Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early pregnancy test positive? HELP!

• 26-04-2009 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Can you get a positive pregnancy test 18 days since start day of last period?
    I got my period on 6th April (A very heavy normal period). I did a pregnancy test on 24th April and it was positive, then I did a test morning after and it was negative. I'm really worried as my period isn't due until 1st May! I normally have a 24/25 day cycle. I'm afraid to do another test. Has anyone ever tested 1 week before period is due or 18 days since last period??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

<snip> not even remotely helpful, Horsefumbler. Consider this your first and only warning.

-embee

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

Have never taken a test quite this early but from my experience, it's very rare to get an incorret positive result. Often if test taken too early you may get a false negative but positive is almost always positive. Hope you get result you want. Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

It is unusual, but possible to get a positive test result this early- basically, it would mean that you ovulated early in your cycle (or you could have become pregnant the month before and the last period was an implantation bleed). As the previous poster said, it is unusual to get a false positive, assuming you did the test correctly (you can get false positives if you look at the test after the official test period- ie it usually says to look at the test after 3-10 minutes; if you look half an hour later, you may get a faint false positive). I would suggest testing with another brand in a couple of days, preferably in the mornign after not having drunk much for the last 12 hours, so your urine is concentrated. That gives the most accurate result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Neady80

Hi guys this is my first visit to this site and I hope someone can help me. I had my last period on the 8th of April 09. I did a pregnancy test last night and it was positive. To be on the safe side I did another one first thing this morning and this one was also positive. I then went to see my doctor today and he did a test which turned up negative, he in turn sent it to the lab in the hospital and it came up negative. In the meantime I did another home test and again it came up positive. I checked the exp dates on the tests and they are all 2011. Has this ever happened to anyone. I am sick with worry. I have to go back to my doctor tomorrow with an early morning sample. I am beginning to think I am imagining it all. I was peeing alot before my doctors appointment so maybe the sample was too diluted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

if it helps neady, the test that the doc use are not quite as sensitive as the ones you buy over the counter, first response, clearblue etc, the liklyhood is yes you are pregnant, as a false positive is incredibly rare. most doctors dont even bother re testing, they are happy to take your test as proof. congratulations, test again in the morning with a first response and try to stop worrying!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Neady80 wrote: »
    Hi guys this is my first visit to this site and I hope someone can help me. I had my last period on the 8th of April 09. I did a pregnancy test last night and it was positive. To be on the safe side I did another one first thing this morning and this one was also positive. I then went to see my doctor today and he did a test which turned up negative, he in turn sent it to the lab in the hospital and it came up negative. In the meantime I did another home test and again it came up positive. I checked the exp dates on the tests and they are all 2011. Has this ever happened to anyone. I am sick with worry. I have to go back to my doctor tomorrow with an early morning sample. I am beginning to think I am imagining it all. I was peeing alot before my doctors appointment so maybe the sample was too diluted?

Probably a bit late for you but I was in the same situation last year. Done two tests at home and when I went to the doctor both tests were negative. It took a couple of days for it to show on doc's tests... I now have a beautiful baby girl... It is so traumatic though, when you think you're pregnant and have gotten used to the idea and then the doctor says no... My baby was unplanned but I got back into the car after the appointment and cried my eyes out because I wasn't having a baby... :confused::confused::confused:

Advertisement