Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stephens Green Job Queue.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

O'Morris wrote: »

I would say in reply: Where were all of the eastern Europeans last Wednesday?

In Eastern Europe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭O'Morris

thebman wrote: »
    In Eastern Europe?

If only that was true. The hole we're in now wouldn't be as deep if all the eastern Europeans were in eastern Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

The point I'm making is that the under-representation of EU-nationals in the queue is in need of an explanation…
    Fair enough.
    …as much as the under-representation of Irish people in the queue is in need of an explanation. We know why the Irish were under-represented but where were all the Eastern Europeans?
    Last I checked, the EU comprised of more than just “Eastern Europe”.
    If you read the article in the Irish Times from Monday you'll see that the conclusion drawn (at least judging by the title) is that the Irish were under-represented because they wouldn't take the jobs on offer.
    While I admit that the reports should be taken with a pinch of salt, it does seem that there were very few Irish people (or, more generally, EU nationals) applying for these jobs. So what’s your explanation?
    As an example, this is a quote from earlier in this thread by a poster with the username djpbarry:
    For the last number of months I've been reading posts from Irish posters here on boards telling of all the jobs they were applying for that scarcely even yielded an interview. Where were all of ye last Wednesday?
    I would say in reply: Where were all of the eastern Europeans last Wednesday?
    Which doesn’t really make a whole lot of sense, considering the context in which I asked the question. My point was (as I’m sure you can quite clearly see) that there’s been many an Irish poster on here (you included) in recent times either complaining about foreigners taking jobs that Irish people could be doing, or, complaining about the fact that they don’t seem to be able to find any form of employment. With this in mind (and assuming boards.ie to be a microcosm of Irish society in general), I find it a little odd that (apparently – I stress) so few Irish people were interested in these particular jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

djpbarry wrote: »
    Seems quite a lot of people did notice it – perhaps they have better eyesight than you and your friends?

Did you notice it? Everyone i've spoken to in conversations about t hat video& story never knew about the jobs as well.
    :rolleyes: You’re clutching at straws now. Unemployed people aren’t supposed to be “hanging around” anywhere – they’re supposed to be looking for work.

No straws. I'd expect them to be looking at the papers, going to FAS, surf the Irish job sites etc.
    Not walking past a window at least once a day on a street in the hope someone puts up a vacancy sign.

Your theory is disproven anyway by evidence of posters saying the Brazilian community has great networking rather than all 500-2000 of them walking past that Londis every day in vein hope.

gurramok wrote: »
    Did you notice it? Everyone i've spoken to in conversations about t hat video& story never knew about the jobs as well.

Your theory is disproven anyway by evidence of posters saying the Brazilian community has great networking rather than all 500-2000 of them walking past that Londis every day in vein hope.
    Right well that explains everything then. Unemployed Irish people apparently never venture in the direction of Stephen’s Green so couldn’t possibly have known about these jobs. This “fact”, coupled with the Brazilian community’s apparent ability to communicate telepathically with each other while simultaneously hiding job vacancies from the locals, gives us a neat little explanation for what was at first glance, a rather puzzling little observation.

Great – glad we’ve cleared that up.

• Advertisement

Right well that explains everything then. Unemployed Irish people apparently never venture in the direction of Stephen’s Green so couldn’t possibly have known about these jobs. This “fact”, coupled with the Brazilian community’s apparent ability to communicate telepathically with each other while simultaneously hiding job vacancies from the locals, gives us a neat little explanation for what was at first glance, a rather puzzling little observation.

Nope, nothing about telepathic powers. Common sense really, its called word of mouth amongst a small group of people.

Glad we've cleared that up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

You are both being facetious now, its not helping your points.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

Very Childish reponse to a straight forward opinion from the poster. Looks like more people disagree with your "liberal" stance on open boarder no questions asked immigration policy.

I think you would be better putting to together a valid argument on why no EU citizens were in the queue as you seem to be some form of unofficial spokesperson for that community given your stance on other posts - I would guess you don't know and O’MORRIS posts hit the nail on the head, the hard working EE we hear about ad nauseum prefer the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

Where were all the Irish people? Well maybe they thought better not to participate in this marketing charade. Dispicable behaviour by Griffin group, using desperate people for their own ends. A serious employer that had respect for their staff wouldn't conduct this stunt. What was wrong with CV and call back for interview?

SWL wrote: »
    Looks like more people disagree with your "liberal" stance on open boarder no questions asked immigration policy.
    I support an open-border, no-questions-asked immigration policy? That's news to me.
    I think you would be better putting to together a valid argument on why no EU citizens were in the queue as you seem to be some form of unofficial spokesperson for that community...
    I don't speak for the whole of the EU, no.
    I would guess you don't know and O’MORRIS posts hit the nail on the head, the hard working EE we hear about ad nauseum prefer the dole.
    Sure, it's a possibility, but you, like O'Morris, seem to be intentionally missing my point.

• Advertisement

We shoud follow the British example of limiting available vacancies to EU nationals where there is no shortage of skills and where the unemployment rate is skyrocketing.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/apr/29/migrant-workers-recession

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Shocking. Updated demographics aside, it looks like a scene from Strumpet City.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The Irish were probably all down the pub drinking their dole money and complaining about the foreigners taking their jobs. I don't know why there were so few eastern Europeans in the queue though. Unlike the Irish, they probably have a valid excuse, an excuse which I'm sure the people continually putting down Irish people will be happy to provide on their behalf.
    Uh-huh.

I've been in that shop 4 or 5 times in the last month and saw nothing of any job vacancies.

Stop talking out of your arse please.

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    I've been in that shop 4 or 5 times in the last month and saw nothing of any job vacancies.
    It seems the original point is being overlooked here.

The fact that the signs were apparently not terribly well displayed, coupled with the fact that unemployed Irish people apparently do not “hang around” in the vicinity of Stephen’s Green, was offered as an explanation for the lack of Irish people applying for these jobs. So what do we take from that? One or two persons of a brown complexion noticed the signs and told all of their countrymen? Is Stephen’s Green a popular hang-out for unemployed Pakistanis and Brazilians? There were apparently some Irish people who knew about the jobs; did they not inform anyone else? Word of mouth didn’t spread among Irish people? No Irish people noticed the queue on this particle day and thought to themselves “Hmm, I wonder what’s going on here?

If we assume that the reports are accurate (few people seem to be questioning the demographic make-up of the applicants), then it seems to me that the most likely explanation for the absence of Irish people (or EU nationals if we’re going to be a bit more general) from the queue is because they simply weren’t interested in the jobs on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

This the Londis next to the park? If you've f**k all to do, and want to hang with your homies, how about at the park? Catch the rays, play some ball. Sure, if you get thirsty, you'll goto a nearby shop, and whilst there, you see a sign?

It seems the original point is being overlooked here.

The fact that the signs were apparently not terribly well displayed, coupled with the fact that unemployed Irish people apparently do not “hang around” in the vicinity of Stephen’s Green, was offered as an explanation for the lack of Irish people applying for these jobs. So what do we take from that? One or two persons of a brown complexion noticed the signs and told all of their countrymen? Is Stephen’s Green a popular hang-out for unemployed Pakistanis and Brazilians? There were apparently some Irish people who knew about the jobs; did they not inform anyone else? Word of mouth didn’t spread among Irish people? No Irish people noticed the queue on this particle day and thought to themselves “Hmm, I wonder what’s going on here?

If we assume that the reports are accurate (few people seem to be questioning the demographic make-up of the applicants), then it seems to me that the most likely explanation for the absence of Irish people (or EU nationals if we’re going to be a bit more general) from the queue is because they simply weren’t interested in the jobs on offer.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

You saying Irish/EU nationals cannot communicate properly now?:D

Maybe all those brown faces were Irish\EU nationals so they were indeed interested in the positions on offer:P

djpbarry wrote:
    Last I checked, the EU comprised of more than just “Eastern Europe”.

Eastern Europeans are well represented in both the workforce and on the dole queues in this country and so I would have expected them to be equally well represented in that queue on Stephen's Green. If, as it appears, they were outnumbered by non-EU nationals then that raises an interesting question.

djpbarry wrote:
    While I admit that the reports should be taken with a pinch of salt, it does seem that there were very few Irish people (or, more generally, EU nationals) applying for these jobs. So what’s your explanation?

My explanation is that there are so many people in the country competing for such a small number of jobs that any new jobs that are put on the market are quickly swamped by people who have more of an incentive to apply for them than people who are on the dole and who therefore already have a source of income. Non-EU nationals and people newly arrived in the country are less likely to be eligible to receive the dole and so they will be far more determined to get their hands on any new jobs than people who are on the dole in this country. That would explain why both the lazy Irish and the hard-working Doles on the pole were under-represented in that queue.

If our government hadn't operated an open-borders, let-them-all-in policy over the last few years and if Londis had advertised their jobs properly and if we didn't have such a generous social welfare system then I've no doubt that all of the vacancies would have eventually been filled by unemployed Irish people, the same kind of people who would have been happy to work in those jobs 5 or 6 years ago.

djpbarry wrote:
    Which doesn’t really make a whole lot of sense, considering the context in which I asked the question. My point was (as I’m sure you can quite clearly see) that

Your point seems to be based on the assumption that it's mainly unemployed Irish people who have a problem with foreigners taking our jobs. From my experience, most of the people complaining about foreigners taking our jobs (myself included) are taxpayers who are already in employment and who have an interest in seeing Irish jobs being filled by people who are receiving welfare payments in this country. I don't want to see my taxes being used to support hard-working Doles on the pole who should be out making an effort to get back into employment.

Remember as well that while Irish people might be under-represented on that queue for the Londis interviews, there is evidence that they're also under-represented on the dole queues.

djpbarry wrote:
    there’s been many an Irish poster on here (you included) in recent times either complaining about foreigners taking jobs that Irish people could be doing

That's correct and people are still complaining about the problem and the number of people complaining about the problem will increase further along with the dole queues.

I'm not blaming the foreigners themselves for taking the jobs but I think is worth drawing attention to a serious problem that is going to make dealing with the recession in this country much more difficult than it is in other countries.

djpbarry wrote:
    With this in mind (and assuming boards.ie to be a microcosm of Irish society in general), I find it a little odd that (apparently – I stress) so few Irish people were interested in these particular jobs.

And you don't find it odd that other EU nationals didn't seem to be interested in these jobs either?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

Maybe as a foreigner i might be a slightly better informed on some home truths. There are some jobs for some companies you will not get, so no point in wasting your time and trying. When i was living in London there was no point in applying for job in PC World. If you are not Indian you will not get it full stop.
    Some PC World shops operate the same way here in Ireland. You cant prove anything, and you can use racist card if you want but that will not change the outcome.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    There'd be alot more Brazilian people in the country than you'd think. A fair few people I went to college with shared accommodation with Brazilians.

God knows why they would want to be here working in a Londis rather than Brazil...

Don't tell them that.

I would be amazed if the most xenophobic anti-immigrant racist in the country didn't want us to have more Brazilians here.

The girls are hot, the blokes are good at football. I can't see any downside, but the last thing we should do is remind them of home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Marcio.souza

Im brazilian,i watched that movie on website that we have in brazil,called orkut,its like a facebook.Everybody was shocked by the numbers of brazilians on the queue.Some of the brazilians just come here to learn english,like me,travel in europe,I will be back to brazil next year,because i think now,my english is good enough.So can have a good job in Brazil.I just work to pay the bills,live and travel sometimes.I didnt come for money.

There are certains jobs that the irish doesn't do it,usually the foreigns they accept to do it,because of bad english or something else.But with this hole problem in the world,called "recession" that started affecting Ireland,I think Ireland will start changing.People will see that its not a shame of cleaning,working in Mc'donalds,Working centra,whatever.But this take time to people change,few years.With people loosing jobs,factorys closing or going to another country.But that number on the queue soon will change,because it YOUR country,not mine.The irish will starting doing that kind of job,that basically foreigns are doing now.

Just my 2 cents.

Marcio

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I don't want to see my taxes being used to support hard-working Doles on the pole who should be out making an effort to get back into employment.

I LOVE it........... :D :eek: :D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭white apples

I can't believe that nobody has considered the following in the 4 pages of this discussion.

The reason why there were so few EU / Irish people is because they get the dole.

Why would they want to work in a menial job to earn a tiny bit more money than they're getting for doing nothing?

I can't believe that nobody has considered the following in the 4 pages of this discussion.

The reason why there were so few EU / Irish people is because they get the dole.

Why would they want to work in a menial job to earn a tiny bit more money than they're getting for doing nothing?

Are you trying to imply that some of these doles on the pole need a kick up the hole?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Are you trying to imply that some of these doles on the pole need a kick up the hole?

Morris,O Morris....are you perchance aspiring to membership of Aosdàna,and the customary application for Tax Exempt status for your ......"Work".????

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭white apples

I think it'll take a bit more than that to motivate the unemployed into menial jobs where the difference in earnings could be as little as 40 or 50 a week. Can't blame them really.

Advertisement