Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting MAC's DVs to work on Windows....

Options
  • 26-04-2009 7:48pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I'm having a little trouble putting my video together.

Basically I have two laptops.
    One is a MAC, with a firewire, I've uploaded all my video on this because of the firewire, it's fast, and I couldn't upload anything on the Window's machine, it said it only took digital, not DV tape.

Problem is the MAC is old, only 512mb, lost the iLife CD and it really needs a re-install. I couldn't make the video on iMovie, it often cuts out and sends everything to the recycle bin and I have to start over.

My Window machines is 3gb of RAM massive hard drive so I want to make it on that. Have all the video on external hard drive now, but it won't work on Window's Movie Maker. Says I don't have necessary codec for a DV to work. I downloaded something called 'All in One' codec, still no joy.

Sorry this has been so long, can anyone advise me please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

possible because the files you have are quicktime dv. you will need to convert them into something like dv-avi. Download a program call mpeg streamclip (it's free and works on both mac and pc) and conver the files to avi's

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Brilliant thanks. I should be used to having to convert Apple things at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

dory wrote: »
    So I'm having a little trouble putting my video together.

Basically I have two laptops.
    One is a MAC, with a firewire, I've uploaded all my video on this because of the firewire, it's fast, and I couldn't upload anything on the Window's machine, it said it only took digital, not DV tape.

Problem is the MAC is old, only 512mb, lost the iLife CD and it really needs a re-install. I couldn't make the video on iMovie, it often cuts out and sends everything to the recycle bin and I have to start over.

My Window machines is 3gb of RAM massive hard drive so I want to make it on that. Have all the video on external hard drive now, but it won't work on Window's Movie Maker. Says I don't have necessary codec for a DV to work. I downloaded something called 'All in One' codec, still no joy.

Sorry this has been so long, can anyone advise me please?

did you try installing quicktime player?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

I'd recommend upgrading the software to Lightroom elements. there's a lot more that can be done and it's compatible with a lot of video file types. im surprised that WMM is not compatible with DV. MPEG Streamclip is a fantastic converter I use it myself to convert video files on my mac.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

HEy thanks, didn't realise more people had responded.
    I guess the best thing here would be to find a programme that would either accept dv clips or else bulk convert, cause that stream one is doing them one at a time, and I have 10 hours of footage, all chopped up into scenes!
    And about quicktime player, what would installing that do?
    Thanks for all the help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

dory wrote: »
    HEy thanks, didn't realise more people had responded.
    I guess the best thing here would be to find a programme that would either accept dv clips or else bulk convert, cause that stream one is doing them one at a time, and I have 10 hours of footage, all chopped up into scenes!
    And about quicktime player, what would installing that do?
    Thanks for all the help!

Just a guess but maybe installing quciktime will allow movie maker to play the files. The files you are using are probalby quicktime which is the mac equivalent of dv avi's

Advertisement