Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bear Grylls in Ireland

Options
  • 26-04-2009 2:17pm
    Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,226 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Where exactly was he anyone know? I thought some of loked like Glenveagh.

What ye think of it? I gotta say i enjoyed it and found some of it quite interesting but at the same time i thought it was quite funny too in a way considering he was probably never more than a couple of hours from civilisation,especially when he was on the coast.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Bear Grylls, the man you love to hate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭IPNA

I couldn't believe he ate the raw sheep's heart. Or to be more precise, acted like he ate it. This guy is going to get someone seriously injured or killed if they think that what he is doing is actually about survival.
    Come on, he climbed up a 15m cliff and instead of down climbing said it was safe to just jump back into the water. Seriously!
    And the sheep sleeping bag.........I thought I was watching Father Ted for awhile there......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

It was a bit unbelievable in fairness. Being on the coast, he would have never been more than a few hundred yards from a track or road.
    He would have been better off landing in the wicklow mountains or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

IPNA wrote: »
    And the sheep sleeping bag.........I thought I was watching Father Ted for awhile there......

I thought the sheep sleeping bag thing was pretty innovative, was it not a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There have been a few threads on this recently including this one ...

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055527251&highlight=grylls

and this older one where someone on the thread (see post #19) seems to know excatly where he was ...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055371066

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

I like Bear Grylls and I like the show but seeing the episode in Ireland does make you think just how much editing must go into the show. The first few times I saw the show I thought that he just went somewhere for a few days and tried get from point A (somewhere in the wild) to point B (somewhere civilised) over the course of a few days. I used to think he could easily fake this if he wanted but I was giving him the benefit of the doubt for the most part. The more I learned about the show, the more I realised that a lot of it was contrived, but I think the episode in Ireland was a bit of an eye-opener.

Having said all that, I am inclined to believe that Bear has a lot of skills. I'd love to see him do just one real survival mission similar to one of his shows (in a tropical jungle might be the most interesting) on a live online feed so he has no opportunity to fake it. It wouldn't even have to be crazy dangerous, just enough to show that he's capable of doing it for real - then I could go back to just enjoying the show without caring about the realism. If I was fully convinced that he could do it for real I wouldn't mind that the show was contrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

bear grylls.
    entertainment 10/10
    role model for survival skills and good thinking? -1000/10
    best way to "survive" in wicklow is to bring a well equiped wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Jimbo wrote: »
    He would have been better off landing in the wicklow mountains or something.

Or Limerick!

cfitz wrote: »
    I thought the sheep sleeping bag thing was pretty innovative, was it not a good idea?

It was flamboyant. If he really wanted to use the sheeps wool, he would cover his torso. You loose much more of your core heat from your torso, not your legs.
    He also stuffed a few arm loads of moss into a hollow in some stones and was surprised that he spent the night (supposedly) cold and wet.

Don't get me wrong. A sheeps wool would be a high commodity in a survival situation. Just not as a leg condom.....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Having finally the ability to compare what he does elsewhere to what he did in Ireland I'm more convinced then ever that the entire show is BS.

I mean when are you ever going to be in any situation like that anywhere in Ireland. Even in the remotest part of Clare or Wicklow you're never more than 1-2 hours from a road and 3-4 from houses and an easy waalkout/escape...

You'd only ever be in that situation if you wanted to be or were completly totally utterly incompetant at everything including walking:pac::pac:

• Advertisement

You'd only ever be in that situation if you wanted to be or were completly totally utterly incompetant at everything including walking:pac::pac:

Bear Grylls is the Father Ted of survival.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Look up the pics of him when "a bear" disturbed him while he was sleeping in a tent. Was a guy in a costume. Daily Mail exposed all his stuff a couple of years ago. He made like he was sleeping in a tree one night, cameras turned off he got down and went to stay in a five-star hotel. He's done a lot of stuff for real but the show is entirely faked. It even says it in the credits - The producers may have put him in certain situations blah blah blah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

cfitz wrote: »

I'm taking it to Dragons Den

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

I couldn't believe he ate the raw sheep's heart. Or to be more precise, acted like he ate it. This guy is going to get someone seriously injured or killed if they think that what he is doing is actually about survival.
    Come on, he climbed up a 15m cliff and instead of down climbing said it was safe to just jump back into the water. Seriously!

He actually mentions on his website that he trys to avoid red meat for "health reasons":D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Bear Grylls is the Father Ted of survival.....

LOL, thats good, in fact I'm stealing it...:D

LOL, thats good, in fact I'm stealing it...:D

No Bother...Have a go....

But I think that he makes a better Father Dougal McGuire

Advertisement