Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Braces

Options
  • 27-04-2009 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭

So anyway, not technically a LL issue more of a dental topic but anyway, I am here to moan, not to ask for dental advice!!

Got a bottom brace fitted on saturday. Its effing sore!!! I swear to god, I have had a a headache since and the pressure is unreal. Also I am consciously/ subconsciously holding my lip away from the brace so I look like someone holding something in my mouth!! Cant even kiss the BF :(

And the guy sho sits behind me in work, keeps farting and its vile!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Painkillers are your friend. Also if the brace is cutting the inside of your lip get wax for them. You just stick it onto the brackets and it stops them cutting into your lip!

Also the dental issues forum might be of use to you! Plenty of us complaining about the pain of braces. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Yea if its rubbing your lip you should have been given wax from your dentist, pop back in and ask them for some.

Nurophen was a life saver when i first got mine on and for the first day when they were tightened every few wks. You will get used to them it takes time.

It's worth it tho. When you get them off you'll feel weird without them, I know you cant imagine that now but you will!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,909 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

The pain and pressure usually only lasts a couple of days, and then you get used to it pretty quickly :)

As an above poster said, get the wax from your ortho, and just grin and bear it.

Sure twill all be worth it, soon you'll be looking like this :D!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

Wax is your friend
    I had to have it done TWICE
    TWICE I tells ya- both top AND bottom

My pain threshold seems to be higher, when my sister had them it was bad. She even got abseses(sp) in her mouth. She would get sick from the pain each time they tightened them, headaches and wouldnt eat for at least 3 days.
    In contrast I loved when they tightened the feckers - it meant I was getting closer to a good set of peraly whites.grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Bite through the pain

stay away from
    tofffee
    chewing gum
    apples
    and always have mirror, tooth brush and dentists number handy
    sorry to scare you but I still have scars (emotional ones also) in my mouth from wire sticking into my cheek or other parts. Good times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Yes I have wax thank god!! I feel muh better already today, they are ceramic so some people havent even noticed them!

• Advertisement

Dude. . c'mon!!!

There are much worse things out there and yet you have to start a thread about braces. . . Grin and bear it.

It will ease up after a while. . wax and pain killers are now your best friend! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Dude. . c'mon!!!

There are much worse things out there and yet you have to start a thread about braces. . . Grin and bear it.

Ah here!
    Nothing wrong with a bit of brace-related ranting :P

I've had mine for five years and I'm getting tired so tired of them. Only one in my college course left with them :(

I don't mind the physical pain so much, painkillers tend to sort that out! I just mind people being mean about them -

Some guy came up to me before and said "When are you getting your braces off?"
    "Not sure, why do you ask?"
    "Oh! Call me when they're off!"

They can make you feel so insecure at times :(

But I guess it's something a good few people have to go through...
    Can't wait for the whites at the end of the tunnel
    :pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Ah here!

He sounds like an absolute loser! Don't need boys like him.

I had braces for three years, have had them off for two. SO worth the pain. As others said, wax and Neurophen are your mates. You barely even notice the bottom ones at all, especially the ceramic kind.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ah here!
    Nothing wrong with a bit of brace-related ranting :P

I've had mine for five years and I'm getting tired so tired of them. Only one in my college course left with them :(

:

Era dont mind him,personally I think girls look really cute with braces :) .All the pain will be worth it op when you have lovely straight teeth :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Dude. . c'mon!!!

It will ease up after a while. . wax and pain killers are now your best friend! :D

I am aware there are worse things, Is this not a discussion board where we can post topics and have people answer if they wish?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Era dont mind him,personally I think girls look really cute with braces :) .All the pain will be worth it op when you have lovely straight teeth :)

I agree. I got braces when I was 31 and felt very self conscious about them but I found the reaction to them from guys was very positive. And I can say the self-consciousness and discomfort (and cost!) was all worth it when I got them off. I love my straight teeth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Thing is people who've not had braces don't really understand how sore and annoying they can be on a daily basis.
    I had train tracks (visible!!) for 3 ish years. Had my cheeks dented/cut gums swollen, inner lip ripped etc. It all blinkin hurts! As for the wax, mine always came off & I'd near choke on it! lol.
    Carrots & tuna are not your friend.

Painkillers are, I know we can't give medical advice, but I used to take two panadol when I'd get back from having mine tightened etc, and it would just ward off the worst of the ache. See with teethache, you can't clench your jaw to get rid of it. It can be very uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Just got my braces off yesterday(for the third time, heh heh heh) and let me tell you the pain is well worth it. Not even for the aestethics, but for the joy of eating a roll. People without braces don't appreaciate the simple things in life enough says I.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I had braces for 4 years but luckily got them on at age 10 and off at 14. Just think of the pretty smile you'll have when you're finished. And at least you're not wearing headgear, I had a super sexy instrument like this:

headgear.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

i had braces, and then train tracks for a few year.. got them off in 5th year then a few fews later ran out to the car and fell and broke some of my front teeth >.<

ohhhh the joys!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Lilym

I have had braces off for about three months .. wax all the way for the soreness . It will be well worth it good luck :)

Advertisement