Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fleas?

Options
  • 27-04-2009 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭

Hey! So was over at my mums house the other day. My sister's kids were there earlier in the week and had been playing with the neighbours dog (my mum has no pets) but that night they got itchy and the next morning my sister and one of her kids had bites.

Then they went home, and my mum got bites (like hives). Then I called over and the next morning I had hives (a collection on my leg near my knee).

I have an indoor cat and so we have never had problems with fleas. But I'm worried that I brought them home with me?

Also I brought over a teddy from my mum's place - could that have transferred them?

I need to know if they could have travelled with me. My cat or my bf haven't been itching.. only me so far.

Any advice? Should I do the treatment (house & cat)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Did you see actual fleas on the dog or a black kind of gritty dirt?
    Strange that everyone ended up with hives, was it a warm day were there any midges out and about?

We had a bit of a hive breakout here last week but no fleas etc. here it's that time of year when kids etc. break out in hives not sure why possibly something to do with the weather or something.

Flea treatment wise for cats Advantage or Advocate for cats is good to use just make sure you get the one for cats and not dogs as the dog one would be too strong.

You may have just been bitten by midges or mozzies, check the house and cat, as said, look for black gritty dirt on the cat and fleas are pretty easy to spot if you look carefully.

There are products you can get but regular hoovering will help a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Thanks for the reply!

I wasn't there when the kids were playing with the dog. I think it could be a coincidence.

I checked our cat and she has nothing in her fur so I think we're safe enough. Also the bf doesn't have any bites, so hopefully it's just normal hives.

Advertisement