Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip Rafter

Options
  • 26-04-2009 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

Just wondering on the best way to join a hip rafter I know you use a scarf joint but not to sure how it's formed any advice or pictures wud be helpful thamks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

€try this method in my picture. just put a screw at each of the ex's and rub a bit of glue on the joint

sorry my pictures wont seem to upload ill try on another computer tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭fig mclough

cheers

http://chestofbooks.com/home-improvement/woodworking/Woodwork-Joints/The-Scarf-Joint.html

hear you go 3rd diagram down this is used on ridge boards and hip rafters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

You could use a simple scarf joint and glue a strip of ply either face of the joint, finishing off with a few of bolts passing through the lot. Polyurethane glue would be a good choice as it's strong and creep is eliminated. There's a bit of work in this method but it's strong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement