Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve and the RDF

Options
  • 26-04-2009 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if you are able to join the Garda Reserve while serving with the RDF?

I was talking to a Garda Reserve today and would be extremely interested in signing up. However, I'm currently a member of the RDF (3 star Medic) and was wondering if that precludes me being able to sign up.

The RDF site says that you cannot be a member of the Garda and a member of the RDF but says nothing about the Garda Reserves.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

Does anyone know if you are able to join the Garda Reserve while serving with the RDF?

I was talking to a Garda Reserve today and would be extremely interested in signing up. However, I'm currently a member of the RDF (3 star Medic) and was wondering if that precludes me being able to sign up.

The RDF site says that you cannot be a member of the Garda and a member of the RDF but says nothing about the Garda Reserves.

On the Garda website, it states one of the restrictions for joining is if you are a member of the defence forces, whether or not the RDF is covered by this I'm not sure?!

http://www.garda.ie/controller.aspx?page=1632

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

You cannot be in both. RDF are Defence Forces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 boardsbandit200

you can apply to the garda reserve while serving in the rdf however -if you are accepted- the day you recieve your invitation to start training in templemore your commanding officer will recieve a letter that you have been accepted and as far as I know you will be forced to leave- unless you decline the invitation to train as a reserve you must let your C.O. know

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

yep, you must bring your letter of discharge with you on your first day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

Try and get your discharge letter sorted early too if you know you been accepted to the Garda Reserve. Left mine off till the last possible moment and nearly didn't get it in time to start training.

• Advertisement
Advertisement