Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Level Irish Paper 2 Advice?

Options
  • 26-04-2009 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Duffman'05

Hi,

So basically I was foolish at the start of the year and thought I could manage honours Irish well enough to get a B3:( Things aren't looking so well anymore! I'm very confident that my oral went well, I have a nice big cúlú essay tied down for Paper 1 but the prose, poetry and stories will be the death of me!

Does anyone have any tips for studying paper 2? Naturally the size of the bleedin thing is a problem but the real obstacle for me is actually learning Irish:o what I mean by that is - I'd consider myslef to be good at learning off by heart - Bio etc. - but the problem with trying to memorise Irish is that it's not as logical - by which I mean it's more like trying to learn off a paragraph of ''sounds'' because I'm obviously far from fluent!:o

Any one with the same difficulty in learning Irish have any tips? To see a C1/B3 on my results sheet would be ''A2/A1'' for me personally:D

Go raibh maith agaibh!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

My advice would be to not learn off whole paragraphs. Learn words/phrases that you can easily manipulate and change to suit any poem/story.

i disagree. i think you should learn off paragraphs but not whole essays. yes u should learn off one-liners and maybe some old sayings but dont waste loads of time on them. make sure all of your paragraphs start by referring to the title. markers dont even look at paragraphs with nothing to do with the title so be careful.
    yeah im hopin for the same thing you are. i think papar one will be fine but paper 2 is goin to be sheeet.
    for the poetry an easy way out (or at least easier) is to just learn off a page long summary of the poems. a summary will automatically get you a c3 regardless of the question.
    poem predictions:
    jack
    faoiseamh
    gealt
    higher poems:
    mathair
    dá mbéidir
    pros:
    bean og
    lig sinn i gcathu
    cearbhach
    anybody any other insights?? especially on an stair?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Redbhoy

I dont suppose anyone would have any links to sample essays? Go raibh mile maith agat.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭jkbrackens11

What is the storyline of An Bhean Og and Lig Sinn I gCahtu? Especially the second one I really didn't get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

[quote=[Deleted User];60141868]i disagree. i think you should learn off paragraphs but not whole essays. yes u should learn off one-liners and maybe some old sayings but dont waste loads of time on them. make sure all of your paragraphs start by referring to the title. markers dont even look at paragraphs with nothing to do with the title so be careful.
    yeah im hopin for the same thing you are. i think papar one will be fine but paper 2 is goin to be sheeet.
    for the poetry an easy way out (or at least easier) is to just learn off a page long summary of the poems. a summary will automatically get you a c3 regardless of the question.
    poem predictions:
    jack
    faoiseamh
    gealt
    higher poems:
    mathair
    dá mbéidir
    pros:
    bean og
    lig sinn i gcathu
    cearbhach
    anybody any other insights?? especially on an stair?[/QUOTE]

Ogham and Na gluaiseanna are always in with a shout.

Fiannaiocht and toraiocht diarmuida agus Ghrainne.

Watch out for gaeltacht and the caighdean ( hasnt been asked in a fecking while ).
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

ok this is going to sound a little sad, but, what exactly is an stair? i know it means history but what do you have to write??
    i just started higher in february and i concentrated mainly on the oral, im studying at home...
    and what do all those titles mean that you just mentioned there??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

[quote=[Deleted User];60146532]ok this is going to sound a little sad, but, what exactly is an stair? i know it means history but what do you have to write??
    i just started higher in february and i concentrated mainly on the oral, im studying at home...
    and what do all those titles mean that you just mentioned there??[/quote]
    Ok, well basically, its a question at the end of paper 2 worth 30 marks.

you attempt 2 of the 6 or so questions there.

Theyre very general, they just list a heading which you hopefully have studied and you write any 3 main points on it, doesnt have to be very long.

Stair na Gaeilge

Here's a little link for some help, if youre completely lost.
    Also, have a look at Past Papers
    for some past papers.

The headings above are the ones tipped to come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Someone please restore my faith in the system and assure me that this isn't true.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

JSK 252 wrote: »
    Fiannaiocht and toraiocht diarmuida agus Ghrainne.

I'm doing the book of that for my selected Prós thing too! If that comes up OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG etc
    cautioner wrote: »
    Someone please restore my faith in the system and assure me that this isn't true.

I really seriously question the validity of it too

But what faith do you have in the system :confused:!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

That can't be....maybe thats like the marks you get with perfect irish but not much reference to the question? And a summary will have some relevance i suppose....:confused: Wouldn't risk it tho! Will be needing more than a C3! :P

• Advertisement

Jammyc wrote: »
    Ok, well basically, its a question at the end of paper 2 worth 30 marks.

you attempt 2 of the 6 or so questions there.

Theyre very general, they just list a heading which you hopefully have studied and you write any 3 main points on it, doesnt have to be very long.

Stair na Gaeilge

Here's a little link for some help, if youre completely lost.
    Also, have a look at Past Papers
    for some past papers.

The headings above are the ones tipped to come up.

so in that stair link im seeing links to all the titles, are the paragraphs the things we are supposed to write??

ok ok, kind of answered my own question. but now i want to know what some of these mean..
    ogham in the dictionary means script, yeah? then when i was reading the paragraph it was saying "the oldest writing system in old irish"... what does that mean??
    fianaiocht is a myth right? so its just telling the story of this guy?
    caighdean means standard?? standard of what?? and its not on the stair site...
    na gluaiseanna is vocab and its not on the site either.
    toraiocht diarmuida is the search for something.... its not on the site...
    can anybody clear any of this up for me please??

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Redbhoy

Just listening to Radio Na Life 106.4fm and they're analysing Faoiseamh a gheobhadsa.
    They have previous programmes on their website.

http://www.raidionalife.ie//filiocht_na_hardteiste.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭daithiolabhrai

Redbhoy wrote: »
    Just listening to Radio Na Life 106.4fm and they're analysing Faoiseamh a gheobhadsa.
    They have previous programmes on their website.

http://www.raidionalife.ie//filiocht_na_hardteiste.htm

I never even knew they were doing this. That's actually great help, thanks a lot!

[quote=[Deleted User];60157052]ok ok, kind of answered my own question. but now i want to know what some of these mean..
    ogham in the dictionary means script, yeah? then when i was reading the paragraph it was saying "the oldest writing system in old irish"... what does that mean??
    can anybody clear any of this up for me please??[/QUOTE]

Would you like me to clear up the fact that your talking ****?

Fad wrote: »
    I'm doing the book of that for my selected Prós thing too! If that comes up OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG etc

I really seriously question the validity of it too

But what faith do you have in the system :confused:!

That cool! So what could you be asked on that? Is it pros roghnach?

So basically you get the double cheese burger if it comes up in both sections!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

That cool! So what could you be asked on that? Is it pros roghnach?

So basically you get the double cheese burger if it comes up in both sections!;)

The section where you do an Triail, úrsceal roghnach?

I'd say writing a page about it would be harder than writing about the main characters tbh.

It is easily one of the more ridiculous thing I've had to "Deal with", I mean I loved it for the sheer ridiculousness of it, and its near total lack of plot (Not to mention what little plot there is being nearly completely reliant on Deus Ex Machinas to keep it going) but writing answers on it is just horrible.

[quote=[Deleted User];60157052]ok ok, kind of answered my own question. but now i want to know what some of these mean..
    can anybody clear any of this up for me please??[/quote]

1. Get a textbook, eg Diogras Nua.

2. Go to the Stair na Gaeilge section near the back.

3. Learn off the stuff.

1. Get a textbook, eg Diogras Nua.

2. Go to the Stair na Gaeilge section near the back.

3. Learn off the stuff.

diogras nua?... k.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Would you like me to clear up the fact that your talking ****?

Cool it, Harrison Icy Boy was just trying to find out what s/he has to know for the stair section, no need to be so hostile.

• Advertisement

[quote=[Deleted User];60182259]diogras nua?... k.[/quote]

Maybe there's a stand-alone Stair na Gaeilge textbook or something, all I'm saying is Diogras is the one I use. It also has all the rest of the prescribed poetry and prose, some grammar and some essay stuff. Check around anyway. SnaG is a relatively small section of the book so it might be a bit of a waste to go buying one at this stage...

The book by cj.fallon is out of print and is like gold dust to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Diogras is the one I use.
    Yeah Im using Diogras aswell. We have done barely any Stair in class, and Im managing with the help of a dictionary to get through a fair chunk and understand it. So Diogras is purdy good for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭starry nights

HI!!

i saw your comment and just wanted to give some tips.
    i am in an all irish school (dont hate me and yes we do every subject through irish) and if it makes you feel better i am ****ting it tomorrow coz ive a sheep for a teacher and basically learned everything myself/ with the institute notes.

anyway, for poetry READ OVER the poems, make sure you UNDERSTAND them, otherwise you'll do badly. The question will be phrased a bit funny but don't panic coz if you stay calm you'll get the jist of it.

Now, i personally would not learn pargraphs of stuff coz its time and effort and hard. I'd learn nice simple phrases like "I mo thuairim léirítear na gnáth daoine mar na gealt ar an bus" (in my opinion the normal-people ar shown as the mental ones)

keep it simple! If you dont then you will only panic, trust me!
    But hey! one paper down and it was a lovely paper, the fabulous recession. :)

hope i've helped you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

what poems/prós should I learn? I don't want to learn them all

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

what poems/prós should I learn? I don't want to learn them all

Poems are on the paper, don't need to know them that well. Jack, Faoiseamh a Gheobhadsa and An Chead Drama are good bets.

Stories I'd go for are Cearbhach MacCaba, An Bhean Og and Lig Sin i gCathu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

yeah I'll be grand for the ordinary poems, I don't really understand the higher so I'm looking over them. hope on cead drama comes up actually, that's easy

Advertisement