Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SuperValu - Repeated Discount Errors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I can only speak for Tesco but, the amount lost due to mis pricing is tiny compared to stock loss and waste.

Going by the expired offeres I see in my local Super Value, their loss would be much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Gotten very irritated with my local centra who advertise special wine deals and then discover that the tills don't have the correct pricing. Still not a problem for me now as I buy my wine up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

drkpower wrote: »
    Thankfully I noticed it before I had left the carpark ...

Ardee is the same, but they'd refund you a different day there.
    madmik wrote: »
    its not mistake ,they probably make over a grand a week through these kind of "errors"

I'm not sure they are errors.. would you want to help your boss make more money by ripping people off? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Was just in SuperValu in Kilkenny and bought something on special offer. After reading this thread I knew to check my receipt, and sure enough we didn't get the special offer price. I went over to Customner Service and asked for a refund. The girl went and got a manager and explained that there was "another refund" and he took our receipt. He already had three in his hand. He gave us our refund without argument but I'm still annoyed.

How can he SuperValu keep getting away with this? Is there no one we can complain to or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ninty

Yes Tesco use to be the same but since their no quibble guarantee came in i very seldom see a mistake. If your overcharged at Super Value ask to see the manager and ask what steps need to be taken so you can take the overcharging to the small claims court.The manager like you does not like his time being wasted and your likely to get a better outcome for the same amount of time you waste looking for a refund at the customer service counter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Photojoe

ninty wrote: »
    Yes Tesco use to be the same but since their no quibble guarantee came in i very seldom see a mistake. If your overcharged at Super Value ask to see the manager and ask what steps need to be taken so you can take the overcharging to the small claims court.The manager like you does not like his time being wasted and your likely to get a better outcome for the same amount of time you waste looking for a refund at the customer service counter.
    I recently got two bottles of spirits for free thanks to that no quibble thing. Superb stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

It always makes me feel guilty and personally responsible when things go through the till more expensive than priced. In Dunnes, you need a manager to alter the till price, making it a pain for the customer, you, the customers in the queue behind and the manager. In drapery there's a lot less products so pricing isn't as much of a pain, but the signs or the prices on the products are always changed when it's pointed out. Lots of things go through cheaper than priced though!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

reading this thread just got me thinking.....

what is the minimum that you would be overcharged before you would ask for a refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

bennyob wrote: »
    reading this thread just got me thinking.....

what is the minimum that you would be overcharged before you would ask for a refund?

if I was sharp enough to cop it, 1 cent would be enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

€1 Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I always argue in Supervalu over a cent or more because I am sick of them not getting their prices right.
    Harvey Normans a number of years ago, photos were 19c each, getting 10 printed out and came to 2 euro. Til was charging 20c. Seeing as I had to wait for my photos, I stuck it out and wanted it, so the manager had to come down etc etc and they were all fairly annoye with me. However, if they charge everyone 1c on each photo printed out, that is a lot of money over time extra for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

I have learned to check at the till in my local SuperValu.

Latest example, just yesterday evening... 2 x 500ML Tiger Beer = 4 EUR.

Nope, didn't come up at the till. Cue much voiding and card swiping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Gotten very irritated with my local centra who advertise special wine deals and then discover that the tills don't have the correct pricing. Still not a problem for me now as I buy my wine up north.
    centra in carlow have a system where special offers are not in the tills but it is up to staff to remember them and use a swipe card to change the price when a customer buys a discounted item, and people are not likely to notice being grossly overcharged as the store does not issue receipts.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 MichOS

I've had several experiences of offer prices not coming up at tills in my local Tesco. In some cases, half price offers scanned at full price, which can add up to quite a bit in a trolley full. What annoys me more is the drama that ensues - the checkout operator can never sort it out, we have to wait for someone else, who has to wander round the shop trying to find the offer while the rest of the queue gets impatient. On a couple of occasions I haven't noticed until after I've left the till, then we have to queue at customer services unpack everything, etc..... I reckon it's a plot so we won't bother querying any errors and they can keep charging full price!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Photojoe

MichOS wrote: »
    I've had several experiences of offer prices not coming up at tills in my local Tesco. In some cases, half price offers scanned at full price, which can add up to quite a bit in a trolley full. What annoys me more is the drama that ensues - the checkout operator can never sort it out, we have to wait for someone else, who has to wander round the shop trying to find the offer while the rest of the queue gets impatient. On a couple of occasions I haven't noticed until after I've left the till, then we have to queue at customer services unpack everything, etc..... I reckon it's a plot so we won't bother querying any errors and they can keep charging full price!:)
    But you got the items for free right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I don't like the idea of these.

At least with paper ones you can show the manager what the price on the PLU is different but with these one the manager or CS person and update the PLU while looking into the issue for you. So when they walk to down to the item the new price has been change to the higher one....
    snappieT wrote: »
    Roll on wirelessly updated shelf edge labels:
    HCN_tea_41.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Taday I came accross a classic from Supervalue.

Bag of lettuce advertised half price at €1.49.

Reciept showed I was charged €2.70.

When I brought it up with the manager she refunded me €1.21.

I queried the price again and all I got was a blank stare.......What Navan school teaches its pupils that half of €2.70 is €1.49? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 38 MichOS

Ah, no, Photo Joe, I didn't get the items free, should I have done? Ours is a fairly new branch of Tesco but has been open a few months now so they should have sorted things out. It happens almost every time I shop there. I would go somewhere else, but even with the errors, they're much cheaper than other stores around.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭shaca

seems to be a nationwide problem for them. I have stopped shopping in my local in Ballina cos of the exact same problem. Another thing that used to annoy me is their offer sheets. If I went in to get anything that was on the offer sheet 9 times out of 10 they weren't on sale. One day I asked a member of staff if they had the nappies that were on special offer and would you believe he found them in the store room. So it would seem to me that they are buying them in on special offers and keeping them off sale till the offer is over so they can make more profit on them. They are a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

MichOS wrote: »
    the checkout operator can never sort it out,

Very few stores and supermarkets in particular will allow the tills to have price override without manager's key/card. I hope you don't complain about that to the person on checkouts, it's not their fault. It's mainly to do with their not trusting staff- serving friends etc. The price obviously has to verified, you could technically have invented the price yourself, several people do try this one.

It is of course a disgrace that the prices/offers are messed up, but it's nothing to do with the checkout operator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Supervalu in Abbeyleix notorious for this. The last time I was in there, I was packing up the shopping and she told me how much it would cost, i was packing away thinking that was really high, just about to leave, waiting on receipt, girl glaring at me, asked her for receipt, she said that she threw it in the bin. I told her I wanted it, and she proceeded to roll her eyes to heaven to the queue and went to get it.
    Left shop, went through receipt and lol and behold three special offer items priced wrong. Went to the manager, and he was more concerened that the girl in question was on the wrong till.
    Never bother my arse going in there now, not worth the hassel.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭cambridge7

As someone said before its seems to be a country wide problem with SV.
    Here's a good one I bought 2lt milk Saturday €1.12.Yesterday the same product was €1.83.Today its €1.12 again.I was refunded the difference.(They have to).Ive had several goes at the manager regarding wrong pricing of goods.They are misleading their customers.But it seems its gone in one ear and out the other.SV Ardee you've had your chance.I will be ring Consumer Rights and Joe Duffy if I have too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Supervalue bad... Sold us mouldy bread last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

In my SV also
    Most recent was only yesterday - again when I pointed it out, it was a wait
    Then till girl came back saying the price was in wrong place

The thing that peeved me off though - was that she didnt grab me the packet that was cheaper (the one i thought i grabbed - gerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr)

Am sick to death of pointing stuff out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

cambridge7 wrote: »
    As someone said before its seems to be a country wide problem with SV.
    Here's a good one I bought 2lt milk Saturday €1.12.Yesterday the same product was €1.83.Today its €1.12 again.I was refunded the difference.(They have to).Ive had several goes at the manager regarding wrong pricing of goods.They are misleading their customers.But it seems its gone in one ear and out the other.SV Ardee you've had your chance.I will be ring Consumer Rights and Joe Duffy if I have too.

Are you sure a 2lt of milk was 1.12, that's very cheap Usually their 1lt is that price.

I presume you say they have to refund the difference because the same price has been displayed in front of the product since last saturday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 charlietangodel

Super Valu Deansgrange really annoyed me tonight.

I had three price queries.
    For a start, I thought I had bought a bag of lettuce that cost €2.00 but had in fact picked up a bag that cost €2.99 because it and another 20-odd bags were placed in the wrong place.

Secondly, I bought a 2l carton of OJ that actually cost me €4+ but was advertised for €2.09. The story with this one was that the price applied only to the smooth variety and not the one with bits. An easy mistake to make right? Especially as only the OJ with bits was on display-in the place where the smooth variety should have been.

My third discrepancy involved poor pricing. The nivea suncare range is half price at the moment. Thing is, the prices displayed already include the reduction but this is not stated at all.

Super Valu are shoddy....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

When I lived in Athy, SV was notorious for not discounting at the till. But this photo was the worst experience I had:

broccoli.jpg

Half of €2 is ?? And what was I charged on my receipt? €1.49! Just glad I live somewhere else now that has better shop options than SV. The SV errors were way too consistent over two years to be occasional accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Athlone seems to have a decently ran SV.

Beem checking some receipts, and all seem consistent with the shelves

Their prices are generally brutal anyway though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Yet again their 2 Pringles for €3 becomes €4 when you come to the till. Third time it's happened to us. Each time we've mentioned it they say "Oh that promotion just ended today" or some other crap :rolleyes: Supervalu is the only supermarket in Malahide so if I just want something quick and don't feel like driving to Dunnes or Tesco a few miles away I have to shop there. Really annoying me lately with this kind of thing though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

I bought mixers for €1.18 each at the SuperValu in Grange, County Sligo, but when I reached the till the price had become €1.45.

I suppose I should have created a fuss but I will just go back to buying all groceries in the North.

Advertisement