Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bleeding Hamster

Options
  • 26-04-2009 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi there

I'm a bit worried about my hamster and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have two russian dwarf hamsters and have found that from time to time they fight. any time i have seen them fighting i have separated them for a time and find they are ok again after so its never really seemed a big problem, however, i have just found blood on some of the bedding.

i checked them both and one seems to be bleeding around its tail. i dont really know if the other one has bitten him or if there is something else that it might be. has anyone any advice or suggestions??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

What size is the cage/tank that they are in? Sometimes the issue of space can set them off and perhaps someone on here can suggest what's the best route to go with improving the enclosure so they don't get so grumpy with each other.

However if worried do seperate them perhaps housing them side by side instead. Do wash the tail in a warm salt water solution to help keep it clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Russian dwarves aren't sociable (they hate being kept in pairs/groups) and will fight from time to time. Do you know what sex they are? A very large tank will alow them room to get away from each other, or alternatively split them as GPR recommends.

They can bite each other quite badly but if its a little blood-spotting then don't worry too much. I've seen them strip large patches of fur off each other - I stopped breeding them as I don't think they make great pets.

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 little red

i was told that they are both male and that they would be ok to house together, however now i am not so sure. i think i will have to separate them permanently

i checked on the little one today and he seems to be very wet around the bum area so now im wondering if it might be something more?

i have read about wet tail and am worried about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Whoever told you to house two male russian dwarves together knows nothing about them. They will fight constantly and will attack you if they think you are taking sides...

Separate them, keep the injured one clean - disinfect his tail area twice a day and if theres no improvement bring him to the vet.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Small animals go downhill quickly take him to the vet to rule out anything serious like wet tail. Also seperate them off if he is unwell it could be contagious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ashlingm

Im going to ditto that on seperate them, dont want to scare or worry you but i would do it asap. I was sold 2 hamsters when I was younger with the pet shop person assuring me they would happily live together...and they did for a few months. I never saw them fight (or else assumed it was playing) then one day I went to feed them and one had attacked and killed the other one. Wont go into details but Thats something no child should see!

I really hope you can sort something before something like that happens. Its awful! Keep an eye on the one who you think may have wet tail - hopefully its nothing serious!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Was Richard Gere over

Advertisement