Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first gun?

Options
  • 26-04-2009 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

hi everybody i'm just wondering what your first gun was?
    the first i ever used was my fathers BSA shotgun when i was about 10 which he gave to me a few years ago when he bought a beretta 686E and the first gun i owned is the .22 hornet weihrauch i have now, although my father traded in an old single shot remington rifle when i was about 14 to get me a cz .22 but seen that i was too young to license it he left it under his name and before anyone starts giving out about being too young to have a gun my father was always with me supervising when i was out shooting at that age

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

cz brno .22 cracking rifle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Savage Stevens .223, with T4 Mod and Schmidt and Bender 8x56 Hungarian Klassic. Excellent rifle which still serves me well.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

A very old and battered bsa .17 airgun passed down through the years,

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Anschutz 1903 smallbore rifle, which is older than I am and still serves as a club gun in DURC today (it's number 8 for the DURC-heads :D )...

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

A WELL used Fred Williams side by side hammer gun passed down through the generations, not used any more as barrell walls are gone thin:(

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Single barrell Baikal bought new in Garnett & Keegans, Parliament Street for IR£80.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Breachloader

Baikel O/U 12 gauge, bought brand new for £400 just after 16th birthday... A great old workhorse that would never let you down. Could have thrown that thing in a ditch and pulled it out a year later without a problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭.50 (MOA)

First gun used/ licenced- lincoln o/u, fixed choke, double trigger. great great gun, it takes skill to use a double trigger.

First gun owned- Beretta 686 just bought last weekend, have yet to be in the country to apply for licence but heres hoping she'll be happy with me. (am I dumbing down to a single trigger?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Winchester hammer action full choke single barrell shotgun , £60 new, bought it in the sportshop the quay Waterford. I was useless with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

Anschutz Hornet. Great rifle, regret selling it 27 years ago!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

single barrel baikal doyle & huetts 60 pounds picked up a few weeks after my 16 birthday
    the pac of 10 Winchesters ,could through up a aspirin and shoot it with that gun .

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Same gun as Sparks, only... ahem... several years later. :D

Since then, the stock snapped in half and we glued it back together. In the time I've known it I think it averaged about 1 cleaning every 2 years despite shooting several thousand rounds a year. It has been dropped multiple times. It's had a handstop taken off with a hammer. It has been (ab)used by countless newbies. All that and it will still shoot better than almost anyone in the club. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

IRLConor wrote: »
    It's had a handstop taken off with a hammer.
    Two now :D
    I tell you, they just don't make them like number eight anymore :D

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

Browning Medallist... thought it was the bees knees, still have it after so many years... too heavy for now though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Sig Sauer P226, hopefully I'll still have it after July.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Well my first gun was a BSA Metior 22 air rifle that you pulled the barrel down and back to load a springer I think you call it. Got that at 16 and had a great time shooting squirrels and rats down at the river with it.

Next was a folding 410 shotgun again good fun and you could fold it up and hide it under your coat. Mostly rats at the river.

Followed by a single barreled 12g shotgun. Never liked it that much and got most out of the BSA.

I also had a .22 webley air hand gun again you pulled the barrel up and forward to load.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭like to hunt

cz brno .22 mag with 4x32 notting was safe..... good times:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Anschutz 1807, still have it, and will for a long time to come. At this stage, no ten ring is safe. Bunnies have only a slightly better track record.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

ss 4/10 left to me buy grandad was my first shotgun. had to be the invicable man to get close enough to anything.. But a good starter non the less which i still have.

First proper gun (sorry Grandad:D.)
    Yildiz 12g which i bought new last year loving it and suits all my needs.

And deposit on a Anschutz .22 magnum all going well will be my first riffle...

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

My father bought a single barrel baikal for myself & a brother when I was about 16, the brother would have been 15. Think it was about £50 at the time. Was sold to a neighbour a few years later and the brother bought it back off him when he was trading up about 5 years ago.
    Finished college, got a job and bought myself a Beretta A390 as I was getting into shooting again, lovely gun. Sold it after a few years and bought an AYA o/u, which I still have. Also have a Krico Hornet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

A H&R single shot hammer 12g shottie, that hammer was a scurge and cost me to many birds as it was as stiff as fook and took both thumps to cock it. But shes long gone now and won't be coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

a second hand 12g Browning citori trap gun bought it for game shooting it weighed a ton and i was killed each time i went out with it, i quickly changed it for a Browning Medallist.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭darrenon

My first gun was/is an Antonio Zoli & C.GARDONE side by side fixed barrel and double trigger. Bought for £150 about nine years ago. Found it to be a great gun. Without hijacking the thread does anyone know how much it would be worth now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

First shotgun was a Baikal S/S Non Ejector. First rifle (of my own)was a cz .22 magnum

Learned to shoot on my da's .22 krico, we still have the krico and the baikal. the magnum got traded for a .223

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

First shotgun was an o/u Orbit 28" bought from Watt brothers on the quays in Dublin about 16 years ago. God i loved that gun. Traded it 3 years ago. Went back to dealer 3 weeks later to buy it back but it was gone (sob, sob). First .22 a CZ Bruno. Still cannot be beaten for value for money.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement