Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

9 ducklings but no mother

• 26-04-2009 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭

Today on my garden pond, 9 ducklings, at most 2 days old, but didn't see them yesterday, and no sign of mother duck.
    The ducklings are going about their business scattered over the pond (70m x 30m)
    They are being watched closely by Magpies and Hooded Crows.

I've no idea where the nest was/is. If mother was still about I'm surprised that the duckings don't stay close. It's possible that she is still sitting on dud egg(s) and leaving the youngsters get on with it, but my logic tells me, something has got her within day of hatching.

I'll keep a count on them, but without parental guidance I don't give them very long. They're not staying near the other birds such as the swan.

I'll give updates here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

The 9 was early afternoon, they could be all gone now! A max of 2 left and they got banished from the pond by the Swan and Little Grebe. I'm surprised at the latter. I thought the Moorhens would have most likely to bother them.

The last 2 got into neighbouring stream and I don't hear them anymore, so they may have perished as well. I don't know what has been responsible for taking them, but I'd say various animals involved. I thought some may have lasted till tomorrow.

It may be the case that some of us may think nature is cruel, but that is nature......but my kids would have loved to see ducklings for at least more than one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

If you find them you might ask around for a broody hen and try to slide them under her when she's sleeping, very late at night - this sometimes works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭John Griffin

That was quick alright. Life's a bitch, but kinda cool too.:)
    How are the little grebes, any sign of a nest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

The little grebes have 4-5 eggs. This is the 3rd nest they've built but I don't know if they got as far as laying in the first 2.

The Moorhen is sitting on 8 eggs, most I've ever seen. There was an abandoned mallard nest as well with eggs scattered. Swan is sitting on at least 6 eggs, due in about a week. So its busy time here :D

All sign of chirpping has stopped. I never really considered fostering them. Wouldn't be able to catch them during day anyhow, and if I had a broody hen, I'd want her sitting on hen eggs!

Advertisement