Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Army

• 26-04-2009 5:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Are members of army legally allowed to be shareholders/directors in limited companies? Among the older members of my community, they seem very convinced of their answer but nobody is certain.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,521 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Shareholders definitely yes. Directors probably - although time available has obvious constraints. I imagine you need to check the Defence Acts and Companies Acts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

There is no ban per se but it depends on the facts. The main legal handicap appears to be Section 168 of the Defence Act. There is a ban on "conduct prejudicial to good order and military discipline". This is assumed to cover both financial, social and sexual relationships between members of the defence forces. It is considered objectionable for members of the Defence Forces to have close financial and social relations with superior or inferior members. If a member of the defence forces is a business partner of his commanding officer, there is likely to be resentment from other members of the unit and the possibly a lack of dedication to duty.
    Members of the Defence Forces also tend to be abroad for lengthy periods of time. This makes it difficult to comply with obligations under company law to be aware of the affairs of the company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 ro95

I think a contract must be signed to prevent this, i may be mistaken...

Advertisement