Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommendation on smart charger

Options
  • 26-04-2009 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭

well, on friday my tlp smart charger (again) sent a nimh battery into orbit and caused a small fire with what was left of the battery.

anyone care to recommend a smart charger in the 100 dollar range?

for example has anyone here got personal experience of a

iMAX B8 charger ?

i would like some li-po options as i may go that direction in the future...

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭P.K

well, on friday my tlp smart charger (again) sent a nimh battery into orbit and caused a small fire with what was left of the battery.

anyone care to recommend a smart charger in the 100 dollar range?

for example has anyone here got personal experience of a

iMAX B8 charger ?

i would like some li-po options as i may go that direction in the future...

thanks in advance
    HitechNi-Cd_Ni-MH_DeltaPeakCharger.jpg

Eirsoft have these for 40 euro, there really simple and reliable, 2 speed settings for charging, and you have change the setting to the number of cells in the battery, it also has the discharge function, it detects when the battery is full and if its the right polarity and all that.

there are also more advanced versions of these, that cost a little bit more, and have auto detect, for cells, etc etc.this is the lower end of the chargers, Paul at HRTA has the next one up from these.

i have no idea if it charges lipo, all i know is you need a balance charger for lipo, but this is excellent for normal ni-cd and nimh batterys

*there called Delta peak chargers

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Beast ASI

well, on friday my tlp smart charger i would like some li-po options as i may go that direction in the future...

thanks in advance

Elite 5iBC Balancer/Charger

Charges everything, best charger ever :D

Avoid the TLP line anyway, heard (and experienced) far too many cases of them not charging batteries properly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Yeah id avoid the TLP's too, too many issues of cutting out earliy and another common problem is the LEDs burn out so you dont know what mode the charger is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

The Pro Peak chargers have always been the ones I've recommended. I've never once had an issue with mine since the I got my first one over 3 years ago. I since got a second one just because I have too many batteries.
    Works off mains and even a 12v car battery with the aid of the accompanying battery clamps. Simple operation, auto cut off, selectable currents. There's even a discharger a maintenance charge built in.
    It's also a complete bargain.

If you want something that can do Li-Po too, have a look on ebay/Amazon for a Duratrax ICE charger. They're in-or-around the $100 mark and will charge just about everything. They even have a facility to run-in motors and a port to accept thermocouples to monitor your battery temperatures, as well as being able to do deep cycling of Ni-Cd batteries and give performance graphs during discharge.
    I've seen them in action and they're bloody impressive. I have designs on getting one soon myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

NakedDex wrote: »
    If you want something that can do Li-Po too, have a look on ebay/Amazon for a Duratrax ICE charger.

Just had a look at those, very gucci, might have to pick one up :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement