Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being a subtenant

Options
  • 26-04-2009 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

Need some advice:D
    I am going viewing a room in a house share on wednesday, there are 3 tenants in the house and I will be (if I move in) replacing the 4th one who is going away for the summer but whose name is still on the lease, meaning I will be a subtenant.
    What are the main differences as opposed to being a tenant I can expect in this sort of agreement? For example, will I be answerable to the Landlord or just to the other tenants?
    This is new to me and there doesn't seem to be info online about the situation that I can find!
    I suppose I will have to get some sort of formal written agreement and maybe a copy of the original lease.
    Any help appreciated:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

basically, you are answerable to the tenant who's part of the lease you are taking over, and he/she is answerable to the landlord on your behalf.

Personally I never liked subletting my room and tried to avoid it as much as possible because if the subletter causes damage, I'm the tenant and it's my responsibility.

On the other hand, I think as a subletter you have less rights in terms of notice to move out, etc, because you are under license agreement rather than lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You probably wouldn't be a subtenant. You'd be a licensee.

If you are a licensee you essentally have very limited rights. You can write up an agreement for sure, but it means very little and any rights you have under the agreement are unenforceable in practice. It's all about trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

In this scenario can the licensee, or subletter, leave the room before the lease is up? By giving a months notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

eoin2nc wrote: »
    In this scenario can the licensee, or subletter, leave the room before the lease is up? By giving a months notice?

pretty much - you're not on the lease so the same rules don't apply.

Advertisement