Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proby res

Options
  • 26-04-2009 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

hey

just wondering if anyone has stayed/staying in the Proby res? Doing a MSc in blackrock next year and just wondering about accom. Works out roughly at about €600pm all in.. which probably isn't *that* far away from what I'd be paying to live near carysfort ave (~€425-€475 rent.. + bills)

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I haven't stayed there, but Proby is similar to Glen (possibly a little nicer). The accommodation is nice, you'd be in an en-suite room with shared kitchen and sitting room. If I remember correctly there are 6 students per apartment, and ages can vary from people in their early 20s up to 40s or 50s, with the majority of students being relatively young and recently post primary degree.

Be careful, if you want Proby don't get it confused with Blackrock halls of Residence on your application. They're very different. The closest accommodation to Proby in style and quality is Glenomena in D4.

The biggest downside to living on campus is that it can feel like you never get to leave college, but Blackrock village is about 5 minutes on foot from the campus, and there are bars, restaurants and a wide variety of other facilities there, in addition to plenty of public transport to town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

Proby's exactly like glenonmena, tiny bit larger kitchen in most of the apartments but thats about the only difference. Theres loooads of parties on there over the course of the semester which is a big plus, the downside is the RAs tend to be a lot more anal than youd find in the Belfield campus so they get shut down around midnight most of the time.

If you plan on throwing any big parties regularly try and get a place off campus so you've the freedom to do that. Off campus places will be a bit less spartan too, I dont like the bedrooms at all in Proby theyre too..small or something. In saying that, Proby is a lot handier than anywhere else, both in terms of location and in the hassle of finding roommates/a nice house etc. Both good points and bad points to it really...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭glanman

I lived in the halls for 4 months, cheap as chips but very lonely places at times!! Proby is handy because so close but it is great to live off campus and proby can get very dirty, rooms arent huge. I had a flat in Linden Square, 7 mins walk. Savage flats, should get a room for around €550 these days, i paid 600 from penthouse, was treating myself after living in the halls!! About 5 mins walk to stillorgan too so right beside all the buses, cinema and tesco etc..

What MSc are you doing??

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dr_funkenstein

Cheers for the replies guys.. food for thought I guess!

Will be doing the analytics msc in blackrock, so ideally I'd be living around that area.

Advertisement