Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SuperValu - Repeated Discount Errors

Options
  • 26-04-2009 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭

This is a continuing annoyance.

The latest experience was in SuperValu, Killester where there was a half price offer on yogurts. Suprise, surprise, when it went through the till, it was marked at full price. Thankfully I noticed it before I had left the carpark and, after waiting at the Customer Service desk for an age, I managed to get the money back.

What really irritates me is that:
    1. This has happened (to my knowledge) about half a dozen times in a month. On one occasions three items with discounts were not reduced at the till. I can handle the odd error but this level of incompetence is ridiculous.
    2. More often than not, I dont check my receipt in detail (although, i'll have to stop that practice) and I have probably been overcharged a number of times without me copping it.
    3. The remedy (unless I spot it while it is being scanned) is to wait at the Customer Service desk so I waste my time going back into the store to correct their repeated errors.

This disease is not confined to SuperValu (it happened once in M&S) but they are by far the worst offendor in my experience.

Anyway, rant over.
    Does anyone have similar experiences with SV or is it just me?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

100% agree. Have had the same issue, only ever with discounted goods though - i.e. those which might be 1/2 price for 2 weeks.
    They always blame the computer system not being updated with the offers they they send around to your house. But yet these offers are often then advertised on the shelves also.
    Today, in another Supervalue (but owned by the same group as Killester), I had to go back to the shelf, get the offer, check the dates, and bring it back to the register to prove it should have been reduced. Even then, they had to scan another item with a similar reduced price - i.e. the next person who came along with the same item would possibly have been charged the higher price, unless they managed to get their system updated.
    To be fair, a different item on a 2 for 1 scanned through fine.

And yes, it also happened to be in Eurospar. But when I brought the receipt back a few days later, they gave me the item for free.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

They are lying.. in most stores, the same system prints the shelf-edge labels and updates the register PLU files. This system is also the one that will print out the offer stickers and offer shelf-edge merchandising.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Correct Red Alert as the same database is used for both.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭madmik

its not mistake ,they probably make over a grand a week through these kind of "errors"

i have stopped shopping there completely since i bought steaks for half price and they charged me the full price even though there was a billboard outside the shop displaying the promo
    a sign on the shelf and a sticker on the actual steaks that all said half price :mad:

I dont even enter their shop now ,they can fcuking keep it

They won a fiver that day on the steak ,but they lost a 200euro a week customer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Red Alert wrote: »
    They are lying.. in most stores, the same system prints the shelf-edge labels and updates the register PLU files. This system is also the one that will print out the offer stickers and offer shelf-edge merchandising.

you are correct but the process has to be repeated twice, once for labels a second time to send it to the tills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Happens to me quite regularly in my local SV.

When I've purchase something discounted, I've taken to standing at the end of the till and going through my receipt to ensure I was not over charged.

Can't say it ever happened when shopping in Tesco/Dunnes, they always seem to be on the ball when it comes to correct discounts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

viking wrote: »
    Happens to me quite regularly in my local SV.

When I've purchase something discounted, I've taken to standing at the end of the till and going through my receipt to ensure I was not over charged.

I don't bother anymore. Milk and the odd newspaper is all I buy there now. I got fed up arguing about the special offers every second time I used to shop there (this was in the Boroimhe one)

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

SV Claregalway same prob every time I go in their:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I don't bother anymore. Milk and the odd newspaper is all I buy there now. I got fed up arguing about the special offers every second time I used to shop there (this was in the Boroimhe one)

I bought something in there last weekend and I bought it purely because it was on special offer, when I checked my receipt it wasn't discounted but I assumed I had made the mistake, I thought I had misread the discount ad. So I didn't bother to go back into the store to recheck.
    I'm not going to assume that again! I'll be double checking everything now. I'm going to tell people I know who shop there too so they don't get caught out either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Always happens in my SV, even when Ibring it to their attention, it is still wrong few days later. Once when I went to Cust Services, they mentioned that I was always coming back, as if to shame me out of being a complainer, naturally I replied that if they got their prices right then there would be no need.
    Consumer agency needs to start looking into this rubbish coz SV is always being talked about here.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

you are correct but the process has to be repeated twice, once for labels a second time to send it to the tills.

If their system is that old/badly designed then I'd wonder how they manage to do anything. Anywhere I've worked in retail has a totally integrated system that did both; it's a convenient excuse for managers to use to make an extra few bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Red Alert wrote: »
    If their system is that old/badly designed then I'd wonder how they manage to do anything. Anywhere I've worked in retail has a totally integrated system that did both; it's a convenient excuse for managers to use to make an extra few bob.

its a bit outdated alright, i used to work in a supervalu and they were in the process of getting a new system in place.

Personally I dont think anybody is doing it deliberately trying to make a quick buck its down to the staff responsible to change signs and price points. its annoying for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If you did make a complaint about the pricing could Super Value provide documentation that covering a good amount of time showing that they take every care in displaying and charging the correct price.

If not they could be in trouble. (then again most the'd prob get is a slap on the wrist)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Looks like the PLU updates are not been sent down to the tills, the labels are printing out with correct discount but the tills are not syncd.

What happens is that Musgraves will issue promotion files to each store via electronic transfer, these files will then be imported to the back office system and the products details on the tills will be updated with the promotion it is linked to.

There is definately a breakdown there somewhere as the promotion is not triggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

thing is I have experienced very regular errors over many years at this stage, its constantly happening for years!

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

SV Tramore. same story gone on for years, reckon people don't check their receipts , I got numerous prices refunded and even make a complaint onto one of the consumer affairs that monitors prices , eventually gave up on them altogether as quite a lot of hassle for 50c and only go in for milk, can't really see the staff are in on it so I think its peoples flippant attitude about not5 checking or complaining

• Registered Users Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It looks like most of them are at it. I go into our local one for a few bits only - and usually in a hurry, but when you spot an error, it takes them 20 minutes to sort it out. Next time I go in, I'll take a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Roll on wirelessly updated shelf edge labels:
    HCN_tea_41.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

snappieT wrote: »
    Roll on wirelessly updated shelf edge labels:
    HCN_tea_41.JPG
    not much use if dozy staff put the yellow label tea in the wrong place! tesco use this all the time to excuse wrong prices. i have not been in supervalu in over a year as they are just too expensive and take into account an average of €3 on offers that you dont get at the till for each €25 of shopping and they are more expensive than centra or londis

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭maidie

I thought it was just my local Supervalu, a new large store in Athlone. I was sick of going back with things having been overcharged on 3 items on one receipt. I don't think that this is a mistake, how come they Never undercharge? My friend is a manager there so I stopped going back but I point out all the offers as I am at the till to make sure they go through ok. What a pain!:mad::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

was overcharged once before in lidl and when i pointed it out the following week the mistake was rectified without any hassle or waiting 20minutes while they check something?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 LimerickLass

I am totally shocked by this..:eek: I thought this was only happening in my local SV in limerick... I constantly check my reciepts leaving the shop. Its a total disgrace that this is going this is not just happening in one shop.. Who should we be reporting this to?:confused:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I am totally shocked by this..:eek: I thought this was only happening in my local SV in limerick... I constantly check my reciepts leaving the shop. Its a total disgrace that this is going this is not just happening in one shop.. Who should we be reporting this to?:confused:

"Talk To Joe" :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Your local dustbin for all the good it will do, SV-Centra care only about the bottom line.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 sarsarsar

I work in a shop that shall remain nameless where this goes on all the time. It is an error due to the system not being updated.

Most items on the shelf have their standard barcode and sticker up displaying price etc. Say someone comes along puts up a big sign half price, and leaves original sticker there too, and nobody updates the computer system accordingly.......Voila, you are scanning something that is showing its original price because as smart as the barcodes are they cant read the signs put up :rolleyes:

Its a communication error, whoever puts up the sign, doesnt get the computer updated and bam, you have annoyed customers!

most of the "errors" i came across in supervalu were simple price on the shelf being much less than the till price regardless of any "big signs". the shelf stickers were all updated but the till prices were not and to make matters worse or to confirm suspicions that this is a deliberate practice i have complained about two prices being wrong on one day and three days later the same two items were still ringing up at the wrong price as obviously the manager i had spoken to had failed to sort it out!

If they had the no quibble get the item for free thing they wouldn't be long about fixing it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    If they had the no quibble get the item for free thing they wouldn't be long about fixing it!

if they did that, they'd have to pass the cost of that on by making everything more expensive, that's what's happened with tesco

Oh really, what percentage of sale is the no quibble bill and where was this cost added on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

it's not a specific percentage, but if they take a loss on those items, they have to make their money back somewhere else

Advertisement