Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Launch 24 mbit BB for €54.63 a month

Options
  • 27-04-2009 12:51am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

including VAT and Line rental and yes it is up to 24mbit as is every 24mbit BB package .

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/product_details/Broadband_24_for_24.aspx

Bit of confusion about the upload speed, is it 1mbit or 500k ( they show it as standard and as an option)

Eircom charge about €150 on the same basis where available. eg 99+ 21.50 vat + 26.50 line rental for 24mbits

at least we know that Unlimited means Unlimited though :)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    including VAT and Line rental and yes it is up to 24mbit as is every 24mbit BB package .

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/product_details/Broadband_24_for_24.aspx

Bit of confusion about the upload speed, is it 1mbit or 500k ( they show it as standard and as an option)

Eircom charge about €150 on the same basis where available. eg 99+ 21.50 vat + 26.50 line rental for 24mbits

at least we know that Unlimited means Unlimited though :)

Upload 500k, followed by 1meg optional add on already included? Pretty bizarre way to phrase things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Spear wrote: »
    Upload 500k, followed by 1meg optional add on already included? Pretty bizarre way to phrase things.

New website gremlins - 1Mbps upload as standard.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Nice offering...only wish I could avail of it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

result.

hurry the **** up eircom and gimme my second line! I need internets

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I believe that the price should be €54.63 including VAT, not €50.

It is strange then that they charge residential customers
    €71.97 for 24mb/1mb
    €61.97 for 12mb/640kb
    €51.97 for 9mb/512kb

:eek: It just doesn't make any sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

bk wrote: »
    It is strange then that they charge residential customers
    €71.97 for 24mb/1mb
    €61.97 for 12mb/640kb
    €51.97 for 9mb/512kb

:eek: It just doesn't make any sense.

Why is that strange ?

Broadband pricing is calculated based on a fixed cost for providing the connection + traffic and traffic is NOT the majority of your ISPs cost for the broadband. That's exactly the reason, why the faster the connection, the cheaper it gets per mbit/s.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Which is why Smart nor anyone else can offer all inclusive €20 (in line rental) 1Mbps. Which is what most of the market wants.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Marlow wrote: »
    Why is that strange ?

Broadband pricing is calculated based on a fixed cost for providing the connection + traffic and traffic is NOT the majority of your ISPs cost for the broadband. That's exactly the reason, why the faster the connection, the cheaper it gets per mbit/s.

What is strange is that for exactly the same company, the exactly the same 24mb/1mb service costs €54.63 including VAT for business customers, while it €71.97 for residential customers.

An extra €17.34 for exactly the same service. Please explain that?

And I assume there is nothing stopping a residential customer ringing up and saying they are a business customer and saving themselves €17.34 per month.

I've been saying for a long time that Smart has too many different packages, 6 different packages with a variety of add-ons. They need to simplify it like BT and Magnet, max 3 packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

An extra €17.34 for exactly the same service. Please explain that?

Well, in general it's odd and probably just web or marking-gremlins. Yes anybody can probably ring up and request the business package.

However, I would have full understanding, why they would charge residential customers more.

Residential customer use support a lot more, they often are not very computer skilled and they use their connection a lot more. Most businesses only use their connection 8am to 6am.

From that point of view, business should be cheaper :) ... it's usually not, because there are other services or conditions attached.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Now if only I could switch data plan without getting into another year contract and not loose me "Free line rental for LIFE*".....

*=Life only equals the length of the current internal SmartTelecom process and/or Owner {as stated by a CS rep 2mins ago}.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    Now if only I could switch data plan without getting into another year contract and not loose me "Free line rental for LIFE*".....

*=Life only equals the length of the current internal SmartTelecom process and/or Owner {as stated by a CS rep 2mins ago}.

No such thing
    , read around, it was a gimmick.

MC

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The new pricing

It is still really confusing and you run the risk of alienating loyal customers with it .

How about 1 3 and 24 for business and residential and that is it .

You have a year of synching at high speed under your belt , were there any stability issues with that policy

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The new pricing

It is still really confusing and you run the risk of alienating loyal customers with it .

How about 1 3 and 24 for business and residential and that is it .

Yes, I've been saying exactly that for over a year now. Max three products is the norm, BT, Eircom, UPC they all have only max three products, entry level, mid and high end. Far less confusing for the end user.

It also makes no sense that the business 24mb product should have only 500kb up, while the consumer product has 1mb up. Business products normally have the need for a higher upload speed, consumers not so much.

Also the business 24mb product makes the consumer 24mb, 12mb and almost 9mb pretty much irrelevant.

It seems to me that Smart are desperately trying to divide the market into artificial categories so they can try to up sell. That is fine if you are the monopolistic incumbent like Eircom, but this normally doesn't work for the small new player in the market. Then you need to be disruptive, making the products simpler for your customers, not more complex and giving your customers better value for money.

While I know they are inferior to Smart, BT are doing a noticeably good job at this, with their 3 upto 24mb products and attractive styling of their site, it is easily understood and probably very attractive to non techies, who know that Smart offer a better service.

crawler wrote: »
    New website gremlins - 1Mbps upload as standard.

It is interesting that it was 1Mbps up yesterday, now it is only 500kb. Big change in just one day :eek:

Going by Smarts current pricing I'd divide it into:

Entry level:
    2mb/256k €33.97

Mid Level:
    7mb/512k €46.97

Upper level:
    24mb/1mb €55

If possible I'd make the mid level 10mb/512k for €45

I think that is much simpler then their current pricing structure.

And it would be a relatively easy transition, most people would end up getting more for less, the only people who would be effected would be those currently on 5mb for €42, but if you gave them 10mb for €45, I don't think there would be too many complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

I'd agree, the pricing structure is a bit of a mess, besides got the little upgrade at the start of the month and it has made a good bit of difference, notable in remote login and in the download times for errrr Linux distros... ;)

Would be happy to go up to 10mb (line can take 22mb according to Smarts techs) for €45 if that meant a corresponding rise in upload.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

I posted a thread about it in the smart forums.

If it isn't too difficult, I will be becoming a "business" very soon. ;)

Answers - sorry only spotted this thread now:-

Mods - genuine attempt to answer questions here and no sales pitch intended (as there never is) but feel free to amend if you feel anything inappropriate.

In SHORT

Smart Launched a new 24Mbps for €24 Business only Broadband service in it's LLU footprint today of 37 exchanges. All existing residential LLU services are still available.

Everywhere else throughout Ireland - smart now offers a full range of voice and Internet services starting @ 3Mbps. All packages have unlimited broadband usage subject to FUP.

Media release here http://www.smarttelecom.ie/media/09-04-28/Smart_Telecom_goes_national_and_celebrates_with_the_launch_of_up_to_24Mbps_from_%e2%82%ac24_per_month_for_Business.aspx

FULL DETAILS

1) 24Mbps LLU product for €24 - upload is 1Mbps and 1 static IP address included. website being amended
    2) You need a VAT number to order the 24Mbps for €24 euro - it is a business only product
    3) Why 24Mbps business product cheaper than residential? lower bandwidth usage overall, lower support costs, more voice revenue from business, lower churn. also we will be reviewing the entire residential portfolio in summer to bring products more in line.

What did we launch today?

24Mbps for €24 (ex VAT and line rental) for Business in all our 37 LLU exchanges (500,000 lines) - VAT number needed for this product only. http://www.smarttelecom.ie/business_broadband.aspx

24Mbps for €49 ( ex VAT and line rental) in 300+ exchanges http://www.smarttelecom.ie/business_broadband/compare.aspx

For residential our full exisitng LLU product range is also available in our 37 exchanges (500,00 lines)
    http://www.smarttelecom.ie/home_broadband.aspx

A range of residential & Business voice and internet products NATIONWIDE (700+ exchanges) starting @ 3Mbps, with line rental, unlimited usage (subject to FUP) and landline voice calls

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/business_broadband/compare.aspx (Business)
    http://www.smarttelecom.ie/residential_offnet/residential_offnet_compare.aspx (Residential)

So in short - we now offer voice and internet services all over Ireland with no download limits where all other providers currently offer service.

Sorry some of this is confusing - hopefully the website will make it clearer and in the coming week or so we will have a new line checker that will match the best product available to your phone line.

Hi Crawler,

That is interesting, so Smart is re-entering the Eircom bitstream re-seller market.

FYI The new bitstream products aren't linked and can't be found from the new Smart website, probably just website gremlins.

However you guys need to be careful how you sell it, you don't want to confuse potential customers even more with so many new products.

I'm disappointed to hear that the business product will be limited to only people with VAT numbers, I most dig out my VAT number, but I assume it won't be available to Smart Vision Plus customers in fibre locations anyway?

Looking forward to hearing about updated residential LLU products soon.

Just to add, just looking at Smarts new residential bitstream prices and they look like some of the cheapest around, up to €10 cheaper then the same packages from Eircom and BT, very nice.

Smart needs to add some friendly price comparisons to the site :)

• Advertisement

thanks for the feedback....very much appreciated.

Lots of stuff being done to be honest.....

Regarding Smart Vision - see PM

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭gymnipities

I've been saying for a long time that Smart has too many different packages, 6 different packages with a variety of add-ons. They need to simplify it like BT and Magnet, max 3 packages.

No, I'd have to completely disagree. The extra choice is a good thing for the consumer and gives people the option to get a service better suited to their needs. That's why I just switched to one of their products - I wouldn't have bothered making the move for any of the others they offer.

Six choices isn't too many. Anyone capable of buying a yoghurt from the bewildering array available in supermarkets would find it a doddle. Look at the speed, look at the price, take your pick.

No, I'd have to completely disagree. The extra choice is a good thing for the consumer and gives people the option to get a service better suited to their needs. That's why I just switched to one of their products - I wouldn't have bothered making the move for any of the others they offer.

Sure, it may not suit everyone, but I believe less options tends to make it easier and less intimidating for most ordinary users.

What package did you get?

If Smart offered just the following three options, would non of them suit you?

2mb/256kb €33
    10mb/512kb €45
    24mb/1mb €55

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Nice one Crawler.

When will I be able to order online? Tried to order 24 meg business (bitstream) there now but the line checker craps out plus it only seems to refer to the LLU product?

Btw, what are the upload speeds? 1 meg?

Edit: Uploads 1Mb. Page updated.
    http://www.smarttelecom.ie/business_offnet/compare.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Shamo

Do you have to take their phone service with the 24Mb bitstream service?

crawler wrote: »

Crawler, are you sure these prices are correct, because if they are they are outstanding.

Smart Professional Plus 24mbps €70 versus €120 for the same from Eircom!!!

Smart Professional 12mbps (I assume it is the 1mb up product) €65 versus €85 from Eircom!!

* All prices exclude VAT.

BTW crawler, you mention that Smarts 37 LLU enabled exchanges supports 500,000 lines. How many lines does Eircoms 300 exchanges pass and how many do the other 700 pass? Just curious, I assume the 700 are much smaller rural exchanges.

BK - the pricing is correct. Thanks for noticing.

On pings - we now have the ability (even for off net / bitstream) to change interleaving etc to match performance to line quality, as we do with LLU.

I think the 700+ exchanges cover > 85% of all lines so more or less universal coverage.

the 300+ exchanges cover over 70% of all working lines IIRC.

Dont have the figs here

On ordering - you can order now by phone - just working on the full line checker (expected within a week or so). Upload is 1Mbps and contention on the extended service is 12:1. On LLU there is no contention.

Did I answer all?

(BK have not answered your PM - just back in office, sorry)

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

Will the new Smart residential packages on the 700+ exchanges be ADSL2 ?

cerbeus wrote: »
    Will the new Smart residential packages on the 700+ exchanges be ADSL2 ?

Nope - there are about 300+ exchanges ADSL2+ the others are currently ADSL (7.6Mbps max).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It a valid VAT number a prerequirement for the 12mbit and the 24mbit Business Offnet Versions , we know about the OnNet condition .

Advertisement