Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Susan Boyle and Donegal

Options
  • 26-04-2009 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

A question for those of you who have spent more time in Ireland than I have...

The new singer Susan Boyle has an interesting face, and by that I'm not being sarcastic, just noting that I have seen features like hers among one branch of my ancestors.

http://talent.itv.com/news/story/item_100074.htm

In your opinion, is her "look" one which is common in Donegal, or anywhere in particular in Ireland?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Jim
    American, resident in Wales

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Haha quite an unusual post! I dont know about the look but yeah Boyle is a Donegal name and she does has some sort of connection with the place..I know of a few people who say theyre distant relatives of hers. Mainly from the Rosses area in the west of the county

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

I guess the most notable thing about her 'look' is her greying hair, bushy eyebrows, lady-tache and ruddy skin. If you gave her a wax, haircut and a bit of make up I'm not sure she would have much of a 'look' at all.

From that perspective i probably would say that the unkempt atitude towards appearance in a lady of a certain age might be a bit of Donegal (or rural ireland in general) trait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Jim H

Thumpette wrote: »
    I guess the most notable thing about her 'look' is her greying hair, bushy eyebrows, lady-tache and ruddy skin. If you gave her a wax, haircut and a bit of make up I'm not sure she would have much of a 'look' at all.

From that perspective i probably would say that the unkempt atitude towards appearance in a lady of a certain age might be a bit of Donegal (or rural ireland in general) trait.

Good answer. I guess I should focus my question and ask if that big chin, small upper lip area, sort of pushed-in looking mouth, and what my wife calls apple cheeks (not referring to color but meaning a lot of flesh on the cheekbones) is particularly associated with Donegal, or with any particular part of Ireland. Any opinions on that?

Thanks in advance.
    Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

She's a mature woman carrying a few extra pounds (like myself and half of the country) and I see nothing unusual about her. You would find those same features you referred to on a lot of women throughout Europe and other continents never mind Donegal.

OK then. Thanks for setting me straight on this.

Regards,
    Jim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

she doesn't half look like Maura O'Connell.

And Maura O'Connell is from County Clare, not Donegal. So thanks for that opinion.

Regards,
    Jim

Advertisement