Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

By-Elections

Options
  • 26-04-2009 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭

Apologies if there is another thread on this, but I could not find it.

According to the RTE website,

Fine Gael will next week try to force the Government to hold bye-elections in Dublin South and Dublin Central in June.

Enda Kenny will move the writ in the Dail on Tuesday, the party's health spokesperson Dr James Reilly told RTÉ's The Week in Politics programme.

He said the people of these constituencies are entitled to have their full representation in the Dáil, and the Government is failing to show leadership by delaying these elections.
    Advertisement

However, Minister of State Barry Andrews said the bye-elections will be held in due course and the decision to hold them will be taken by the Government.

The bye-elections are required following the deaths of the late Dublin South TD Seamus Brennan last year, and Independent Dublin Central TD Tony Gregory, who passed away last January.

Seamus Brennan has not been around since July 2008 and as far as I'm aware was quite unwell for sometime beforehand.

My curiosity has gottern the better of me and I am wondering who is doing the work that he would have done as TD previously. I am not slating Brennan here (In fact, He was 1 FF Td that I liked a lot). But surely, they have to have these by-elections on the same day as the local elections, even for cost reasons? Am I missing something here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I assumed they'd run in the same day as local elections.
    It'd be stupid to organize voting centers for two different elections.

Would there be constitutional issues here? As people are being left without representation here?
    I know little about the law, just interested to know.

Are the government delaying as they are convinced they'll lose? Can't delay forever....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Alex White I think will take Dublin South.

Paschal Donoghue Dublin Central. But a left candidate should get in with Gregory's vote, Labour + SF hanging around.

The government does not want to lose its grip on power, its that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They can take as long as they like. The only observed tradition is that it is at least a month after the death of the sitting TD. FG putting pressure on them will do little to shift FF as they are likely to lose both. It might be in their interest to bite the bullet on this, as it'll just become something else to whip them with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What's the latest on this?
    If the motion is defeated by the government parties, what happens next?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They're supposed to be debating/voting on this at 7.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Oireachtas TV

All im getting is some Social Welfare bill motion.

EDIT: Kenny talking about it now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Gormley announcing 2 Dáil by-elections on June 5th

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Gormley just announced that they will be having the bye-elections on the same day as the locals anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Motions canceled in light of Gormleys announcement.

Sounds promising.

Advertisement