Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paradise lost 25/04

• 27-04-2009 12:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

What a farce
    I travelled from Dublin for this really looking forward to seeing PL.
    I got there for the end of Celtic Legacy- good sounding band.
    Then onto Scald-decent enough
    Grim Reaper-good fun classic rock-nice split between 2 extreme acts.
    Rotting Christ-not really my scene but good energetic set that I enjoyed

Then it begins
    PL take a long time to set up and when the start its obvious why-the mikes not working and it near impossible to hear any vocals. They lose the bass and have guitar trouble all the way.
    Just as Nick says what else can go wrong-bang goes the mike so he switches to a cable one and now you cant hear him at all.
    They do their best and to be fair when things worked they were v good.
    I dont blame pl.
    That venue was poor. I reckon its their fault. Considering the lights blinded the audience it shows you everything about the professionalism of the organisers.
    Merch stand a joke £12 for a cd!! Don't even mention the vinyl price.
    Also running a 'festival' where the headliners play 70 minutes and finish at 1am- not clever.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I thought apart from PL the whole thing was run very well, they had no end of bad luck. As for the merch stand, picked up a Thurisaz shirt for £7, definitely can't complain about that, one of the other lads picked up 3 CDs for £16 and got the Primordial - The Gathering Wilderness double Vinyl for £12.

My only complaints about the venue is the layout, putting the bar on the balcony and not letting people bring drink down mean't a lot of people stayed up on the balcony, and there was a large empty space behind the main crowd that took away from the atmosphere a bit. However when you were in the crowd it was fine, and the sound was impeccable.

Band of the night was probably Thurisaz, never listened to them before, but they were amazing live. Picked up the 'Circadian Rythm' CD after the set, worth getting your hands on. Decayor were a great open, although they started before the initial queue had even got in the doors, and they only got a 20 minute set too which was a shame, which for Decayor amounts to 2 songs, but still excellent band. Sorrowfall were also excellent, it's a shame it was Sleeve's last gig, but they played a blinder, loved the Bathory cover too, although Corey coming out at the end was a bit pointless, but kinda fun at the same time. Really enjoyed Grim Reaper too, light hearted, but very fun.

Overall the gig was let down by the headliners, Rotting Christ played a poor set list, only 1 song from Sanctous Diavolous (imo, their best album), they played 1 oldie, and pretty much everything else was from the new album, which I find very dull and monotonous, when they played DoD 2005 they were incredible, so was pretty disappointed. As for Paradise Lost, so many technical issues, but you've covered that. I'm not really a fan, but its a shame to see so many things go wrong for the headliner, although the monstrous f*ck up at the end (drummer appeared to forget the song, and not change into the next riff) was poor form, you could see the frustration on the singer when they walked off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Parental duties stopped me from going to this and by the sounds of it I didnt miss much.
    I really wanted to see PL. The setlist looked good all the same.
    Hopefully they play Dublin when the new album is out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

My God, I had no idea Paradise Lost were even still around! :p
    The last album of thier`s I bought was Host, have any subsequent albums been any good? There hasn`t been so much as a rumour about them in the Music Press in at least a decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

PL lost a lot of fans with Host. I at first thought it was poo but it definately grew on me. The following Believe in Nothing was a steaming turd.
    Things started to improve again with Symbol of Life which was still fairly electronic and the last 2 were heavier than the previous.
    Would recommend their last outing In Requiem if you want one to pick up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Was going to venture up to this myself, but decided against it as they were one of the only bands I wanted to see & I'd seen them late last year in London last year with MDB & Anathema. Read about the problems they had on Metal Ireland, so just as happy I didn't go.

Meant to check out Thurisaz on Sunday night in Fibbers, but completely forgot about it til Monday morning, so pissed off about that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement