Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing: Capping a pipe?

• 26-04-2009 6:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

I am in the middle of removing an ensuite in my house and I have just taken out the toilet. I removed all fittings and all I am left with is a piece of plastic 1/2" pipe coming out of the slab. I thought I had the correct fittings needed to cap the pipe but when I tried the water pisses out everywhere. I have tried 1/2" push fittings and I also tried fitting a tap!

Could anyone suggest what I could do here and maybe recommend the exact fittings I need?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I am guessing you have whats called a 310 or a nut and ring sticking out

either way when going to the plumbing shop ask for a 310 and a blank nut and seal I think its call a 351

Can you take a picture?????

Alternativly cut the copper pipe square even and use a tec 51 blank.

Does any of this make sense?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

What size is the pipe? It may be half inch but as you may know there is Irish 1/2" and UK 1/2" and the difference may be your leak. I would be inclined to use a compression fitting with an insert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Any of the above solutions should work, but make sure the pipe end is cut clean and square and that the pipe end is clean before fitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

You need a 1/2 inch 351

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Thanks for the replies.

The pipe is plastic but I am not sure if its UK or Irish 1/2", I am in work at the moment. I think I might go with the insert solution to start. The pipe is bare at the moment, that is, there is no nut and ring sticking out, just the pipe end.

I'll try the inserts and if that fails I might take a photo and post it.

• Advertisement

azzeretti wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

The pipe is plastic but I am not sure if its UK or Irish 1/2", I am in work at the moment. I think I might go with the insert solution to start. The pipe is bare at the moment, that is, there is no nut and ring sticking out, just the pipe end.

I'll try the inserts and if that fails I might take a photo and post it.

If its brown plastic it might be qualpex. Try a tec51 blank with an insert in the pipe if not take a picture!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

All the suggestions are bang on so far but the best thing to do is.... if there's enough of the pipe showing, cut a piece of it and bring it to the plumbing merchants and they'll be able to tell you what type of pipe it is and give you the correct fittings there and then.

Right. Nightmare! The 2 pics show the pipe and the parts I got today. I still can't get this stopped. I placed the insert into the pipe, then placed the back nut on, then the olive and finally the plate. STILL the water leaks. I cut the pipe and smoothed it out too.
    The parition is eventually coming out and I want to be rid of this pipe completely, so I am hoping to cut it back to the ceiling and stopped in there.

That looks like Qualpex alright. IS that the nut and ring that you used?

If so you're not tightening it enough. When you tighten it enough the ring cramps onto the pipe and you won't be able to get it off again, that's what creates the seal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Are you also using PTFE tape on the nut? A must.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say it's a must.

Yeah, thats the one I am using. Tightening it might be the issue alright, only have one spanner that fits one at the moment. Was trying a grip with one end and use the spanner the other! Will get the correct one tomorrow and try again. Ta.

That a 1/2 inch 351.

What tools are you using to tighten it? This is a compression fitting and will need to be tightened to make seal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it's a must.

Its not a must ? some jointing compound or ptfe is just Good plumbing practice especially if its going to be inaccesable , last thing you need is a leak down the line

http://www.johnguest.com/part_spec.asp?s=EPS46_S1

For the DIYer, these are a must. Just push it on and away you go, easy to remove also and can be reused. Unlike the ring in a 351.

Its not a must ? some jointing compound or ptfe is just Good plumbing practice especially if its going to be inaccesable , last thing you need is a leak down the line

Jointing compound maybe, but professional plumbers don't wrap joints with PTFE unless it is a male thread (the reason PTFE exisits).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Isn't the cap a male thread, and the OP is not a professional plumber?

Boxes ticked. :)

azzeretti wrote: »
    Yeah, thats the one I am using. Tightening it might be the issue alright, only have one spanner that fits one at the moment. Was trying a grip with one end and use the spanner the other! Will get the correct one tomorrow and try again. Ta.
    Nah ya really need to tighten it. You'll know when you've done it right. You have to put a bit of effort into it mind.
    Jointing compound maybe, but professional plumbers don't wrap joints with PTFE unless it is a male thread (the reason PTFE exisits).
    What he said. Some Boss White maybe, but it's not necessary.

Hagar wrote: »

edit: just looked at the pic again. He won't need PTFE at all. For some reason I thought he was using a 310 and was then blanking off one end.

Hagar wrote: »

Yes, but it is only used as a tightening method on this fitting and does not come in contact with water. The ring concaves on the pipe to form the seal.

Actually wrapping the cap in PTFE would be pointless and just make it harder to tighten. If you must use it, wrap a small bit around the ring after it is compressed.

DIY-ers should aspire to do things correctly and should do things as they are meant to be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Agreed - no PTFE should be used on compression fittings. As said before the threads on a compression fitting do not form a sealing surface. You have the correct fittings, you need two spanners that fit correctly to tighten it up so that the olive is compressed on to the pastic pipe.

Lads make life easy on the shap. Go out and get a Tec 51 Blank and olive. No crap with how tight it is simple.

He has the right nut and ring but cant get it to work so just replace it

Lads make life easy on the shap. Go out and get a Tec 51 Blank and olive. No crap with how tight it is simple.

He has the right nut and ring but cant get it to work so just replace it
    http://www.johnguest.com/part_spec.asp?s=EPS46_S1

For the DIYer, these are a must. Just push it on and away you go, easy to remove also and can be reused. Unlike the ring in a 351.

For the DIYer speedfit is the way to go imo.

I suggested john guest at the start of this thread. Jasus. Its them phone lines over the southside.... Very slow :D

Sorted. Thanks for all the advice. All I needed in the end was the second spanner to tighten the b'jaysus out of the fitting. Pressure back on and not a drip in sight.

Regarding John Guest fittings. I am very familiar with these for my home brew kegs which are attached to very small beer lines. The push fit, quick release ones are very handy. Mind you, I have had to order these in from the UK/US. Anytime I ever asked about JG fittings I get strange looks.

Called speedfit here.
    Oh and welldone:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Nah ya really need to tighten it. You'll know when you've done it right. You have to put a bit of effort into it mind.

What he said. Some Boss White maybe, but it's not necessary.

Maybe I got it wrong for all these years, I was sure Boss White and similar compounds were not allowed with Qualpex ?

Nice Job Azzeretti

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

Doesn't bother tightning the fitting and then wonders why it leaks! FACEPALM

And fittings like this should not have the "b'jaysus" tightened out of them becasue this also casues leaks. As a rule of thumb when tightening, hand tighten first, and then tighten a further half turn using a wrench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

Doesn't bother tightning the fitting and then wonders why it leaks! FACEPALM

And fittings like this should not have the "b'jaysus" tightened out of them becasue this also casues leaks. As a rule of thumb when tightening, hand tighten first, and then tighten a further half turn using a wrench.

Quite right! However, what is wrong with a fitting designed for qualpex with an insert?

That boss/pfte tape notion on compression joints is overkill.

Tectite_Push_Fit_4cd3d6dfb2e2b.jpg

• Advertisement

Thread is 2 and half years old peeps

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement