Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way of retrieving form information

Options
  • 26-04-2009 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Hello ,

What is the best way of retrieving information that people have filled in , in say a contact form ?

I thought a simple 'mailto' would do the trick but apparently its not the way to do it ?

Any help appriciated thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

server side using PHP or ASP

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭SD1990

how do u do this ? do u have a code example ? dont know much about php or asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Have a look @ http://www.tectite.com/ They provide a ready made contact form script and include examples of how to set it up and etc.

This is the code i currently have. When you click the submit button nothing happens at all.

<center>If you have an enquiry, please complete the following email form:</center>.     
    <FORM name="em" action="/cgi-bin/form_submit/em.html" method="post">
    <center>&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp<B>Your Name: *</B>&nbsp
    <INPUT class=textMainSmall maxLength=60 size=40 name="name"><br/><br/>
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp<B>Email Address: *</B>&nbsp<INPUT class=textMainSmall maxLength=60 size=40 name="email"><br/><br/>
    <B>Telephone Number:</B>&nbsp<INPUT class=textMainSmall maxLength=30 size=40 name="phone"><br/><br/>
    <B align="top">Please Enter Your Enquiry here:</B>&nbsp<br/><TEXTAREA class=textMainSmall name="comments" rows=8 cols=47 type="text"></TEXTAREA><br/><br/>
    <INPUT type=button value=SEND name=Submit></FORM>

What i want it to do is send the info to the cgi bin , which sends it to my email and redirects the user to the thank you page.

The code in the cgi bin is as follows
    # submit file for email form

Tag-Required: name

Tag-Default comments ""

Email-file em.template
        Email-to client[EMAIL="client@gmail.com"]@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Return-document: thankyou.html

Subject: Comments from EM form

Comments from:  ~name
        ~?~:email==yes ~{-
        Email:          ~email
        ~}-

Phone Number:
    ~phone
        Comments:
        ~comments

anyone know how to get this workin ? or a simpler way to do what i want to do.

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

SD1990 wrote: »
    This is the code i currently have. When you click the submit button nothing happens at all.

That's because you don't have a submit button; you've got a button called submit (which is not the same thing).

Try INPUT TYPE="submit" for the button.

ok now the button is working :o

its still not redirecting to the thanks page and havnt checkd if its saving the info

its not saving the info either

still having trouble with this?

Can anyone see where my code is wrong and why its not saving and redirecting to the thank you page ?

or does anyone have a simler way of doing this. Customer fills out enquiry form and client receives it. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Moonstar

action="/cgi-bin/form_submit/em.html"
    That doesn't look right to me - the "action" part of the form should usually reference some type of script in the cgi-bin directory instead of a .html file.

• Advertisement

Ya that was wrong , terribly wrong, :p

Decided against CGI in the end. Couldnt figure it out. Went with VB.

Question..

Does the vb script declaration have to be before the DOCTYPE or can it be after , because if its before it changes my css:mad:

Thanks for the help lads!!! :)

Advertisement