Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Strike

Options
  • 27-04-2009 9:22am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

As everyone is probably aware by now nearly all the northside Buses are on strike.

I would have assumed in this situation, the Bus lanes would be opened up but no this morning at 8.15am on the N2 at the Tolka Road Junction, where there was traffic chaos, the Gardai were pulling over cars driving in the bus lane.

This is an an absolute disgrace. i would have thought the gardai would have better things to do then shoot fish in a barrel :mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Nice way to get the monthly quota up all the same.

Can I add that I was in the same car as PFB, and another Boards.ie user, as we effectively car-pooled this morning having heard about the strike.

We weren't in any bus lane, but did see this despicable behaviour this morning.

Nowt better to do? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 philip100

I would yet again like to thank Dublin Bus and the Unions for managing to get me a bollicking from my boss this morning for being over one hour late because of the "DISRUPTION", what exactly are you trying to acheive?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Whitewater-AGS

That is shocking!
    How dare the Gardai enforce road traffic legislation and keep the bus lanes free for cyclists, taxi's and other buses its a disgrace :rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

That is shocking!
    How dare the Gardai enforce road traffic legislation and keep the bus lanes free for cyclists, taxi's and other buses its a disgrace :rolleyes:

There is a seperate cycle lane and guess what there at no bloody buses and seriously who cars about taxis

and also, it was announced on the radio this morning that all in-bound bus lanes were being opened to the general public this morning :rolleyes:

It was before the announcement.

Look, Whitewater-AGS, it's obvious what went on here.

I've been commuting that route for well over a year at this stage, both by bus and by car as a passanger. I've never once seen a member of AGS at that junction, not once.

They picked a nice opportune time to sit there and shoot fish in a barrel, knowing full well that they'd catch a LOT of people.

I've no problem with the Gardaí upholding the law, but I do have a problem with the way they pick and choose their times and places.

It was underhand behaviour, no doubt about it.

• Advertisement

There is a seperate cycle lane and guess what there at no bloody buses and seriously who cars about taxis

and also, it was announced on the radio this morning that all in-bound bus lanes were being opened to the general public this morning :rolleyes:

There are more buses in dublin than just dublin bus, and who was this announcement made by, just asking cause i never heard it??

Just cause you never seen a Garda there does not mean anything, anyways this is a es forum not a place to air complaints or grievances with AGS as the charter states

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0427/dublinbus.html

A temporary suspension of all inbound bus lanes to Dublin city, will take place until 10am this morning to alleviate traffic.

Bus lanes will be open to all inbound traffic during this time.

This should probably be moved to After Hours?
    Or
    Commuting and Transport...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Didn't think they were planning anything today were they?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Des wrote: »
    I've no problem with the Gardaí upholding the law, but I do have a problem with the way they pick and choose their times and places.

Bit of a contradictory comment there, dont you think.

If there was an announcement to open the bus lanes under special circumstances then there should be no problem getting your ticket cancelled. It may just be that one or two gardai did not know of this announcement is all.

No need to roll out "shooting fish in a barrel" type comments. All I hear is "I want Gardai to uphold the law against everyone else except me".

Thread moved to Dublin forum

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I don't think any tickets handed out for driving in the bus lanes this morning will be upheld.

They were announcing on the radio that the bus lanes were going to be open until 10am.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Just cause you never seen a Garda there does not mean anything, anyways this is a es forum not a place to air complaints or grievances with AGS as the charter states

If someone see's the Gardai acting unfairly, which they certainly were this morning they have every right to say it here! It's not up to you or me to backseat mod the forum. Any Garda who hands out tickets to drivers driving in a bus lane during a bus strike is a moron.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I'd agree with AnonoBoy on this one. If tickets were mistakenly handed out while bus lanes were suspended, the chances of a successful appeal would be very favourable.

If you got one, and you believe it was issued in error, appeal it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

ah...

media might have to answer as well.

For example, I listen to 2fm in the morning from 5:30 onwards and depending on what time you switched on at would ultimately determine whether or not you got a ticket this morning.

'We have received a lot of texts asking if bus lanes are still in operation and we would like to inform everyone that yes they are'.
    Then after a while 'Gardai have opened up bus lanes to help ease the traffic situation and are directing cars'....

Now I was listening and unless they actually did do this what was I supposed to think given I am reading the really useless bastards carrying on in such a fashion this morning! God forbid someone might not be over an hour late because of their complete lack of common sense and decencey!

I jsut think it is really bad form.

i was at the traffic lights at junction of tolka valley park and they pulled over 7 cars before my light turned green.

now, i have been driving that route into work for the last 5 years 'ish.

i have never seen a bus lane check point there

just stank to me, to me of bored guards looking for a bit of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Usually they stop cars slightly further up the road, opposite the Maxol garage, or up past the cemetery. I walked in today, which was annoying, but I never understood the idea of opening the bus lanes in cases like this, surely cyclists, taxis, private buses and Bus Eireann still should keep the priority?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Ste.phen wrote: »
    but I never understood the idea of opening the bus lanes in cases like this

It's a no brainer. Thousands more cars on the road because there is no bus's... Open the bus lanes. Common sense prevails.

lightening wrote: »
    If someone see's the Gardai acting unfairly, which they certainly were this morning they have every right to say it here! It's not up to you or me to backseat mod the forum. Any Garda who hands out tickets to drivers driving in a bus lane during a bus strike is a moron.

Your right they do have the right to complain about gardai acting unfairly but they are offical channels for doing so and the es forum aint one of them and as i pointed out this is mentioned in the charter if people where to actually read it, that not back seat modding pal

Your right they do have the right to complain about gardai acting unfairly but they are offical channels for doing so and the es forum aint one of them and as i pointed out this is mentioned in the charter if people where to actually read it, that not back seat modding pal

This thread is not in the ES Forum any more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

For some reason the phrase "Kicking people when they're down" springs to mind.
    Maybe some of the guards in thier early 20's we saw this morning could use a bit of common sense
    Of course there are those that say they should be out catching criminals but thats not me.

• Advertisement

People who drive in bus lanes are just as criminal as those who rob houses and shoot people.

Don't you know.

Yeah, i have known them to be at glasnevin but i dont drive that way in the morning, sorry, i was more thinking about my route to work - which i assumed you would know what way i drive to work

SORRY

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Ste.phen wrote: »
    Usually they stop cars slightly further up the road, opposite the Maxol garage, or up past the cemetery. I walked in today, which was annoying, but I never understood the idea of opening the bus lanes in cases like this, surely cyclists, taxis, private buses and Bus Eireann still should keep the priority?

I wish that was the case. Planks opening the bloody bus lane made me late for work the B@stards.

I jumped into a taxi in Finglas village, (the bus lane wasn't open 10 mins before hand), and because of the stupidity, my fare was already up to around 15 quid by halfway past the cemetery.

Took a bloomin age to get into CC.

Maybe they should open the bus lanes when taxi's / cyclists go on strike too eh?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I wish that was the case. Planks opening the bloody bus lane made me late for work the B@stards.

I jumped into a taxi in Finglas village, (the bus lane wasn't open 10 mins before hand), and because of the stupidity, my fare was already up to around 15 quid by halfway past the cemetery.

Took a bloomin age to get into CC.

Maybe they should open the bus lanes when taxi's / cyclists go on strike too eh?

You were a bigger fool for getting a taxi.
    I'd sooner walk.

Degsy wrote: »
    You were a bigger fool for getting a taxi.
    I'd sooner walk.

Yeah, thanks for the input. Walk all the way to Grafton Street, and either be soaked by rain, or be horrible and sweaty by the time I get into the office - not good choices.

jaysis what was your taxi going up past glasnevin for ?????????

you got totally screwed by the taximan

you should have gone through drumcondra

jaysis what was your taxi going up past glasnevin for ?????????

you got totally screwed by the taximan

you should have gone through drumcondra

Well, I didn't know they had opened up the bus lane to regular traffic. And they hadn't done 10 mins before I got into to cab - so neither of us knew.

As we were just getting to Phibsborough, she got a call on the radio saying "....by the way, dont go past Glasnevin..."

Great timing :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Lads, for those in Finglas the 19/19a were and are running normally. It's a short walk from the village to the stops.

they'll be fooking packed at home time.

I'm tempted to delete that post to ensure I get a place :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭tv3

Those bus drivers should BE ALL sticking together to get what they want for them and the likes of "us people",instaed of some of the greddy drivers going back to work !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement