Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Definition of Architectural Technologist

• 26-04-2009 6:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

Coramc Allen mention at the IATHN meeting in DIT recently (when they announced the 4yr course) that the IATGN had come to a definition of what a Architectural technologist is. Anyone remember what it exactly was or know where to find it? There's nothing on the IATGN site.

I'm looking for the definition to translation into Dutch, to give them a clear idea of what it is when I send CV's in that direction.

Hope someone can help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

As far as I am aware some people do not like the word Technologist, very fond of lots of other words though!! here is a link to what our other body defines it as http://www.ciat.org.uk/en/faq/answer/?group=#anchor_A3C2B98E-89D7-4050-8487BD6F405F6C16

Also in Chinese if you ask me but my be translatable to Dutch!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I don't think I'm "allowed" to use the term Technician untill I have the exerience to back it up blabla...... or is it the other way around?

I wouldn't be to surprised if the IATGN came to the same definition as that of the CIAT
    What does a Chartered Architectural Technologist (MCIAT) do?

The Chartered Architectural Technologist (MCIAT) will be able to analyse, synthesise and evaluate design factors in order to produce design solutions, which will satisfy performance, production and procurement criteria. This will be achieved through the design, selection and specification of material, components and assembly and the management, coordination, communication, presentation and monitoring of solutions which perform to the agreed brief and standards in terms of time, cost and quality. Please see the careers section for further detail.

EDIT: Translating it could be a little fun :D Enough time for doing it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

jozi wrote: »
    I don't think I'm "allowed" to use the term Technician untill I have the exerience to back it up blabla...... or is it the other way around?
    When I fiinshed my course (which itself changed names from advanced computer aided design to architectural technolgy) over the 3 year term we qualified as Arch technicians, and arch technologist was to follow after some experience. That was a few years ago at this stage though and it was even very unclear at the time. We just called ourselves cad monkeys.

clown bag wrote: »
    When I fiinshed my course (which itself changed names from advanced computer aided design to architectural technolgy) over the 3 year term we qualified as Arch technicians, and arch technologist was to follow after some experience. That was a few years ago at this stage though and it was even very unclear at the time. We just called ourselves cad monkeys.

I'd like to think of myself as something a bit better than a CAd monkey thou :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

jozi wrote: »
    I'd like to think of myself as something a bit better than a CAd monkey thou :D

Yeah, so did we but it was the easiest thing we could call ourselves that everyone in the year could agree on. It was just what we called ourselves.

Regarding the dutch issue, I think my Parents will have Dutch friends over visiting tomorrow. If you come up with a definition I could give them a buzz and try get you a translation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,270 ✭✭✭✭muffler

An architect, engineer, draftsperson, project manager, QS, and dogs body all rolled into one. ;)

muffler wrote: »
    An architect, engineer, draftsperson, project manager, QS, and dogs body all rolled into one. ;)

That'll be easy to translate, except for the last bit :D

clown bag: I'll be translating my self, I'm a Dutch speaker myself, can always call in the help of family of friends if needed. Thanks for the offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

AFAIK CIAT coined the term Architectural Technologist so i would use their definition otherwise id use the term Architectural Technician.

I remember Cormac using the Term Constructor in relation to our equivelents on mainland europe. You could look into this. Im not sure it would translate correctly though.

topcatcbr wrote: »
    AFAIK CIAT coined the term Architectural Technologist so i would use their definition otherwise id use the term Architectural Technician.

I remember Cormac using the Term Constructor in relation to our equivelents on mainland europe. You could look into this. Im not sure it would translate correctly though.

I think he mentioned it was used in France. There's Constructuers in Holland but from looking at job descriptions it's prob more like structural engineer, calculating steel/concrete/foundations etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

topcatcbr wrote: »

CIAT have definately been blamed for inventing the term Architectural technologist however I don't know if thats totally fair. Theres an assosication of Architectural Technologists in Canada which have been on the go a fair while and also use the term technologist, they will probably have their own defination. Our problem is that we are not a hugely widespread or well known profession, we are after all quite a young one. Our problem in countries where we have never been heard of is getting in the door, once were in they don't want to let us out!!

I think the constructors are from Germany, theres also some equally incomprehensible Danish body, the French probably have some form of us and I seem to recall some spanish version too.

I dont think the IATGN have receached any defination of us yet, The RIAI are trying to establish our competancies (as they see it?) within their Institution, CIAT have their own definations and I'm sure the IATGN / ATI will arrive at their own one in time which I'm sure we will all have a chance to vote for!!

Here's a link to a dutch university that offers a 2 year masters degree in Building Technology have a read does it sound familar??
    http://www.tudelft.nl/live/pagina.jsp?id=e2d8d07d-c060-417a-933e-ea111aab1502&lang=en

then go google young man!!!

• Advertisement

I heard of TuDelf, very big uni as far as I know. Tried to get into Bouwkunde a few years ago but failed onthe dutch test cause I didnt know much about immigration/emigration in relation to Holland :rolleyes: So much for being born and spending more than half your life there. Then i got into DIT and here I am now.

I'll have a read of that link tomorrow No.6. I'd say Building tech is a followon from bouwkunde, everything in the building world seems to have bouwkunde as a base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭pseudo-tech

No6 wrote: »

The RIAI are trying to establish our competancies (as they see it?)

Thou shall not steal our jobs. Thou shall sit in front of a computer and ask no questions. Yes there is a recession and you will be paid what Technician's were paid in the 90s (less than someone stacking shelves in Dunne's Stores) :D:D:D

No6 wrote: »
    I'm sure the IATGN / ATI will arrive at their own one in time which I'm sure we will all have a chance to vote for!!

Whatever, RIAI agree on!!

Vote - now what a novel idea! On the button again No.6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

.....Vote - now what a novel idea! On the button again No.6.

Just saw the following ad in the Classifieds:

For Sale,
    or free to a good home,(as long as I don't have to pay the rent)
    38,000 fabulous e-voteing machines,(great white elephants with buttons)
    Genuine reason for sale,(saving my neck)
    First to call gets to keep.(jeysus lads will someone take them)

Contact J. Gormley(chancer)
    :D

Advertisement