Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covering one tattoo with another

Options
  • 26-04-2009 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭

Dear all,

I've been meaning to sort out an old tattoo of mine. Its basically an outline of a Victorian gentleman like figure all filled in black. With time I've noticed how uneven the work is, almost like there are two shades of black on there, and that overall its too blob-like! I don't hate it, but it needs work for sure. I've other tattoos and this is the only one that irks me. Its on my left forearm so not easy to hide.

So I have a budget of 150-200 euro to spend on fixing it up. Is it possible to 'go-over' the tattoo since its all black? Or is the best option sprucing it up with some additions? I'd really like to get a colourful tattoo like my other favourite one, but have I missed my chance now in that area? Will tattoo guys ask for lots more cash to go over an old tattoo or do they care much?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Hey Scop,

No way of telling for sure without getting an idea of the size of the existing tattoo, or seeing a pic of it. Apologie
    if ya did post one, on ma phone so wouldn't see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Its based on this pic, but I don't want to post the tattoo as it'll exist in the internet memory hole forever. http://londonist.com/attachments/Matt/Ripper.jpg

Its appro. the lenght of a CD, and width mirrors the pic really.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

scop wrote: »
    Its basically an outline of a Victorian gentleman like figure all filled in black. With time I've noticed how uneven the work is, almost like there are two shades of black on there

Just thinking, if you gave that picture as a reference image for what you wanted, that could explain why it's not solid black... ?

Covering that up could be incredibly difficult, I'd go with expanding the image

Just thinking, if you gave that picture as a reference image for what you wanted, that could explain why it's not solid black... ?

Well we looked up a number of pics of the same image on the internet in the shop, and the tattoo came out solid black, but over time faded.

I've decided to try expand the tattoo or have another come under it thereby offsetting the 'blocky' look it has. I'll head in tomorrow, and ask the guy what he thinks, and post here his comments in case they help somebody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

I agree. You're better off just adding to it because of its size already. Have a few words with a competant tat artist about what u should get done over it.

• Advertisement

Got a new tattoo on my other good arm. I'll just have to find the perfect image to go around this one and hopefully that will work according to my man in the tattoo shop.

Hey all,

So my new tattoo is generally healed, and like all tattoo nuts I'm thinking about the next one, but the bad tattoo is really getting to me. I can't believe how patchy it is, and I'm starting to notice how the black shows off flaky skin (it being white and the tat being all black). Not cool.

Anyway so I'm fishing for names of recommended cover up artists; particularly if there are any known for taking on hard jobs. My usual guy seems reluctant, but mostly because he has been working on my other arm, and I'm already locked into one project with him. As far as I know he has never done a cover up so I understand his hesitancy.

So any dudes, known for cover-ups let me know, and I will be immensely grateful (and dudes willing to take on hard jobs like this one. all black, prominent on the right forearm, about as long as the average modem).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭tattoodublin

scop wrote: »
    Hey all,

So my new tattoo is generally healed, and like all tattoo nuts I'm thinking about the next one, but the bad tattoo is really getting to me. I can't believe how patchy it is, and I'm starting to notice how the black shows off flaky skin (it being white and the tat being all black). Not cool.

Anyway so I'm fishing for names of recommended cover up artists; particularly if there are any known for taking on hard jobs. My usual guy seems reluctant, but mostly because he has been working on my other arm, and I'm already locked into one project with him. As far as I know he has never done a cover up so I understand his hesitancy.

So any dudes, known for cover-ups let me know, and I will be immensely grateful (and dudes willing to take on hard jobs like this one. all black, prominent on the right forearm, about as long as the average modem).

I think I do a huge amout of cover-ups and scar-work that has apparentley been refused every where else for whatever reasons, I also get alot of really positve feedback on the results. You will however, have to come in and let me see the actual tattoo in the flesh. My studio is at 42 Upper Dorset Street, Pluto.

Advertisement