Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Relations Post Grad

• 26-04-2009 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi,

Does anyone know of good International Relations Postgrad courses abroad, preferably in France or the US?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Are you thinking the PhD route after or straight to work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 rasputize

Hoping to go straight into work after. Just finished my journalism degree last year and I feel that I need to bulk up my qualifications if I want to get a decent job. Plus, it's always something I've wanted to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

What marks did you get for your undergrad? Are you thinking of applying for next year or the year after?

In Britain, Aberystwyth, LSE, SOAS and UCL are all good for IR. LSE is very expensive though.

Got a 1st in my undergrad.

Would like to get something for this year if possible. Thanks for the recommendations.

You've missed the apps deadlines for most US colleges for fall admission now anyway. All the UK ones listed are good (and LSE claim they are more than worth their astronomical fees in terms of networking/job opportunities) :)

• Advertisement

rasputize wrote:
    Would like to get something for this year if possible.
    I vaguely remember the US process being drawn out, there's tests you need to take and such, so you'd probably need a lot more time even if applications weren't over. You should be fine for anything in the UK though.

It kind of depends on what you want out of your masters, some of the masters are going to be heavy on the theory side (UCL) and others are better for work in Asia/Africa (SOAS). You might want to check out findamasters.com. I also think there's some IR masters designed for journalism graduates, if you're thinking of working in that area after. Dunno anything about France.
    pow wow wrote:
    and LSE claim they are more than worth their astronomical fees in terms of networking/job opportunities
    Do you get Barack Obama on speed dial when you've finished?

<-- is only bitter he's not going to LSE

I vaguely remember the US process being drawn out, there's tests you need to take and such, so you'd probably need a lot more time even if applications weren't over. You should be fine for anything in the UK though.

It kind of depends on what you want out of your masters, some of the masters are going to be heavy on the theory side (UCL) and others are better for work in Asia/Africa (SOAS). You might want to check out findamasters.com. I also think there's some IR masters designed for journalism graduates, if you're thinking of working in that area after. Dunno anything about France.

Do you get Barack Obama on speed dial when you've finished?

<-- is only bitter he's not going to LSE

LOL I'd say if they could put that in the prospectus without getting sued they'd do it :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the info guys. LSE looks top class but applications for IR just closed the other day.

Would anyone recommend either University Metropolitan London or University of Westminister?

rasputize wrote: »
    Would anyone recommend either University Metropolitan London or University of Westminister?
    I haven't heard great things about Metropolitan. No idea about Westminister but tbh, with a first you'll probably get into UCL, SOAS or Kings University (home of the *WAR* department :pac:) which are all pretty well regarded. So I'd go for any of them before those two, if they're still taking applications.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I was in LSE the other day - wow! I know it's expensive but the speakers they get are incredible. HEre in DCU we get PhD students, they get nobel prize winners.

One thing on IR, I'm taking a lot of IR classes at the moment. Check out the individual classes, what they entail, how much choice you will get. I know it drives a lot of International Students a bit crazy that a lot is about the issues in the Irish context, what Ireland does/has done. How things are good/bad for Ireland. I know if I was in London, I would not want to know this much about England, unless I knew I'd be working there.
    But maybe these courses, especially LSE or SOAS, are aimed at an international audience, because they have such diverse students. Just something to look into.

• Advertisement

dory wrote: »
    I was in LSE the other day - wow! I know it's expensive but the speakers they get are incredible. HEre in DCU we get PhD students, they get nobel prize winners.

One thing on IR, I'm taking a lot of IR classes at the moment. Check out the individual classes, what they entail, how much choice you will get. I know it drives a lot of International Students a bit crazy that a lot is about the issues in the Irish context, what Ireland does/has done. How things are good/bad for Ireland. I know if I was in London, I would not want to know this much about England, unless I knew I'd be working there.
    But maybe these courses, especially LSE or SOAS, are aimed at an international audience, because they have such diverse students. Just something to look into.

Try doing it in Queen's. Conflict intervention and management is a riot (no pun intended!) :rolleyes:

Advertisement