Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Exam Thread [for all preparation and exam talk nonsense]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I could get a 1:1 in bull**** after that exam. I did the readings, but for the life of me couldn't put the right material with the right authors, so didn't bother referring to them like asked, I just generalised.

Here's hoping for an A1:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 DCJR

Mossin wrote: »
    Afaik, Mintzberg and Waters is part of process, content and context. That is why I am not touching that question! Also because I havent the foggiest notion of what its on about, and the tutor said not to do it if you dont understand it! So I'm taking her advice...But like I said, it appears to be a part of that question.

Again, I do believe that the cultural web is part of hte strategic change question. I am only learning about the web, and nothing else! Its all that I'll be putting down on paper in the exam.

I'll be doing alliance management [strategic alliances], strategic change [cultural web] and stakeholder mapping. I feel that they are the 3 that I understand the most.
    I'm not even looking at competitve advantage either. I think that encompasses RBV also. I had enough of that in the F1 case study!

Hope this helps somewhat.

thanks moss.:pac:

i would thank you under your comment but dont know how.:(

one final question...

what wil you do if the strategic change question doesnt ask about cultural web? i have an essay that my friend done up on cultural web but its literally ALL on cultural web, nothing on strategic change (i think the other way this question can be asked is on pettigrew and whipp...??).....

i've learned two essays on strategic alliance and competitive advantage, now just not sure about a third one...

thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

DCJR wrote: »
    one final question...

what wil you do if the strategic change question doesnt ask about cultural web? i have an essay that my friend done up on cultural web but its literally ALL on cultural web, nothing on strategic change (i think the other way this question can be asked is on pettigrew and whipp...??).....

I'll still write my Cultural Web essay. I'm only preparing 3 essays. They will be written down tomorrow regardless of the questions asked!
    I know its not the most ideal method, or even the smartest thing I've ever done, but its what I did for IEM last semester too.

All you can do is hope for the best! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

thanks moss.:pac:

i would thank you under your comment but dont know how.:(

thanks again
    Use the thumbs up icon at the bottom right hand corner of his post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Right, one down, 4 to go!!

OB1 finished. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
    The questions were fair enough I thought, although a handful of them were complete guesses:cool:

Next, Macro.
    That should be interesting...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Right, one down, 4 to go!!

OB1 finished. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
    The questions were fair enough I thought, although a handful of them were complete guesses:cool:

Next, Macro.
    That should be interesting...
    Ya OB went fairly well, there was a lot of stuff I haven't learned but I think a bit of the old common knowledge made me do fairly ok in it, (that and the no negative marking...)

Economics should be nice, one module I really like.
    Some amount of work to do after that though

I've just read a competitive advantage essay (in 2 variations) and am confident I can pass this exam having started studying only half an hour ago.

Ah procrastination...I've just gone and added, amongst others, 1Huge1 on facebook:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 playingpirate

For anybody thats learning an essay and writing it no matter what the question is for Strat Man like me...

I was at Jim's tutorial in week 12, the one he gives himself, and he said he was making the questions more opened ended this year to allow us write what we know...

Apparently the world we're entering after college is stressful enough and he doesnt want us screwed over by an exam before we leave

He also offered to give anybody a reference if they ever needed one!

Sound.

For anybody thats learning an essay and writing it no matter what the question is for Strat Man like me...

I was at Jim's tutorial in week 12, the one he gives himself, and he said he was making the questions more opened ended this year to allow us write what we know...

Apparently the world we're entering after college is stressful enough and he doesnt want us screwed over by an exam before we leave

He also offered to give anybody a reference if they ever needed one!

Sound.
    Ya I met him about the project a few weeks back and he was dead on about it. Said to call if I ever needed any help or references.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Good luck to everybody (a bit late I know)

Well thats 1 down and 2 to go!

I'm not ecstatic with how it went, but I'm quite content with it :)
    I got to write all 3 of my essays the way I had written them [which isnt exactly how the question was asked] but I had to rework them slightly.

Dont care too much more anyhow! That exam is now finished :D

Next exam on Monday..

didnt like the stakeholders question.

kinda threw me

but other than that was ok

off to bed now. have been awake since 6 am on tuesday morning.

brain is fried

its amazing what six cans of red bull will do for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

I thought it was ok.... It was just a normal question except of say stakeholder it said non-shareholder!!

I thought the exam was ok.... the question on Porter was really short though.... did anyone else find that?

kinda threw me

but other than that was ok

off to bed now. have been awake since 6 am on tuesday morning.

brain is fried

its amazing what six cans of red bull will do for you.

A bare minimum of study (3 hours) and I was happy enough with that exam. I covered most of the stuff apart from the management issues with Alliances and may have mixed up the stakeholder groups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

I read this:

kinda threw me
    then saw DJCR had quoted DCJR and said the opposite.
    DJCR wrote: »
    I thought it was ok.... It was just a normal question except of say stakeholder it said non-shareholder!!
    Didn't see the little difference in names for a minute until I saw the post count was different.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

The Don wrote: »
    I read this:

then saw DJCR had quoted DCJR and said the opposite.

Didn't see the little difference in names for a minute until I saw the post count was different.:rolleyes:

Yeah its getting old now .... was fun to start with... now just silly !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Oh my bejaysus, that Macro couldn't have been more of a disaster!!!!

The majority of them were complete guesses, and I left about 3 of them unanswered, probalby should have left more :(

Just gotta pray for a good result for the project!!
    Thank got for attendance marks aswelL!!

DJCR wrote: »

I thought the exam was ok.... the question on Porter was really short though.... did anyone else find that?

i just had an introduction, outlined the two theories and their components, stated the differences and then stated how they worked together and conclusion.

my answer was just under six pages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

Oh my bejaysus, that Macro couldn't have been more of a disaster!!!!

The majority of them were complete guesses, and I left about 3 of them unanswered, probalby should have left more :(

Just gotta pray for a good result for the project!!
    Thank got for attendance marks aswelL!!

You'll be fine, you'll pass that module on attendance+homework sheets alone. A decent stab at the project and you'll be flying it

Oh and specifically for Ninty and Mossin; I presume you had Business Stats as a module? Dya reckon its possible to pass it on one days study tomorrow? :o I'm coming around to the conclusion that attending 1 lec and 1 tute all semester and leaving it until now to study... well perhaps it wasn't the best of idea's :eek:

• Advertisement

cson wrote: »
    You'll be fine, you'll pass that module on attendance+homework sheets alone. A decent stab at the project and you'll be flying it

Oh and specifically for Ninty and Mossin; I presume you had Business Stats as a module? Dya reckon its possible to pass it on one days study tomorrow? :o I'm coming around to the conclusion that attending 1 lec and 1 tute all semester and leaving it until now to study... well perhaps it wasn't the best of idea's :eek:

I don't recall Laccys having to do that one, but 4 hours should see you through...from what I hear of the comprehensibility of the lecturer and tutor you didn't miss much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Third exam in three days this afternoon.

The rest of my classmates have had three 0900 exams in a row...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 playingpirate

Three 9 am's in a row?!
    Thats rough going...
    Good luck to ya!

I've got three 4pm's in a row next week, and the three hardest at that. I'll be sleeping for a week afterwards...

Anybody studying for Tom kennedys management accounting 2? It is true that lean accounting isnt going to come up, im hearing two different stories....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

cson wrote: »
    I'm coming around to the conclusion that attending 1 lec and 1 tute all semester and leaving it until now to study... well perhaps it wasn't the best of idea's :eek:

Most people are in the same boat as you for that module.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭NiamhDunk

Anybody studying for Tom kennedys management accounting 2? It is true that lean accounting isnt going to come up, im hearing two different stories....

you're after scaring the life out of me. i hope thats not true. im banking on it being one of my three.

If Lean Accounting doesn't come up I'm holding Tom Kennedy personally responsible if I don't graduate in August!

"Management accounting is the process whereby the internal costs and effeciencies of the organisation are examined in order to achieve the most satisfactory bottom line(ninty9er,2009)." In this context discuss the thinking behind basing 2/3 of an exam on the subject on essay style questions.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

If its not the hot girls in the library distracting you from the exams then its pizza and boards eh ninty9er.... :p

If its not the hot girls in the library distracting you from the exams then its pizza and boards eh ninty9er.... :p

Or the noisy couples in the canteen!!

• Advertisement

At this stage I should have at least 1 out of 4 essays written, but I've got none done. Why you might ask...its more than likely because I dont give a flying f**k anymore! And thats a bad way to be with 2 exams left, and me not finishing until the 18th!

I've been staring at articles and notes on E-Marketing, and a question which asks me to "critically evaluate the importance of online communities and their impact on marketing practice" :(

I could care less, but not by much tbh.

To make matters worse, that type of question is compulsory! An entire section dedication to E-Marketing unfortunately...

Then I've to learn essays [after I research and write them of course] on global market entry strategies, the global environment and global marketing in general...I didnt think this module was as bad as this until I finally sat down to study for it! God damn it to hell...

Good news for all the ppl doing marketing in the new BBS course, you wont have to do this module, as its not on your course! Actually most of the marketing modules I've done arent on the new course!

At least the exam isnt until Monday...I've got a few more days to get stuff done, although I'm not overly confident about what could have been an A module :(

Advertisement