Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what can i do to improve my machine?

Options
  • 26-04-2009 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi,
    Im not very good tecnically when it comes to inside the PC.
    I currently have a HP m7755 desktop.

The specs are here. Its a dual core.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00864249&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

so my question is this - i need a quad core for my HD editing as the new adobe stuff is optimized for quad systems.

Can i upgrade this machine to quad and what else can i do to improve it?

Or should i just buy a quad core and save myself the hassle?

Thanks in advance,
    G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

grifter09 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Im not very good tecnically when it comes to inside the PC.
    I currently have a HP m7755 desktop.

The specs are here. Its a dual core.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00864249&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

so my question is this - i need a quad core for my HD editing as the new adobe stuff is optimized for quad systems.

Can i upgrade this machine to quad and what else can i do to improve it?

Or should i just buy a quad core and save myself the hassle?

Thanks in advance,
    G

Your PC is pretty much already upgraded to the limit. Bar maybe add a new harddrive if you need the space.

No point putting in extra ram as you already have 4 gig...

Your motherboard is not listed by Intel as supporting quadcore CPUs and it is a 945g chipset which only bearly supports SOME core2duos, wouldn't even bother trying to upgrade the CPU. Too much hassle.

If you are 100% sure you will get the use out of the quadcore and def use adobe software for a lot for hardcore/professional media work, then I would buy a new PC.
    (you mention you are not very technical with the insides of a pc so I assume you will not be building.....)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

In theory an older (65nm) C2Q could work on 945G

In practice it all depends on whether the mobo's manufacturer brought out the very last CPU compatibility upgrades for your board's BIOS. I think some Gigabyte and MSI boards claimed support for the Q6600/6700 on 945 but I'm pretty sure that your Asus P5LP-LE won't courtesy of crappy HP OEM BIOS phail :(

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭grifter09

thanks guys,
    basically i now know i need to get another machine.
    Im seriously thinking of building my own now to finish this trend once and for all.
    thanks for your help.
    G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 colwood

Wait for intel core i5 cpu if you are going to build. ETA September. The i5 is basicaliy on par with the i7 but it only uses 2 channels of memory instead of three for core i7. Therefore ram, motherboard and cpu will be far cheaper than any rig built around core i7. Plus if you wait the few months there will be sata III, usb 3, Direct X 11 graphics cards and windows 7 you would be mad not to wait a few months. And core i5 is multiples faster than core 2 quad at video editing.

Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8ghz (OCZ Freeze Extreme)
    Asus P6T Deluxe
    6gb Ocz Platinum DDR3 1600mhz
    Zotac GTX 260 55nm sp216 factory OC 650mhz Sli
    WD Caviar Blacks Raid 0
    Creative x-fi titanium
    CM Storm Sniper
    Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme RT1366
    Corsair 850watt
    Microsoft x6 sidewinder

Vista premium x64

Advertisement