Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Bike Clothing Advice

• 26-04-2009 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi all just got my first bike the other day its an fzr 250, i have the bike already as a mate gave it to me but at the moment i have no safety gear helmet, jacket, boots and trousers can some one please advise me on some entry level gear something that is affordable that i could buy all at once and not have to risk my safety by buying a helmet one week and a pair of boots the week after, any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

try cotters http://www.cottermc.com/webshop/index.php

They're usually ok to pick up some bargins.

I got my gear in JP's in Pearse street. Sound lads in there and I'm sure he'll look after you if you ask for a deal on a jacket / trousers / gloves / helmet / boots.

You can pick up textile jackets / trousers / boots for in around €100 each, jacket probably a bit more, boots trousers a bit less. Lids are about €150 upwards and gloves can be as little or as much as you like.

It all depends what you want though, a lot of stuff at that end is basic enough, i.e keep you warm and water proof and a bit of padding. If you want full armour / back armour / leathers you'll pay more for it but even at the basic level you should get 5 point CE protection in the jacket and CE protection in the trousers.

I'm still using all my original cheapo stuff though with the exception of a decent leather jacket I bought a while ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Heres me in all my glory.

Bought the Soumy helmet in from the USA.

Would have cost me 600 euro here,got it from the USA for 450 euro all in.

Got the armoured and waterproof hip jacket and bottoms from Bikeworld on the Long Mile Road and bought/won the boots new on Ebay for 100 euro.Would have cost me 220 euro here in Ireland.

Gloves I got for 70 euro cash at the Skerries 100 road races last year.Managed to get him down from 100 euro to 70 when I waved the cash.

Remember........CASH IS KING.

IMG_1498.jpg
    100_0720-2.jpg
    IMG_0864.jpg
    IMG_1165.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭cusackd

cheers lads so for the moment get sized up and compare the market i suppose seems like cash is king but ebay is god???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

cusackd wrote: »
    cheers lads so for the moment get sized up and compare the market i suppose seems like cash is king but ebay is god???

Ebay is only good if you know exacty what you are looking for and what suits you.

Make sure the seller had good feedback and check about shipping times and costs before you buy in from abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ah paddy sure arent ya gorgeous.
    Try the visor shop(crossans) their up north but they are cheap as chips and ya can get next day delivery. Some great deals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

I got myself kitted out at www.topgearsuperstore.com

Good value, decent gear & fast delivery. Subsequently ordered a helmet and same story. They used to do package deals that covered everything you need to get started, but there was no sign of that when I had a goo just now.

Only real issue is being careful about pickin the proper sizes....

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Niall06

Get yourself over to Cotters, always found them the cheapest around.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭cusackd

good stuff lads cheers for all the help ill let simon in cotters know that he has a good reputation on here, working next door to him so i might just stay local :)

Advertisement