Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV - over cap options - charge or suspend ?

Options
  • 26-04-2009 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭

Have been with UTV for about 2 years now.

Had been paying the extra fiver or so for unlimited but wasn't using it enough so I took it off the bill and opted for the "suspend my account if I go over my allowance" as opposed to the "let me go over but charge me"

Normally I'd say use 2-3 GB max per month on me riclety old 1MB line.

So this month we had a heavy user staying with us and it looks like we went over the allowance.

And guess what ? They actually suspended us !

I thought they ISPs were fairly OK with people going over the odd time ?

Granted, I'd be more annoyed at a big bill and I did choose this option but hey, long time customer and all that ..

Anyone else had similar from UTV ? is it worth a "pretty please" call tomorrow ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I wouldnt say the call would do much good, the best response I would say you'd have is they might upgrade you back to the unlimited pack for a charge but you'd probably have to keep it for a set time eg 1 month?
    Other than that long term customer or not I dont think they'd budge. Rules are rules like.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

long_b wrote: »
    ?

Yes, it says 'suspend' and that's what they actually do!

Had an extra €30 added one month about two years ago for going over my limit and from then on chose the 'suspend' option. Been cut off about 2 or 3 times since then towards the end of the month. I'd be surprised if any 'please, please' or 'I've been a longstanding customer' call will do much good. It's a pain, when you get used to having the internet every day to suddenly not have it. I'd be interested to know how you get on if you do call though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Uhoh. Getting close. End of month soon though... Going to turn off downloads for a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

Have been with UTV for about 2 years now.

I thought they ISPs were fairly OK with people going over the odd time ?

So you opt for the suspension option and now your surprised UTV do what you ask? Some people are never happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

It's all automated, so I wouldn't take it personally.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd set the account to suspend, from what I understand because UTV are fairly good in providing a "unlimited" option they do actually charge if you go over the cap.

Nothing wrong with this imho as they do make it clear....though their usage monitor doesn't appear to work for me at all.

Why should they not charge you when you could have paid 5e extra for a unlimited option :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

So this month we had a heavy user staying with us and it looks like we went over the allowance. he went over our allowance

fixed your post

ring up your prick of a mate and tell him you have been charged over €500 for him going over your limit, if he pays any of it use that to get upgraded

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

UTV are strict with their quota, they will cut you off and no matter what you say they claim to be unable to change the terms of your account until the next month, I've had it happen and its inconvenient even if it does save your pocket. Obviously they want that extra 5.99 to keep things going...

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

are there still people with UTV?

WAKE up..

move to eircom ..i hit over 100 gigs every month on my 3 meg package..and NEVER got an email or phone call or charged a penny...
    Only reason i dont go for 7 meg package , is my pings would be affected..

Like they say..u pay for what u get..

I moved from BT cause of ping problems...BT 90+, back to eircom last few months 30/50ms all online games...bill is about the same to.

m

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mattman wrote: »
    are there still people with UTV?

WAKE up..

move to eircom ..<SNIP>

Just curious what package are you on and how much you paying (total cost incl line rental calls etc)

There will come a day when they do charge you and you;ll be first to post here ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

Thanks for all the good old-time boards advice and hostility there folks.

Most of the angries missed my intended point - even if you can choose one of two punishments you'd prefer not to get caught, especially when everyone threatens it but only some apply it.

The upshot was, after a call to support and then from sales, they agreed to let me back on provided I signed up for another year. A pyrrhic victory to be sure, but both sides came out happy as the new tariff's a little cheaper.

Now for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

Cabaal wrote: »
    Just curious what package are you on and how much you paying (total cost incl line rental calls etc)

There will come a day when they do charge you and you;ll be first to post here ;)

me..3 meg package..we use the phone a lot..average bill with bt and eircom was allways 180-230 every 2 months..
    we (family) use the net a LOT also! about 10 hours a day its used...at least!

like i said..i;d move to the 7meg unlimited downloads IF the pings were unaffected...but they are...so its not the extra tenner or whatever..

if utv cut me off..i'd cut them off! i have tried utv, bt. at the time they did the best offer for "me"..but now eircom are..so thus with them!

easy peasy..time for a few sausages..mmmmm

mattman wrote: »
    me..3 meg package..we use the phone a lot..average bill with bt and eircom was allways 180-230 every 2 months..

Ouch, I'm curious what the average phone bill is but I'm doubting its this high
    we (family) use the net a LOT also! about 10 hours a day its used...at least!

Time on-line has nothing to do with it, actual bandwidth usage is what matters :)

[/QUOTE]like i said..i;d move to the 7meg unlimited downloads IF the pings were unaffected...but they are...so its not the extra tenner or whatever..[/QUOTE]

Thing is there is no such thing as unlimited with any provider, just what usage is viewed as "reasonable" by the ISP ;)

Advertisement