Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donabate - Hotel, Restaurant, Pub, Golf Recommendations?

Options
  • 26-04-2009 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm planning a two day stay in Donabate in the next 6-8 weeks with my wife and another couple. We like our food and pints and craic. During each day myself and the other lad will play golf (Corbalis twice or perhaps somewhere else if anyone wants to recommend somewhere?) and the girls will chill out walking the beach, having coffee, having lunch, maybe getting a facial etc until we''re back from golf at which point we'll head out for a nice meal and then good pints in a good local pub.

It's kind of joint celebration of his 50th and my 40th so I'd like to tap into the knowledgebase here and ask for recommendations in relation to:-

1. Where to stay? (Waterside House Hotel?)
    2. Where to eat?
    3. Where to go for pints?
    4. What the girls can do during the day?
    5. Where other than Corbalis can we play golf that won't cost a packet?

All suggestions gratefully received.

Regards,

Ben

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

BenEadir wrote: »
    1. Where to stay? (Waterside House Hotel?)
    2. Where to eat?
    3. Where to go for pints?
    4. What the girls can do during the day?
    5. Where other than Corbalis can we play golf that won't cost a packet?
    1. The Waterside is the only hotel in the area.

2. The Waterside, Keelings pub in the village, Kate's Cafe, Chungs Chinese, and another restaurant upstairs in the Shopping Centre (can't think of it's name).

3. Smyths and Keelings are the only pubs in the area (as well as The Brook in Portrane).

4. Plenty of walks available. They could start at the hotel and walk nothwards along the path towards St Ita's Hospital, around the cliffwalk to Portrane, back on the Portrane Road to Donabate and back up New Road to the hotel again. It takes about 1 hour 15 mins.

Newbridge House and parkland is nearby also.

5. I'm afraid I know nothing about golf!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I also recommend Newbridge House for a day outing.

Golf wise, there are a lot of golf clubs in Donabate.
    I have personal experience of but no affliation with Balcarrick GC and the green fees are reasonable.
    http://www.balcarrickgolfclub.com/

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Thanks guys, some really helpful info there.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭bryanmurr

Turvey Golf club is 30 euro green fee, nice course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Lovely course at Turvey.

Swords open course is nice enough too, but its been many many years since i played it.
    http://www.swordsopengolfcourse.com/fees.htm

Lovely one in Malahide too.
    http://www.malahidegolfclub.ie/home/default.asp?NCID=1

here is a good list too...
    http://www.dublintourist.com/directory/recreation/golfing/north_county/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

bryanmurr wrote: »
    Turvey Golf club is 30 euro green fee, nice course.
    Africa wrote: »
    Lovely course at Turvey
    I don't play myself but from listening to my friends and work colleagues, most of them don't like Turvey GC at all and much prefer Donabate, Beaverstown, The Island, Balcarrick etc. (all also in Donabate).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

your spoilt for choice for golfing anyway. Loads of clubs around, Beaverstown is good from reports, not played it myself.

For the kids, you got the beaches in both Donabate and Portrane, which can be really nice when you get the weather, and there are great walks between them.

There are 2 beauticians in the village for the facials :) my missus says they are good. There's also the Pavillions shopping centre about 10 mins drive up the road.

Dunno what the pubs are like, I think Smyths is the better of the 2 but be interesting to know what you think.

Check out the sandwiches and snacky things in the Harvest Deli in the village too. Lovely stuff and pretty reasonable tbh. Food in the Waterside is grand, nothing spectacular, Italian in the village I haven't ate in yet, looks reasonable priced, but there are loads of nice places in the area if you have the car with you

Advertisement