Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving home with a guinea pig

Options
  • 26-04-2009 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm wondering if someone can help us out with any advice.

My gf has had a guinea pig (aptly named "Guinea") for about 1.5 years and I have been looking after him mostly now for the past 6 months. Now, she will be moving back home to Spain in the near future and I will be leaving Dublin and following her as well some time after that.

We would both love to keep him and are wondering if there is any way of transporting guinea from Ireland to Spain?

If anyone has any experience with a situation like this then advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Will you be going by road or air?

Guinea pigs can travel well if made comfortable.

A secure cat carrier (vari kennel may be needed if going on a plane) with a metal door rather than the plastic doors.

Vet bed is the best for the bottom of the carrier as this is soft and comfortable and will absorb the wees unlike woodchips which are messy and not good for a pigs respiratory system or coat. Or a layer of newspaper and carefresh. I'd go with the vet bed though it's great stuff and can be used a zillion times over.

Putting vegetables in with him is important esp. more watery types as a water bottle would just leak everywhere so cucumber and red peppers would be handy.

I've had someone adopt a rabbit from me before and take him on the plane to France and he didn't have to go in the hold. Not sure what the rules are nowdays you might need to ring a few airlines to find out.
    Ideally it would be less stressful for the pig if he didn't have to go in the hold.

Advertisement