Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Certification Questions

• 27-04-2009 1:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭

Hi,
    I bought my house in 1987 and it had just been rewired. I never got a cert with it as they were not in existence at the time as far as I can recall. I'm just looking over the new reci regulations and am wondering where do I stand as far as these go. For example I know my kitchen sockets are on a ring main , what do these regulations mean for me, or are they only of concern if I need to sell it.
    Also, how do I get a cert, or am I opening a Pandora`s box by even asking for one. I have never had any real problems with the wiring, but I would like to have one. What is the life-span on wiring or is there one. I know people with houses that still have bakelite switches in them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

get an inspection from a registered contractor if you're concerned.get a 2nd opinion on any major overhaul

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

get an inspection from a registered contractor if you're concerned.
    +1
    I never got a cert with it as they were not in existence at the time as far as I can recall.
    They were in existance long before that!

As you seem to realise: The house may have been rewired to the standard at the time it may not be up to current regulations. It may cost you quite a lot of money to bring it up to current standards.
    am I opening a Pandora`s box by even asking for one
    It is never a bad idea to get your wiring checked.
    I have never had any real problems with the wiring
    I am not trying to be an alarmist here, but that does not mean that the wiring is OK (although it may well be!)
    I know my kitchen sockets are on a ring main
    That is still allowed at present.
    What is the life-span on wiring or is there one
    There is no straight forward answer to this. It depends on many factors. If your house was wired in accordance with the standards at the time the wiring would probably be OK for some time to come.
    I know people with houses that still have bakelite switches in them.
    I know people that have wiring that defies logic and it still works, but for how long??

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

Regs are constantly being updated, theat does not necessarily mean your house wiring needs to be updated every time.
    If cables are installed properly they should be good for at least 20 years.
    If you're worried, get a contractor to do a full test and give you a full report with earth continuity, fault loop impedance, insulation resistance, RCD trip current and time values.
    Ask him to check continuity of all the earthing and bonding, earth rod etc, check behind all sockets and switches for correct earthing and good terminations.
    Even if it's only to put your mind at ease it will be money well spent.
    Expect to pay 300 euro inc vat for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Walker34

Thanks for the replies folks, some interesting comments there. I guess getting the wiring checked/certified is a good idea.....I shied away from it in the past because a contractor doing a different job commented in passing once that my distribution board was badly sited.....it was about 5ft from the ground to the top of it. He said it was too low and possible for a child to access it. Obviously having to move that would be a big expensive job, but now I see there is a max height of 2.5m on the new regs, do maybe my board has become legit by accident.....what do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

I would definitley consider moving the board up if it's not too disruptive/costly.
    I'm not sure on the regs for min height, but I would definitely class it as bad practice for the board to be so low.
    I'll get back to you about what the regs say.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I would definitley consider moving the board up if it's not too disruptive/costly.
    + 1

The good news it that in general moving a board up the wall means that the cables are too long, rather than too short (cables tend to come into the board from the top). This means that it is cheaper and easier to do.

The other alternative is to build a unit around the board so that a child can not gain access to the board in the first place. Just be careful where you drill!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

you could maybe buy a cover depending on the brand.a side-effect of these accessibility rules is that the equipment is more inviting for kids

Advertisement