Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quays Project Pix

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Kahless wrote: »
    It just occured to me that they may just be setting up fireworks on the roof for Spraoi.

Not a tad bit early for that, no? Security and safety wise like.

Also, what fireworks need a crane to be lifted onto the building?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Perhaps not the fireworks themselves, but certainly the equipment used for firing them. Work on the SkyFest started over a week before the show, so it's late if anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Sully wrote: »
    Not a tad bit early for that, no? Security and safety wise like.

Also, what fireworks need a crane to be lifted onto the building?

Fecken big ones! :D

Seriously though, why would they have fireworks released from there? The best fireworks are the ones above your head. I imagine releasing them from the Ard Ri would lessen their effect from the Quay?

Perhaps the owners have managed to flog some fixtures and fittings and need the crane?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭deise48

i heard a rumour they are turning it into a old folks home

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

Saw a mobile/trucked mounted crane parked coming out the gate on the way home from work there at about 6pm. Whatever they were at they seem to have finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭shanemul

Looked to be putting something up on the roof when I passed yesterday afternoon so could be the fireworks or they could just be adding another Mobile phone mast to the roof

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

deise48 wrote: »
    i heard a rumour they are turning it into a old folks home

Not saying you're wrong or anything, but you can check the veracity or otherwise of said rumour on the City Council's planning lists, since turning it into an old folks' home would constitute change of use.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

fricatus wrote: »
    Not saying you're wrong or anything, but you can check the veracity or otherwise of said rumour on the City Council's planning lists, since turning it into an old folks' home would constitute change of use.

Plus, they (IIRC) have appealed the councils rejection for the hotel to APB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

i think the fireworks will be set off from the middle of the river on a barge or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

They should switch on some of the lights at night to spell JOBS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Or just leave them off to stop wasting energy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Jor

I think there are a lot of phone masts still operating from the roof of the building. The crane may have had something to do with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Jor wrote: »
    I think there are a lot of phone masts still operating from the roof of the building. The crane may have had something to do with that.

Maybe, I know there was a crane out by Oskars this week working on the 3G equipment that's on the roof of the brasscock centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Meteor are doing 3G upgrades at the moment, met them at another site, so again, thats possible.

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Used to work there, it's a shame what happened to it. Was a lovely spot.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It's a horrible, ugly and dated structure.

It must have seemed like a dream from the future in 1970 or whenever it was built, but today it's just a sad reminder of a simpler past.

Something needs to be done about the place. It can't stay derelict forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

JupiterKid wrote: »
    It's a horrible, ugly and dated structure.

It must have seemed like a dream from the future in 1970 or whenever it was built, but today it's just a sad reminder of a simpler past.

Something needs to be done about the place. It can't stay derelict forever.

Too right, what an eyesore. Looks horrible, like a block of cheap flats. Should be knocked down and rebuilt as something good. Unless an extremely major exterior renovation can be completed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TriceMarie

Ahhh,where's the love??:o:P

I used to love Jurys back in the olden days!
    I thinks it's an unusual/lovely spot for a hotel,and they should reopen it and keep it as one.(why did they close anyway?)
    And that view,come on,you have to admit it was lovely!
    Awww,I remember when I was lickle rolling down the hill :D fun times!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I don't think anyone is saying it isn't a nice spot. Just a terrible building.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Redundo

I'm looking at the building out of my window right now and it is a rotten eyesore. It looks like a slum building that would shame even Ballymun. The site there will never work while the main entrance is onto the Wexford road. The building needs to be levelled and the entire site laid out differently. If you ask me, the best use for it would be as a public park. Ferrybank could use a public space like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

TriceMarie wrote: »
    Ahhh,where's the love??:o:P

I used to love Jurys back in the olden days!
    I thinks it's an unusual/lovely spot for a hotel,and they should reopen it and keep it as one.(why did they close anyway?)
    And that view,come on,you have to admit it was lovely!
    Awww,I remember when I was lickle rolling down the hill :D fun times!!!!

lol me too !
    I used to live in the Glenn in the 80s and went over there to roll down the hill ! lol

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Does anyone know who owns it / is in charge of it now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Redundo wrote: »
    I'm looking at the building out of my window right now and it is a rotten eyesore. It looks like a slum building that would shame even Ballymun. The site there will never work while the main entrance is onto the Wexford road. The building needs to be levelled and the entire site laid out differently. If you ask me, the best use for it would be as a public park. Ferrybank could use a public space like that.

actually what id like to see is a Castle remake, sounds crazy? in the 1800s O Briens tower was constructed on the Cliffs of Moher to encourage tourism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ladylilly21

Silverfish wrote: »
    Does anyone know who owns it / is in charge of it now?

As far as I know Brian McEniff is the owner.

Article in todays Waterford News & Star is that this development has now been appealed to ABP with a decession due in November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Sully wrote: »
    Article in todays Waterford News & Star is that this development has now been appealed to ABP with a decession due in November 2011
    Fixed to take in the many many delays that are gonna happen

One more thing.. I merged all Ard Ri related discussions into one thread to avoid confusion. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

dinnerlady wrote: »
    As far as I know Brian McEniff is the owner.

is it not the fella who owns cork city fc?

http://www.waterford-today.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3299&Itemid=10343&ed=317

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TriceMarie

magick wrote: »
    lol me too !
    I used to live in the Glenn in the 80s and went over there to roll down the hill ! lol

:D*sigh* those were the days!!! :p
    Not a care in the world!

• Advertisement

Full news article..
    THE decision of Waterford City Council to refuse planning for the proposed redevelopment of the Ard Rí site has been appealed to An Bord Pleanala.

Last month city council rejected the plan submitted by TRM developments citing two reasons for the decision.

The report said that the Planning Authority was not satisfied that it had been “satisfactorily demonstrated that development proposed would not have an inhibiting effect on the redevelopment potential of the North Quays, whose redevelopment is an objective of the National Development Plan, the South East Regional Planning Guidelines and the Waterford City Development Plan.”

The decision to refuse was also based on the assumption that the development, due to its scale, would represent a “gross over development of the site”.

An objection to the plans has already been lodged with the City Council by the Department of the Environment and a decision is due on November 24.

http://waterford-news.ie/news/story/?trs=mhkfausnsn&cat=news

Advertisement