Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New wood furniture stinks!

Options
  • 26-04-2009 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi, bought walnut bed, dresser, tallboy, TV unit and sideboard and I can get this awful smell - like a musty, body odour smell from them. I have cleaned and polished them but can't shift the odour. Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Walnut does have an odor alright, but its a nice one, certainly not musty. Besides, once its sealed I cant see why it'd smell (ie varnised etc). Have you turned them over and looked at the bases, undersides of the legs (ie areas that might not have been sealed) for any form or mold or rot that may have got into the wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

White vinegar is great for removing odours, try giving the unit a once over with a cloth dampened with vinegar. Also try leaving some baking soda inside the units in an eggcup or similar. This will absorb odours.

Advertisement