Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bearded Collie pups??

• 26-04-2009 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

hi there,

Myself and my wife are looking for a bearded collie puppy and are finding it very hard to find anything on any of the usual websites or publications, anybody who has any info on breeders or if you are a breeder could you please let me know. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Have you tried the IKC website for a list of breeders?

Collie pups come in to rescue a lot, bearded collie pups not as much but still it is well worth contacting a few rescues in and around your area it might take a while but one might turn up in rescue that needs a home.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

To echo what Guineapigrescue said, it is worth checking out the rescues. Both Dogs in Distress in Dublin, and Lasthope in Meath, had Bearded Collies in recent months. Even if you left your details with them they may contact you when another comes in.

Irish Kennel Club contact is Mrs. H. Hegarty, she can tell you who your nearest Bearded Collie breeder is:
    021-4210730

Also, breeders in Kildare who'll be able to let you know when the next litter is due/planned....
    086 1670277
    087 2330832

Whoever you end up buying a puppy from, please do your research, ask the breeders loads of questions, make sure you see the mother with the pups, and the father if possible, and if you get an offer to be met halfway with the pup- move on and look at another breeder. Responsible breeders of healthy pups don't deliver their pups to people.

Good luck in your search:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Hi All
    Thanks for the tips about the kennels, it is something that never crossed my mind as I would not have thought that anybody could give up\mistreat those adorable dogs! :eek:
    Also, breeders in Kildare who'll be able to let you know when the next litter is due/planned....

I have already contacted those 2 breeders but there was no answer so left messages to try get back to me about their next litter, I might follow up on them later this week, as I don't want to hassle people too much.

@Call me Socket
    I have already researched many breeds and the "Beardie" is the one that we settled on based on the space we have available, the temperment of the dog and how they interact with other animals. we already have a cavilier king charles and believe that the 2 would mix well especially around children.

Thanks for all your help.

Regards
    Tommy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Just be very careful who you buy from and what you're actually getting.

Beardies (like many other breeds) have a bit of an issue with inbreeding. Luckily enough that hasn't really manifested itself (yet) with loads of debilitating illnesses, but you'd get the odd invidual that isn't the way it should be.

There are very few breeders and high demand, so Beardies usually "fly off the shelves" and command good money.

We got a Beardie from the UK years ago and made all the beginners mistakes (i.e. overlooked a good few negative indicators in our excitement to finally get a Beardie) and now we're stuck with a blue blooded "idiot". First class paperwork and pedigree, well regarded breeder with a good few successes ...but our dog isn't quite the full shilling. Thankfully she's not aggressive, just gaga.

We are now of the firm opinion, that we were sold the dodgy one in the litter, because they knew full well that by the time the truth dawned on us, we would not have the heart to cart the poor pup all the way back to the UK.

We have since met a few more Beardies from other breeders that also weren't the most stable in character ...so do watch out.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mhairt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sugarhill

Hi Tommycahir. I posted this message up on the "to good home" thread, but saw you are looking for a beardie and thought I'd draw your attention to it. I can't say enough about our beauty - she is a year and a half. Everywhere we go people stop and love her. she is loveable and friendly and boucey and loves other dogs. I think she will calm in a year or two but my main concern is the amount of space she needs compared to what we can offer her. (this only came to light after we'd had her for a time. Our garden was fine for about a half year until she got larger) If you have some amount of space (Carlow?) you may want to consider her. I could send you photos if you wanted. She is a beauty and our hearts will be broken. But even this morn she is nearly leaping the walls of our very small garden and we can only manage the two walks. She needs SPACE. She has had training classes and is a DREAM. If you were ever up in Dublin you would be welcome just to stop in and pat her.

STILL LOOKING FOR HOME WITH LOTS OF LOVE AND SPACE
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sugarhill viewpost.gif
    We have a rescued Bearded Collie, the rescue home thought she was a mix, but a few people (including the trainer) think she is the real deal, but bred to be a working collie. Anyway, none of this mattered to us, we were happy to have a loveable dog. She is a year and a half old now and she has been with us for a year. She is fully vaccinated, microchipped and the lot. We are looking for a new home for her because we simply feel she needs more space than we can offer her. We've small children and a small garden. We can not let them out together in the garden because she has so much energy she bounds all over the children and through the yard (she is like Tigger!) She is lovely - and when we can take her to a field and let her run she is beautiful and full of energy and very clever. We've had to board her a few times when we went away on holiday with a lovely couple in Kildare - they have a lot of space, and she ran and ran and ran and never tired. They have agreed that she has boundless energy and probably needs more space and maybe another dog friend. I'm afraid the couple of walks we can give her every day and the few runs in the field we can manage are not enough for her and I feel she needs a bit better than what we can offer. We love her to pieces and feel she is better off with us because she is loved and well looked after, but if the right person/people came along and they had space for her to run and lots of love and perhaps older children or none at all would be a better situation for her. She would be free to the idyllc home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sugarhill

Photo of our Bearded Collie - see attachment

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ciaran728

Hi, just wondering if you had any luck locating a bearded collie in the local pounds??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Hi All

Thanks for the help, all the advice was really appreciated, we managed to source one up north just outside Newry over the weekend. :)

@sugarhill
    Apologies for not getting back to you sooner but my wife really wanted to get a puppy rather than an older dog and we prefer to get a dog that a bitch pup.

@ciaran728
    We had a look around many of the local rescue kennels but their mainly seemed to be border collies rather than beardies in them.

Regards
    Tommy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 PAW PRINCESS

Hello, just wondering if you ever found a home for your Beardie as I am trying to locate one for the family?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Hello, just wondering if you ever found a home for your Beardie as I am trying to locate one for the family?

This thread is over a year and half old in case you didnt know, so i would say the dog is rehomed at this stage.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tommyarnold5

If anyone knows where I can buy a bearded collie pup from a reputable deal, please let me know. Would love to get for Xmas present

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

If anyone knows where I can buy a bearded collie pup from a reputable deal, please let me know. Would love to get for Xmas present

As a general rule reputable breeders don't have pups in the winter months, bitchs can only have so many litters and spring puppies get a much better start in life so it makes sence to breed then. Anyone considered any way reputable at all will not home dogs over the christmas period. It is never a good idea to give a dog as a present unless the person will get one regardless in which case both of you will have a responsibility for the dog. Make sure the person has done all the relevant research into the breed and they should have the major say in the choosing of it. A dog should never be bought for a child or as a surprise.

If you are both perfectly sure a better christmas present might be a few books on the breed and on canine behavior and training, maybe a few accessories like dog bowls and a bed and the promise of a puppy at a later stage (you will find it much easier to find a pup from late February onwards). You also need to consider who will pay for vet fees and insurance etc.

Advertisement