Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Banned????

• 26-04-2009 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

ok got a second hand xbox yesterday, then went out and bought a 60gb hard drive. went home to go on line and it failed apperantly the xbox has been banned!!!! called ms and they said no they cant unban it. basically all i want to do is watch avi's on it does anyone know where i can download the avi update. or is there a way to unban it apart from the changing motherboard codes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

I'd return the xbox. Too much trouble for yourself to go through, you should have been made aware if it was banned from xbox live.

You can only download System Updates and burn them to a dvd/cd to update your console. Can you not even get a silver account? Why if all you wanted to do was play avi's would you get a 60gb hard drive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

What a ****ing gyp op!! Definitely bring it back. From which establishment did you buy it? Some sneaky yoke trying to flog it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Iguana Bob

i traded in two games and it was only 6 euro on top of that so figured didnt matter. as for the xbox just got it of some random guy and he wont answer. i may go throught the effort to change the xbox codes some other time but for now i dont really have the time to spend tryin to figure out how to do it
    do you know the address to get the downloads off the net cant find them on the xbox site

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I believe the Video codec can only be downloaded via XBL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I'd hunt the guy down tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

It's one of those things you need to check when buying a second-hand 360, whether it has had any hardware issues in the past, and if it is flagged on Live or something.

I'd try and find the guy who sold it to you and give him what for, if I were you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I'd hunt the guy down tbh

+1!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

You have my sympathy. Not a nice thing to happen. But ultimately, its your own fault. You shouldn't buy something second hand without trying it out first.

Asking to see a game on live wouldve been the first thing I woulda asked the guy before purchasing it. Nearly everyone who has a 360 has tried out the online at one point or another so if he tried to claim he didn't have a live account, hes lying and you shouldn't buy it.

It's not nice but buyer beware and all that. Ive seen some perfectly nice people here on boards screw people over on adverts.ie with sales. Most people have great scruples and morals untill it comes to money :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,648 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Did MS give you a reason why it was banned? Could it be because it was stolen, in that case get onto the guards and they can do the hunting for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Iguana Bob wrote: »
    ok got a second hand xbox yesterday, then went out and bought a 60gb hard drive. went home to go on line and it failed apperantly the xbox has been banned!!!! called ms and they said no they cant unban it. basically all i want to do is watch avi's on it does anyone know where i can download the avi update. or is there a way to unban it apart from the changing motherboard codes

Look on the bright side op, its probably already modified :)

+1 for hunting the guy down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Kirby wrote: »
    You have my sympathy. Not a nice thing to happen. But ultimately, its your own fault. You shouldn't buy something second hand without trying it out first.

Asking to see a game on live wouldve been the first thing I woulda asked the guy before purchasing it. Nearly everyone who has a 360 has tried out the online at one point or another so if he tried to claim he didn't have a live account, hes lying and you shouldn't buy it.

It's not nice but buyer beware and all that. Ive seen some perfectly nice people here on boards screw people over on adverts.ie with sales. Most people have great scruples and morals untill it comes to money :P

Not all..over 30million xboxes sold (360) and 17 million on live. So there's a few floating around.
    tbh I wouldn't have checked for that either..but hindsight's a great thing isn't it ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

duploelabs wrote: »
    Did MS give you a reason why it was banned? Could it be because it was stolen, in that case get onto the guards and they can do the hunting for you.

Possibly but more than likely its because it was modded and being used online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Not all..over 30million xboxes sold (360) and 17 million on live. So there's a few floating around.
    tbh I wouldn't have checked for that either..but hindsight's a great thing isn't it ;)
    Thats cause the other 13 million are broken :pac:
    *runs for the hills*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Iguana Bob

i honestly didnt know a specific xbox could be blocked from live thought it was just accounts. but now i know
    ps perfectly working xbox for sale €120
    only messin

It was flashed and banned.

Id say it was flashed back to original firmware and sold, actually it probably wasn't.

Id guess it still has hacked firmware on it.

Check the error code when you run live test, if its Status Code: Z: 8015 - 190D then it was banned for firmware mod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Iguana Bob wrote: »
    i honestly didnt know a specific xbox could be blocked from live thought it was just accounts. but now i know
    ps perfectly working xbox for sale €120
    only messin

You'd get €120 for a banned 60gb I'd say. I'd pay that anyways

Its the console its self that gets banned, not the account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Thats cause the other 13 million are broken :pac:
    *runs for the hills*

Lols Sadly its true was reading the posts and wondering when someone would throw the sly dig in :P

Advertisement