Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Listening, sentences or key words?

Options
  • 26-04-2009 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

For our listening we are told to write full sentences as this will give you the extra 10 marks going for standard of Irish easier, but i was wondering if you just write down the key words/phrases and they are correctly spelled will you still get the marks for the answer and the marks for the Irish?

e.g. if the question is where is she from and i write
    "She is from Corca Dhuibhne Gaeltacht"
    do i get the same marks as writing just "Corca Dhuibhne"?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

As far as I'm aware it's just the keywords that are important, as long as they're spelt right and all.

Sometime you have to put in other words like "an" or w/e and you're grand.

I got almost full marks in the aural last year and I just used keywords. I didn't even write out "agus" I just used the little squigley symbol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Craigsy

just keywords i think. also i dont even think it has to be spelt corectly, just so long as it looks and sounds right so the examiner knows you heard the answer

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

Full sentences are unneccessary, I got nearly full marks last year, and probably wrote three or four sentences.
    Once you have the info they want, that's it.
    Some advice, the first time it plays, write nothing. Just listen. Listen carefully, then next time write your answer, third time, check it.
    Something my grinds teacher did with me, was let me listen to each section only once.
    I'd advise you to try this, it improves your ear alot, I was at the point where I could comprehend most of a piece first time round.
    Teachers tell you to practice aural work, and they're dead right, it's handy marks, for any language.
    Don't overlook it, it's well worth putting the work in.
    Think of how much time you've spent on your prose, it's worth what, 50 marks? 75? I can't quite remember.
    The listening is 100 marks iirc.
    Now compare the amount of time your teacher spends on each.
    The listening, and especially the oral parts of the leaving cert irish exams are *generally* overlooked, which is a shame.
    Stick to short sentences and key words, don't worry about those ten marks, it's only ten, you're better to get 75/90 in the rest.

Advertisement