Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling the Dog Warden

Options
  • 26-04-2009 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knows what dog wardens actually do when someone makes a complaint about a pet.

I want to ring them tomorrow because of my parent's neighbours aggressive dog, but I'm not sure what the procedure is.

Does anyone have any experience with dealing with the Dog Warden. Is it a good route to go down when you've already discussed the situation with the dog's owners?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

What problem is the dog causing to your parents? Is he loose and being aggressive to people in the neighbourhood? How open are the owners to addressing the problem your parents are having?

Your parents can make an official complaint against the dog's owners but they need to inform the owners of their intention in writing beforehand.....I think they'd need to use an official complaint form from the county council...(not too sure of that- I'll try to find out)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭AnnieB82

well I'm the person with the issue with the dog. I moved out of my parents house Jan 2008. The dog is about 3-4 years old. She used to be lovely but as she is left alone all day long she has become frightened and aggressive - even to me and I used to spend a lot of time petting her when I came home from work. I don't have a fear of dogs at all so I feel I'm not over-reacting.
    Each time when she's alone (which is very often) and you walk past the house she jumps up and barks aggressively with her teeth bared. As she is a large dog her head comes right over the wall/gate and in your face. She has not jumped over yet but that's not to say she wont.
    Her nervous behaviour is getting worse and I dread walking past their house to my parents with my son as he freaks out and I'm not 100% sure that she wont jump over and snap at him.
    Once the owners come home she calms down. All the kids on the street are scared of the dog too.
    I spoke to the owner and asked if he could leave the dog in the back while they're away so I know that she can't get out and attack. ( I mentioned my son freaking out when she barks in his face, but said that once I know she can't jump over the wall, then that's my problem - so if she barks from the back garden, then fine.)
    At first he was defensive,but then he agreed to putting her in the back. He doesn't seem to have done this as when I went past again yesterday she was alone as usual and jumping at us with her head over the wall barking.
    I said at the time to my neighbour if he doesn't do something that I will report them to the warden.
    Do I really need to put it in writing? As someone reported my mam before as an unaggressive dog she was fostering once escaped and was bothering the neighbours. She got no warning - the warden just showed up...
    Thanks for your help.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I would just ring the wardens & I am sure they will advise you of whats needed.
    If you feel this animal poses a real threat then talk to the community Guard for your area. He/she would also be able to advise you.
    Is this a corporation/council estate? If so you could also contact the relevant authority.

Hi koolkid, thanks. No it's a private estate. I would rather not go down the whole reporting them route, but I'm annoyed now as they didn't take me seriously, and wouldn't even compromise. I'll call them and ask for advice...

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

AnnieB82 wrote: »
    Do I really need to put it in writing? As someone reported my mam before as an unaggressive dog she was fostering once escaped and was bothering the neighbours. She got no warning - the warden just showed up...
    Thanks for your help.

It doesn't need to be in writing to complain to the dog warden, but it does if you are intending to take them to court cos previous requests to control the dog haven't been met.
    It does sound like this dog is a time bomb waiting to go off. The thing with having the warden call out is that he will see the dog is provided with the basics- food, water and shelter, and the owner will probably assure him that they're making every effort with the dog.....and afterall the dog is on their own property and not running loose.... I'm not sure what action he can take, but maybe just the visit from the warden will be enough to kick start the owner into taking your concerns seriously.
    Of course, he'll know it was you who called the warden out.... just be prepared for possibly being on the receiving end of a tongue lashing!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They won't accept or action anonymous complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

When I was having problems with my neighbours dog I phoned the local dog pound to complain, when that didn't work I followed it up with an email complaint to Fingal Co Co, followed by a written letter to both the council and the warden. That worked :D

Thanks. Well I don't particularly care what the neighbours think of me/say to me. I already told them that at least they'll know it was me that reported them.
    Their attitude bothered me in that when I said well if she jumped on my son, I'm not sure I would get her off him, to which my neigbhbour replied -" oh no, you'd never get her off him". It's like he's acknowledging her danger but still not bothering to do anything about it.
    I rang the dog warden yesterday, and was told someone would call back. This hasn't happened yet. I'm hoping that them calling by will be enough to make a difference.
    All I'm asking is that they confine her to the back garden while they're out...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i think the real question is, do you think the dog actually poses a real threat to public safety or just a perceived one due to the barking?

I'm not just talking about your son, I'm thinking of any child that could be walking past the house if the dog finally decidesit's going to jump the fence.

you've tried to warn the owner about the potential danger, so if you genuinely feel that there is a real danger there I don't see that you have any choice but to report it and I think you've been more than fair.

people have a responsibility to properly look after and keep their animals safe from harm and from harming others.

just out of curiosity, how bit is the dog and how high is the fence?

Hi, yes of course I would be concerned about all the kids - of which there are many in this estate. Most are now terrified of her and keep well away when they walk past ( she was never this bad before and they used to be able to pet her) The dog I'm guessing is around 1 metre tall and the wall maybe 1.5 metres. She has never jumped over that I've seen, but she is lean and I would say she could if she felt threatened enough. I don't think it's natural for a dog to be that petrified of everyone including people that she used to know and trust.
    The owners leave her alone for long periods of time ( at least this is what I noticed while living there, and I assume nothing has changed since), but like I said once they're back she relaxes and doesn't bark. I guess she thinks she needs to protect their house while they're gone.
    Anyway still no call back from the warden so I might call back tomorrow. Maybe if they pay a visit and convince the neighbours that the dog is potentially dangerous - they might move her into the back before it's too late and someone gets hurt....

• Advertisement
Advertisement