Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I propose a cheap way of making cheap voip calls! Comments?

Options
  • 26-04-2009 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I propose if you has a 3 g dongle from Vodafone or 02.

Could you place the sim from your dongle in your (3g capable) phone and use the generous data allowance to run skype or fring on your phone.

I recently seen a article on reddit, where a man jail broke him iphone, used a prepay chip and installed skype and a patch which allowed skype to run over gprs.
    He also bought a skype-in number.
    As a result as long as he was in 3 g reception he could be skyped.

I have read no where on the internet someone sudjecting using a broadband sim in your phone and running skype/voip on it.

Guys is this possible?

sligo_Tech

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

possibly, but why bother?

data is cheap enough these days and most decent phones have wifi on them now so there wouldn't be a huge requirement for it.

even if you could use a data sim in a mobile phone you *probably* wouldn't be able to make or received regular voice calls on it so you would end up crippling it more than you were liberating it.

skype/blueface/fring over wifi FTW. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

3g dongles can have a latency of >120ms, totally unsuitable for any form of VOIP or gaming, its also hit or miss that You will get connected or have a good enough signal.....................................hence they are not really broadband and are called midband on here, its even got its own forum

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Real Skype or Fring only works well on WiFi. It's usually rubbish on 3G.

This is why 3's own Skype phone is actually making an ordinary 3G call setup via data application, the "real" Skype client runs on a server behind the 3G network.

It's only recently that a couple of very new phones even got real Skype clients, and they are really for WiFi. Fring uses SIP and needs a SIP enabled phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭rh555

Isn't THREEgonna offer free skype calls soon anyways at least in the UK. http://www.pcworld.com/article/163787/uk_mobile_operator_offers_free_mobile_skype_calls_forever.html . You can even call countries in which three operates for free and ofcourse calls within ireland are free.

Btw. does anyone know what the difference is between skype enabled phones that will be able to make free phone calls from Three and my phone (k610i) that is not skype enabled but i could just download the java mobile Skype version on my phone. Three said that wont work for some reason Just wondering if anyone knows the difference and why it wont work?

I know it fits more into the Mobile section but I figured it also fits in this discussion.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭cowboy1981

rh555 wrote: »

Btw. does anyone know what the difference is between skype enabled phones that will be able to make free phone calls from Three and my phone (k610i) that is not skype enabled but i could just download the java mobile Skype version on my phone. Three said that wont work for some reason Just wondering if anyone knows the difference and why it wont work?

The Skype phones from 3 are another fraud, just like their so called "Broadband". They don't do real VOIP - instead they use a standard voice call over a GSM voice channel to a gateway in 3's network in the UK. 3 charge nothing for the call, so as to make it look like standard VOIP. Their worst-in-class midband service is not capable of supporting VOIP with any reliability. If you use your own phone with a standard VOIP/Skype client, you will find that it won't work properly over their midband data channel. The Skype/free calls marketing hype is to distract you from the fact that you are buying into relatively expensive monthly packages with the worst performance and the poorest customer service record in the industry.

I'm sorry to say it, but your idea is not workable. Proper Skype/VOIP only works over good quality Broadband, such as fixed-line DSL, and even then there are many shortcomings compared to normal PSTN phone calls. Having paid for a fixed line, you get loads of free minutes bundled in, so you might as well use them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭rh555

Thx for the answer. Does real VOIP work for any of the mobile broadband providers (3,meteor,vodafone) or is the ping/packet loss etc. just too bad for acceptable voip quality. Eg. could I buy a broadband addon for my phone and use an applet to make acceptable voip calls?

Once LTE comes out in a few years it shouldnt be an issue anymore. Just wondering if it already works with todays mobile broadband/midband?

Thanks

Thx for the answer. Does real VOIP work for any of the mobile broadband providers (3,meteor,vodafone) or is the ping/packet loss etc. just too bad for acceptable voip quality.

No
    Once LTE comes out in a few years it shouldnt be an issue anymore. Just wondering if it already works with todays mobile broadband/midband?

What LTE? We haven't any spectrum for it and there aren't any real plans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sligo_tech

Thanks for all the great information guys. I think it is a interesting discussion to have, as we see more and more voip products entering the market .

sligo_tech

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    No
    This is not entirely true. I have very successful experiences with Blueface with 3 over 3g signal and g.729 codec. It consumes about 2.95 kbit/s of data up and the same down, and the latenct is about 50ms, and it is fully possible to keep a conversation alive without asking sorry what did you say, all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

flodis79 wrote: »
    This is not entirely true. I have very successful experiences with Blueface with 3 over 3g signal and g.729 codec. It consumes about 2.95 kbit/s of data up and the same down, and the latenct is about 50ms, and it is fully possible to keep a conversation alive without asking sorry what did you say, all the time.

Its possible, but there is zero QOS and contention all over the place.

Also you get out of order packets, high latency, It's just not designed for it.

• Advertisement

flodis79 wrote: »

May be possible on occasion, but no way can you depend on it.

Advertisement