Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish DF basic fitness equivalent to BFT.

• 26-04-2009 4:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭

A quick question guys, I'm in the throws of trying to regain my basic fitness levels and drop some weight. I'm curious what the Irish DF requirements are, my only comparision is the BA's BFT (thats what it was called wayback when I was a boy) it has a different acronym now.

40 years of age now and I've been jogging now on and off for quite a while but I'm a bit of a slow sod. At my full tilt I can nail 1.5 miles in under 11mins and 3.5 miles with a couple of wee hills under 40mins(yes it hurt, I had a mate chasing me and hes a real runner!) doing the usual push ups and sit ups and dips etc. And recently have started a bit of jogging/tabbing with weight (rocket pouches carrying stuff, weights etc)

So question is whats the equivalent with the DF? and do they take into account your age? Also if some of you are upto speed with the current BA requirements I'd appreciate the details. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I don't have the LIFE test tables to hand atm, but I can tell you that your age & sex is taken into account.

Plus your graded according to your scores.

I'm off for a few days, however if no one responds with the information you require I'll certainly get it in work for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

I don't have the LIFE test tables to hand atm, but I can tell you that your age & sex is taken into account.

http://www.rdf.ie/fitness-test.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I think I have somewhere a table of the fitnees test to do to prepare for the Cadets if your interested?Its an 8 week one I think.It has three levels of intensity,Beginner,Inter and Advanced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Being over 40 you can now do the Girly push-ups, and you get to walk 4.8 Km in around 40 mins. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Well if I'm reading that correctly..only issue I have is my BMI which is 30.3!(slightly tubby bastid!) rest of it ain't too bad..must give that 10km a lash and see how I fair out.

LOL girley pushups!! I like it, I take it we're talking on you knees! :D

Jeez in my reckoning....Grade 1, not bad for an ole bastid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

iceage wrote: »
    Well if I'm reading that correctly..only issue I have is my BMI which is 30.3!(slightly tubby bastid!) rest of it ain't too bad..must give that 10km a lash and see how I fair out.

LOL girley pushups!! I like it, I take it we're talking on you knees! :D

Jeez in my reckoning....Grade 1, not bad for an ole bastid.

Girls like being on their knee's..... yes they are the Modified one's from the knee's. YOu don't HAVE to do them though, only if you Opt to.

Girls like being on their knee's..... yes they are the Modified one's from the knee's. YOu don't HAVE to do them though, only if you Opt to.

Just knocked out 51 under a minute. Happy with that.

Iceage goes to lay down somewhere!

Have to pick a day and knock it all on the head together...Something to work towars I think..

Now....off to the Chinese :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Have to pick a day and knock it all on the head together...Something to work towars I think..

Now....off to the Chinese :)

Be sure to let us know the results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Craigsy

If you're going to run with weights, what i tend to do is to run with large bottles of water in my bag, that way if the going gets too tough you can empty some of it out but still keep some weight in your pack. Whereas if you're carrying rocks when you take them out all of the weight is gone. Thats what i do anyway

• Advertisement

Poccington wrote: »
    Be sure to let us know the results.

Of the chinese?

Of the chinese?

Both. :pac:

Well the sizzling Sirloin in black pepper sauce was spectacular, medium and done to a T! :)

Will come back to you on the LIFE thing. Any more details about it will be welcomed, ie, the rest periods between each event and how long are they? Gonna work myself up on the running with weight thing, rockets filled with weights and shoes wrapped in fleece jackets came to about 12lbs the other day, (must try water, good tip that thanks Craigsy :)) gradually get myself up to 20 or so lbs that should do it I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Generally there will be Part 1 - Screening, followed by a warm up, push ups, sit ups and the run and a cool down. The 10km march is done the second day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Company Sgt

concussion wrote: »
    Generally there will be Part 1 - Screening, followed by a warm up, push ups, sit ups and the run and a cool down. The 10km march is done the second day.

10km march is a bloody run :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭lazybhoy

10km march is a bloody run :D:D:D

What time must it be done in?

lazybhoy wrote: »
    What time must it be done in?

1hr 33mins

Lads, the PDF/RDF ****e won't fly in this Forum.

I'm all for reasonable discussion with regards both PDF and RDF but when you start spouting ****e, expect a slap on the wrist. Consider this a warning, anymore of it and bans will follow

i got an infaction for just having my say thats what its all about. Moderaters these days i tell ya !!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Keep it up and you'll be taking a holiday.

Keep it up and you'll be taking a holiday.

Just having my say like everyone else that ok :D:D

• Advertisement

Just having my say like everyone else that ok :D:D

No, not when you're questioning Moderators decisions and making sweeping and insulting comments about members of the RDF.

End of discussion.

so it ends like that so abrupt you people are only moderaters not GOD !!!!:D;):P:confused::eek::p:pac::D;):rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::):cool:

LOL you guys....as the hairy scousers would say " calm down, calm down!"

Comp.Sgt. you must be about my age...still using the term fca rather than RDF(like myself). So a 10km in 1 hr 33 mins. You up for it?

ah around 1hr 15mins doin well

OOooOO I feel a challenge coming on! :) No pressure on me then....kit or no kit?

OOooOO I feel a challenge coming on! :) No pressure on me then....kit or no kit?

dpms and bag filled to the required weight cant remember off hand

DPM...interesting, NI's or issue i supppose as well? Would only want to keep it real...starting to sweat already, now you sure your up for this, wouldn't want you dropping dead with a heart attack a man of your age cos I'm a bit rusty on the old CPR (is it ABC, or CBA?)

Oh if I'm right I believe its 20lbs. give or take a water bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

Oh if I'm right I believe its 20lbs. give or take a water bottle.

20lbs! :eek:

Is that a turkey or a baby? :D

Twould be a fine turkey that..I'd be calling a Guinness if it was a baby.:pac:

• Advertisement

where'd he go?....Ahh sh!t I was just gonna offer to buy the guy a pint as well. Next time Comp.Sgt.

Sorry for getting drawn into Poc;)

Would it be recomandable doing a bit of cross-country running with weight or is it better to keep it on roads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭pmg58

Would it be recomandable doing a bit of cross-country running with weight or is it better to keep it on roads?

If you mean as preparation for the 10k route march, the march itself is done on the road, so I think it probably makes more sense to keep it on roads.

See thats the question. I did a bit this afternoon cos I'm off and ran 3.5 up, and down a bypass with weight,( yeah I know but i really don't give a sh!t) and in doing so had a fairly close call with a car as I returned home, stumbled on the edge of a kerb to go around him, I think he was more upset than I was!

I absolutely hate running on grass, easier on your knees bollix I prefer tarmac now all that said I was in a cushey pair of Assics(spelling) which give me pins n needles after about 30 mins and that is no joke I can tell ya.

Very true, there arent a whole lot of roads that are suitable, and if you're wearing a large backpack it can have the effect of distracting you, reducing your peripheral vision and raising your centre of gravity, so safety is a major issue.

Running on grass, for example a football pitch, is one thing, cross-country can be a lot worse. Plenty of potential for injuries and the like.

Not really an issue with the pack, I had two rockets zipped together on a yoke slung nice and low(full of stuff):D but yeah agree that the road is the best option at least for up to a 10km. I'm not looking for Wing selection here I just wanna see can I still hack it.

I'd recommend if I may, that anyone wishing to try the same to work up to this if you are an ole fecker like myself...this is purely just an experiment nothing else. Personal injury and all that is down to you and nobody else.

• Advertisement

I was really thinking along the lines of the CEMO, which is a hell of a lot bigger than rockets! But yeah your way is a lot safer and more practical. And anyway with the new IPLCS, PDF wear the smaller patrol packs instead of CEMO for the test now.

1hr 33mins

So 1 mile(1.5kms) in 15.30 minutes.

Do you really need to train for that. Anyone under 40 who does sport or goes even occasionally to the gym or even just walks alot and is the correct weight should easily manage a 15.30 min mile pace.

1mile = 1.6km

Works out at under 15 minutes, but I agree not particularly hard to do. But keep in mind, its done in uniform, including boots, and carrying a backpack.

So 1 mile(1.5kms) in 15.30 minutes.

Do you really need to train for that. Anyone under 40 who does sport or goes even occasionally to the gym or even just walks alot and is the correct weight should easily manage a 15.30 min mile pace.

not so easy when your fully laiden

You call this fully laden ? Its basically a brisk walk over 6 miles carrying a light backpack over flat ground, To be done at a 15.30 min pace for under 30s.Please dont claim its challenging or I will think you are soft, ha.

http://www.62infantry.com/Annual_Fitness_Test.shtml#10k

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Loaded 10 Km march over flat ground wearing combat dress (no headdress), carrying CEMO (Combat Equipment Marching Order).[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]There is no set weight.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Items to be carried in the rucksack. [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Spare combat smock[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Spare combat boots[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Raingear[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Helmet[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Full waterbottle[/FONT]

• Advertisement

You call this fully laden ?

http://www.62infantry.com/Annual_Fitness_Test.shtml#10k

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Loaded 10 Km march over flat ground wearing combat dress (no headdress), carrying CEMO (Combat Equipment Marching Order).[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]There is no set weight.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Items to be carried in the rucksack. [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Spare combat smock[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Spare combat boots[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Raingear[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Helmet[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Full waterbottle[/FONT]

thats actually off the fca website and its not correct and yeah for a soldier of my age and service and overseas trips i would call it fully laiden iv done it all before

thats actually off the fca website and its not correct and yeah for a soldier of my age and service and overseas trips i would call it fully laiden iv done it all before

Its from an official site.

What is fully laden in weight to you ? And why would you choose to do it fully laden when its not required.

Its says there is no minimum weight.

And just how much service do you have exactly? And what trips have you been on?

Feel free to reply here or in PM.

The 10k is probably the cushiest loaded march anyone has to do in the DF.

And just how much service do you have exactly? And what trips have you been on?

Feel free to reply here or in PM.

5 Lebannon 1 Kosovo 28yrs service.

What about you

Will i get an infraction again !!!!:D

5 Lebannon 1 Kosovo 28yrs service.

What about you

Will i get an infraction again !!!!:D

The Leb 5 times and a trip to Kosovo? Really?

Cause I can pull up posts from May last year where you were talking about still waiting to start Recruit Training.

The Leb 5 times and a trip to Kosovo? Really?

Cause I can pull up posts from May last year where you were talking about still waiting to start Recruit Training.

ha you really think id be posting on this if i was a coy sgt its all about bluffing and joking and getting on people nerves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

ha you really think id be posting on this if i was a coy sgt its all about bluffing and joking and getting on people nerves

Trolls get on my nerves, banned for a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

To clarify, it's entirely correct. For anyone who cares, the times are increased depending on age
    17-29 = 1hr33
    30-34 = 1hr39
    35-39 = 1hr45
    40-44 = 1hr51
    45-49 = 1hr57
    50+ = 2hrs

Over 50's do not have to complete part 3 unless they are completing a career course or going overseas.

And yes, it's pretty easy.

I believe the weight of the equipment carried is about 14-15kg, or slightly more than 2 stone, approximately. That isn't fully loaded by any stretch of the imagination.

• Advertisement
Advertisement