Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Legal status of toilets and buses

• 26-04-2009 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭

Heres one I've been thinking about.

Legally, what is the status of toilets on buses? How long does a bus route have to be before the bus company has to provide toilets?

Reason I ask is that I use Citylink Galway-Cork often enough, and its a 3 1/4 hour run (in good traffic) without a pee break. Now it does stop in Limerick, and theres a toilet opposite the bus stop (albeit out of order for a while), but the bus doesnt wait there. Presumably though if you went to the driver and said "good sir my bladder appears full - may I ask permission to go and drain it at that commode over yonder." he would probably let you. But according to the bus timetable he doesnt have to.

I have a strong bladder so I can make it door to door (4 1/2 hours in good traffic including getting to/from bus stations). But I know people who wont use the service because there isnt a pee stop.

Do a bus company legally have to provide a wee point and if so, how long does the trip have to be to warrent this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

It certainly makes it an unviable option for actually a great many people. Even for those of us in the right demographic, and young and fit, it's rather horrible if you are foolish in your choice/scheduling of food and more importantly drink while travelling by bus!

At least we have toilets in all food outlets here in Ireland. If it wasn't for that, the situation would be dire even for motorists not familiar with local towns, due to the lack of motorway service stations. Even so it's iffy for outside normal hours.

I regard rail travel as the best way to travel (when all is going well, and presuming one can afford it), even taking motorways into account. Nevertheless, I have bad memories of regularly being on a commuter train set run from Limerick to Dublin that had toilets which seemed to be running biological experiments!

It's a bit odd that Dublin-Cork doesn't have the equivalent of a Borris-in-Ossory stop (as the Limerick-Dub route does - even the "non-stop" did, not sure if it is still running). It's a forsaken place and a dead 15 mins if you don't need it, but it does make a certain amount of sense! It would seem it will remain a stop on Limk-Dub even post-motorway opening, as there is a junction there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i thought Dublin to Cork stopped at Joesephines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

this is obviously where the WRC will come into it's own, weak bladderers of the wesht unite you have nothing to lose but your diapers!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

corktina wrote: »
    i thought Dublin to Cork stopped at Joesephines?

It does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

If you're going on a long journey, it makes sense to have a slash before you get on the coach. I've noticed on the Citylink Dublin-Galway route that most drivers will stop and wait outside pubs, etc, but one or two will announce fairly emphatically before leaving the terminus that "there will be no stopping for toilet breaks anywhere along the route". The trouble is that when the coach stops for one person, at least ten others suddenly get the urge too. And then, before you know it, you have others getting off the bus to run into Centra or have a smoke, stretch their legs, etc. A simple pee-break turns into a ten minute delay, which is pretty unfair on those of us who are considerate enough to "hold on" (sometimes in absolute agony) and acknowledge the fact that public transport doesn't lend itself to our individual needs and whims in the same way as private transport does.

I've also observed that those who request pee-breaks are usually the very same people who bring stinking sandwiches onto the bus, talk loudly on mobile phones, take up double-seats (fully reclined, of course) with their luggage (which is far too important to join everybody else's luggage in the compartment underneath), ask the driver to let them out at undesignated bus stops, spend an eternity fumbling around when paying and then don't bother thanking the driver when they disembark.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

A large Thermos flask is just the job in an emergency! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Went Galway-Cork with a pregnant friend once, think she had to pee after 30 mins :O Held her hand all the way chanting 'all in your head' at her :)

i would imagine they'd let you get off, have a pee and catch the next coach wouldnt they (say, at Limerick)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Rawr

Wouldn't it just be easier if Intercity busses all had toilets on-board?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Rawr wrote: »

About ten years ago, all the Bus Éireann Dublin-Galway busses had toilets, they gradually they tended to be closed or out of order, then disappeared as the fleet was upgraded.

CityLink never had toilets, and GoBus just came on the Dublin-Galway route and are advertising Toilets and WiFi on all services...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Onboard toilets aren't unusual for intercity buses outside Ireland though, are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Rawr wrote: »

They used to have them on a lot of the buses. Roughly ten years ago fleet. Their was to many complaints of smells etc, the drivers didn't like them. I think they could lock them, and just say out of order to prevent the buss from smelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

corktina wrote: »
    i would imagine they'd let you get off, have a pee and catch the next coach wouldnt they (say, at Limerick)

In the case of Citylink tho, thats a two hour wait :(

are they not hourly anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Nope. They changed their schedule after they stopped it and restarted it again.

Much better now, just not as often. No Ennis.

http://www.citylink.ie/timetable-galw2cork.htm

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Zoney wrote: »
    Onboard toilets aren't unusual for intercity buses outside Ireland though, are they?
    we are a relatively small island TBH.

Advertisement