Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Concrete First Floor

• 26-04-2009 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I want to put in a concrete first floor and have heard that a cheaper option to a precast slab would be to be do a cast in situ using the timber joists as a basis for the deck.

I would like to hear from anybody who has done this and what the design spec was?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

A cast in situ floor can in most cases as you say is a much cheaper option. The main problem with this is that every floor is different, different spans, different dead loads, different live loads, different point loads. Because of this, each floor has to be specifically designed by a structural engineer, who will dictate what grade concrete to use, what grade steel to use, the quantity of steel, the depth of the concrete required and the grade and centres of the timber for joists. Additional steel may also be required depending on spans and loading.

The only answer yoy will honestly recieve here is you won't know the price difference until you can get a spec from a qualified fully insured structural engineer.

SHORT ANSWER
    . In most cases yes it is cheaper, but every case is different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 scarriff

Quazzie wrote: »
    A cast in situ floor can in most cases as you say is a much cheaper option. The main problem with this is that every floor is different, different spans, different dead loads, different live loads, different point loads. Because of this, each floor has to be specifically designed by a structural engineer, who will dictate what grade concrete to use, what grade steel to use, the quantity of steel, the depth of the concrete required and the grade and centres of the timber for joists. Additional steel may also be required depending on spans and loading.

The only answer yoy will honestly recieve here is you won't know the price difference until you can get a spec from a qualified fully insured structural engineer.

SHORT ANSWER. In most cases yes it is cheaper, but every case is different.

Thanks for the reply I will get a structural engineer to design. I suppose prior to doing that I would like to hear from anybody that did this already and what additional work is involved compared to placing a concrete slab in place and placing a screed on same.

I will get an experienced concrete guy to do the deck and pour the concrete however I would like to get a brief description of what is invloved and what safety procedures are put in place to ensure the floor is level and smooth. I understand how the deck is propped with acro's but would the entire floor be poured at once? if so how would this be screeded if the width of the floor is 12mtrs and an overall area is about 150sqm, is poking required?

Advertisement