Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quays Project Pix

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

They're missing the hovercars and "no 4 storey" placards...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Seen this ages ago. Nothing decent is ever going to be done with the quays unfortunately. Too much humming and hawing and the preservtion of bull**** brigade constantly interfering. *sigh* No wonder no-one ever takes us seriously.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Fajitas! wrote: »

I believe one of those shops sells the Grays Sports Almanac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Asmodean wrote: »
    Seen this ages ago. Nothing decent is ever going to be done with the quays unfortunately. Too much humming and hawing and the preservtion of bull**** brigade constantly interfering. *sigh* No wonder no-one ever takes us seriously.

Too much loser talk as well.

Could you define loser talk Merlante? Just curious :)

• Advertisement

Asmodean wrote: »
    Could you define loser talk Merlante? Just curious :)

Negative failure talk, like "we're going to fail in the future, because we're a failure now and because nothing and nobody has ever out of this woe-begotten town. Don't plan anything because nothing will ever happen." That sort of thing. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Fajitas! wrote: »

Just relased new Pic of development.

78455.jpg

(Apologies for the crewdness of pic just don't have as much free time today :))

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

2365167051_bb2e044365.jpg?v=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

If someone with graphic design experience wants to take over on the BTTF picture I'm hapy to hand it over to them. Not looking at anyone in particular :cool:

Again a bit early for photoshopping but you get the point! :D
    f_070524top10m_9f0298a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Kilkenny County Council have rejected the application.

Waterford City Council are still awaiting a further infromation request which expires in a few days.

Ffs.

And Jury's is turning in to just another eyesore on the side of the river.

Sully wrote: »
    Kilkenny County Council have rejected the application.

Hilarious. I wonder what reason they gave? It's a Waterford city issue plain and simple. I suppose it has something to do with the turf war over the greater Ferrybank area, what with that failed shopping centre they got built against Waterford City Council's objections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

merlante wrote: »
    Hilarious. I wonder what reason they gave? It's a Waterford city issue plain and simple. I suppose it has something to do with the turf war over the greater Ferrybank area, what with that failed shopping centre they got built against Waterford City Council's objections.

...and you remember the reason McCan't gave for not objecting to the shopping centre . A: Kilkenny was too far to go to lodge an objection; same reason he gave for not objecting to the Butlerston retail park, in that Dungarvan was too far away

Yet he finds the time to go to Kilkenny and lodge an objection against the Ard Ri??????

the more and more he does and doesn't do, the more and more I am inclined to think he wants to stop Waterford from developing at all costs, and will block anytihng which is positive and not block anything which takes away from the City

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

They appealed it from what I can gather.

http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/PlanningDetails.aspx?FileNo=08822
    The application is threefold in nature. [b[Two of the sites are in the Waterford city area of jurisdiction and the third (so demarcated as a result of the county boundary) falls within County Kilkenny. [/b] The development, although straddling the county boundary, has to be viewed in its larger context.

I laughed..
    The overall proposal seems extremely ambitious considering the size of Waterford City. Particularly on the Kilkenny side the proposal as stands seems to neglect development standards in order to maximise densities.

Bitter much?
    Reasons & Considerations for Decision on Planning Ref. P08/822.

1. The proposed development includes for housing provision in an area designated in the Ferrybank- Belview Local Area Plan 2009 as “Passive Open Space”, where the objective is to provide for passive open space, green links and biodiversity conservation and wherein housing provision is not allowed. The proposed development would therefore contravene materially a development objective indicated in the Ferrybank-Belview Local Area Plan for the area and the development is considered contrary to the proper planning and development of the area.

2. The proposed development does not meet the development standards as required and set out in the Kilkenny County Development Plan 2008 and the Ferrybank - Belview Local Area Plan 2009. Also, the proposed development, by reason of limited spacing between certain blocks of buildings and vast differences in elevations between adjacent buildings, will lead to overlooking which will seriously injure the residential amenities of residents of the development. The shortfall in design standards together with the potential impact of the residential amenities will seriously detract from the quality of life provided by the development and will be contrary to the proper planning and development of the area.

Bards: He may have made the objection on the Waterford side, rather then the Kilkenny side.

EDIT: The Kilkenny site doesnt show who objects but the Waterford site does. He did object in Waterford along with..
    Brendan McCann 169 Viewmount 04/07/2008 07/07/2008
    Iarnrod Eireann Divisional Engineers Office 10/07/2008 10/07/2008
    DOEHLG Development Applications Unit 14/07/2008 15/07/2008
    George and Antoinette Kavangh C/O John Stewart & Assoc. Architects 14/07/2008 15/07/2008
    Miriam Cass & Mary Higgins Rocklands 21/07/2008 22/07/2008
    An Taisce - The National Trust for Irela Tailor's Hall 31/07/2008 31/07/2008
    Port of Waterford Company C/O Colin Buchanan 8 Windsor Place 18/07/2008 21/07/2008
    Health Service Executive HSE South 05/08/2008 05/08/2008
    Dennis Murphy 7 Belmont Road 21/07/2008 22/07/2008
    Trees for Life c/o Jody Power, Chairman 21/07/2008 22/07/2008

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Trees for Life?

Also they have appealed it. The decession might be due around August.

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/233383.htm

Bards: He may have made the objection on the Waterford side, rather then the Kilkenny side.

EDIT: The Kilkenny site doesnt show who objects but the Waterford site does. He did object in Waterford along with..

according to Waterford News & Star he did

http://www.waterford-news.com/news/story/?trs=mhauojojsn&cat=news

"Submissions were received by Kilkenny County Council from Brenadan McCann, George and Antoinette Kavanagh and Paul McTernan.
    "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

mike65 wrote: »
    Trees for Life?

Yep...not just for Christmas!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Indeed! I'm surprised the Mom and Apple Pie party weren't on that list.

Why the hell did the Health Board... Ah f*ck it... I give up.

They appealed it from what I can gather.

http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/PlanningDetails.aspx?FileNo=08822

I laughed..

Bitter much?

Just had a flick through. Lots of talk about it not obeying the Ferrybank/Belview local area plan, and it not being a city centre site (it would be very nearly be city centre if it was built of course) and lots of whinging about height and scale and use on that basis. It really looks like a childish smackdown of Waterford, which is what strikes me from the subtext.

Trying to make a site partially in Waterford city, and part of Waterford city's natural, contiguous expansion north side of the river, sound like a nuclear power plan is being built in a pristine rural paradise, miles from civilisation, is misrepresenting the facts to say the least.

Agreed. Id trust the Board to make the right decession but I do wonder is the scale of the development and its apperance appropriate for the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

It's appearence is certainly not appropriate for the era...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

...and it not being a city centre site.

Hah????

What are they talking about? The Ard Rí is in the city centre. It's no more than 600m from the Clock Tower as the crow flies (as close as Railway Square or Canada St). It's right behind the railway station, and it's visible from the entire length of the Quay.

It may be administratively in Co Kilkenny, but that's about as relevant as being administratively part of Mars. Can they not just agree to let Waterford City Council be the lead authority on this decision? This approach works in the case of road schemes, where the local authority with the "biggest bit" leads the scheme, even though it may be partly in other council areas.

In fairness, a development of this size will effect nearby residents a lot.

And if they turn to Waterford CityCo, they'll be told where to shove it. As much as they shouldn't have the power to make the final decision, KK CoCo do need to have a say in it.

KingLoser wrote: »
    In fairness, a development of this size will effect nearby residents a lot.

And if they turn to Waterford CityCo, they'll be told where to shove it. As much as they shouldn't have the power to make the final decision, KK CoCo do need to have a say in it.

...just like the new neighbourhood shopping centre for ferrybank that Waterford City Council didn't have a say in, even though it affects the City more so than the county and is bigger than City Square, Lisduggan & the hyper put together.

sooner the administrative boundary is re-drawn the better

Bards wrote: »
    ...just like the new neighbourhood shopping centre for ferrybank that Waterford City Council didn't have a say in, even though it affects the City more so than the county and is bigger than City Square, Lisduggan & the hyper put together.

sooner the administrative boundary is re-drawn the better
    Two wrongs don't make a something.

I can agree with redrawing the admin boundary though, just looking at the North/South balance shows how desperately badly that's needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

KingLoser wrote: »
    Two wrongs don't make a something.

I can agree with redrawing the admin boundary though, just looking at the North/South balance shows how desperately badly that's needed.

In the good old days we could just invade the place and call it our own. Of course that's not acceptable in these times. Instead I propose a meeting between Waterford City Council and Kilkenny County Council where a best-of-three game of "Rock, Paper, Scissors" decides all with the winner deciding where the boundary goes.

Assuming we win we should definitely build exactly what's in the picture in the first post and name it after something from "Back to the Future".

100045waterford5.jpg

Advertisement