Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gettin really nervous now

Options
  • 26-04-2009 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

Ok basically i've a month left to study and i'm shi**ing it! I'm looking for 400 points and I'm doing higher in everything but maths. I'd say got 100 points in the mocks and I'm not feeling very positive bout getting my points anymore. I done really well in the junior but not looking good for the leaving:( How do you guys study for the leaving. Is going over papers the best for me now? I think it's too late to be learning things off by hard! Pleeease help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

I did the leaving 20 years ago when there was no internet... there is SO much available online as regards studying tips, memory improvement exercises, memorizing by association, accelerated learning techniques. Have a look at short videos like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42vvDmnYya0

Give it your very best stab.. and dont panic... its a good time to be at school :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

It is a nervous time for everybody so try to not fall into the trap of feeling sorry for yourself and thereby not getting any work done.
    The best way to deal with nerves.. is to plan out your study and actually study (turn mobile off, have computer monitored by parents, quiet study place, room temp, no distractions). When attempting to study have a plan as to what you want to cover in that period. Make sure to have a review point as soon as you have done your study to reinforce what you learnt.

Past papers are great for building up exam technique but in reality there's no point in doing them if you don't know the stuff in the first place. Your review point could be an exam question based on whatever you learned. Having said if you have a vague knowledge of a topic then maybe exam questions are a way to go to point out the gaps in your knowledge.

Also start studying difficult subjects first then your easiest subjects. If you are losing your concentration after studying the difficult subject- take a break and do a easy subject to keep yourself sane.

Hope this has been some help. Good luck! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

What course do you want to do? Is there another option for 300 points? There's many courses that you can get into by doing well in 'easier' courses. Say you wanted to do an honours degree in UCD. For some courses you can get into that by doing a 3 year ordinary degree in that subject in a different college and then transfer to 3rd year in UCD. It means an extra year in college but some employers prefer candidates who have a wider base to their degree.

So the first thing to do is take the pressure off by having something to fall back on. The leaving by itself doesn't mean much because it's only a stepping stone to the next stage in your education. If you keep thinking 400 points your head is just going to be so fuzzy that you won't be able to take in the information. If you're looking at past papers thinking I need B's in these then it's pressure straight away but if you know D's will do in some subjects then you can focus on what you like first to get some positivity going.

So that's my advice. Know that you have something to fall back on. The other option is to stick to your 400 points aim but have it in the back of your mind that this is just a dummy run for the repeat year. All about clearing your head :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

If i was nervous i wouldnt be spending half my time on this!

Id be off cramming, which i should toddle off again to start it up for another while....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

If you still don't know how to study your totally ****ed tbh.

Your best bet is just doin papers and hoping for the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

Its never too late to study!
    Spend less time thinking about study and more time doing it!
    If I were you I'd be looking over old class tests remembering how you went wrong in order to prevent it in the LC!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

gemxpink wrote: »
    Its never too late to study!
    Spend less time thinking about study and more time doing it!
    If I were you I'd be looking over old class tests remembering how you went wrong in order to prevent it in the LC!!

Couldn't agree more. Sit down, do past papers (no books or cheating) then go and check the answers. Learn from them, review anything you did badly in, and then keep moving on. Papers are great as you don't get bogged down in one section and its more realistic to an exam (i.e. you may have three or four sections in one question.

RELAX :cool:

Advertisement