Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael's health system propsals

Options
  • 27-04-2009 10:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭

I apologise if there's a thread on this already, but I had a bit of a look around and didn't see anything.

I'm just wondering what this board thing of Fine Gael's proposal to model the Irish health system after what's going on in the Dutch system. From what I gather, the system entails the mandatory purchase of private health insurance by every person in the country,subsidised for low-income earners by the State. In this system, there are no more public hospitals or facilities, which effectively removes the State from the healthcare 'business'. The benefits, I suppose, is that it ensures less wasteful use of resources, increased competition and shorter waiting lists.

So are there any drawbacks to such a system? I wouldn't be a supporter of FG, but one of the things that this country has been crying out for has been universal health insurance. To me, it's one of the single most important issues we could face, I am strongly considering voting FG in the next election as a result of this sole initiative. I was just wondering what the general opinion on this concept is, whether or not it would work in Ireland, what possible drawbacks there could be. I don't know much about this sort of thing, so I'd like to generate a discussion on the matter.

Here is the Wiki article on the Dutch system which might explain things a little better: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_care_in_the_Netherlands

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

It looks like a pretty good model. Any feedback from the Dutch people on how it's been working out for them?

My philosophy for some time has been: if what you're doing isn't working, do something different. It's hard to escape the conclusion that the HSE is irreversibly broken - maybe a proposal like this is exactly what's required.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

It was discussed last night on "The Week in Politics" where FF defended the HSE and FG discussed their proposals.

See: http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1046562

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I lived in the Netherlands for 13 years before moving here, and have experienced the system first hand, and can say that, for me, at least it ticks all the boxes.

There are, as you say, no 'public' or 'private' hospitals, just hospitals, most if not all of them run, as far as I can tell, as non-profit making organisations, or what the Dutch call a 'stichting'. That's not to say that you couldn't have hospitals or other medical service providers that were run as profit-making businesses, it's just that it would make zero difference to what they received from the insurance companies for any particular procedure.

The insurance thing is decided on a salary cut-off point. Above a certain cut-off point you are obliged to take out 'private' health insurance, and below that you're obliged to take out a subsidised insurance, called the 'ziekenfonds'. Things were changing a bit when I left, so I'm not sure of the exact position now, but it used to be the case that the ziekenfonds was a purely government run thing, but I think now that many of the other insurance companies now provide a ziekenfonds type insurance as well.

Note that the type of insurance you have has no impact whatsoever on the type of hospital you go to, the quality of treatment you get, which doctor you get or your position on the waiting list (such as it is), so there are no separate public vs. private waiting lists. Neither does it affect what the hospital charge the insurance company for their services. About the only difference between them, and between various packages of private insurance, are to do with ancillary stuff like being in a single private room with your own telly, as opposed to being in a larger room (rarely more than 6) with other patients, stuff like that.

Most importantly it gets the government out of the business of providing health care and puts it into the hands of people who know what they're doing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Just came across this via BreakingNews.ie;
    http://www.faircare.ie/

Interesting game on the side!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Yea, sounds like a good plan. Although it would take years to impliment here as the Unions would drag their feet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

And now I take another step towards voting for FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Sounds like a good plan. One thing that I can see wrong. Everyone in the country is obliged to take out Health insurance. Fair enough! Will this mean we then pay a lower PRSI rate and we won't need to pay the health levies anymore?
    That should be the case but I doubt it will be.

grahamo wrote: »
    Sounds like a good plan. One thing that I can see wrong. Everyone in the country is obliged to take out Health insurance. Fair enough! Will this mean we then pay a lower PRSI rate and we won't need to pay the health levies anymore?
    That should be the case but I doubt it will be.

There should be significantly lower PRSI, that's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

I'd be interested in hearing more about the non-profit side of things .. aslong as the money is ploughed back into facilities rather than pay ..then it is a system that could work. You will still need the bean counters to ensure the money is being spent wisely and not over budget (or it will cause insurance premiums to rise)

So still not 100% convinced until i understand more about the logistics

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Its a good idea if the main insurance companies are run not for profit, There would have to be very very strong safeguards to protect people who have long term medical conditions that private insurance companies would refuse to cover.

• Advertisement

Akrasia wrote: »
    Its a good idea if the main insurance companies are run not for profit, There would have to be very very strong safeguards to protect people who have long term medical conditions that private insurance companies would refuse to cover.

That's a good point. We would need to get Bupa back in here, once we get those corrupt swine out of the Dail.

EDIT: This is what the Dutch do to counteract this:

The Netherlands has a dual-level system. All primary and curative care (i.e. the family doctor service and hospitals and clinics) is financed from private compulsory insurance. Long term care for the elderly, the dying, the long term mentally ill etc. is covered by social insurance funded from taxation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

It's a good idea (personally I supported the Dutch model for quite a while - although somehow I doubt Enda stole the idea from me:D)

However, it is important to note that it probably would be very difficult to introduce in Ireland, given the ossification of the public service, the high wages that they are paid, and the lack of flexability in the health service in general.
    I would imagine that this would be fought tooth and nail, as a certain level of efficiency would have to be reached, and many admin jobs would have to go.

It would be a tough thing to implement (but easier then Singapore's;))

• Registered Users Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭SeanW

It sounds like a great idea, but I can't help but fear that the government of the day that tries to implement it would bottle it when the public "service" trade union mafia declares war on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Saw this on the week in politics. Absolutely disgusting. For profit companies providing health care, nothing but PD type neo liberal nonsense. The PD's FG are incorporating are getting to work quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Saw this on the week in politics. Absolutely disgusting. For profit companies providing health care, nothing but PD type neo liberal nonsense. The PD's FG are incorporating are getting to work quickly.

Why exactly does this cause you so many problems or create such disgust in your mind?

I was no fan of the PD's in their day, and the co-location plan is a sham of epic proportions, but shouldn't I/we have a choice? Surely if a private facility can provide good quality care and do so profitably then it's not a bad thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Akrasia wrote: »

Yeah well isn't it up to the individual people to make sure that they get good insurance? Why should the government have to hold their hand?

And why should we be forced to buy insurance? Its a given that this proposal is many times better than public health. But if I don't want health insurance that should be respected. It might be a foolish decision, and if I break something Im a gonor for sure, financially at least. But thats my own fault. Once again, why should the government have to hold my hand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Why? Wont the money motivate the hospitals to provide a good service?

Edit: I am actually very glad that this is being proposed. I will have to look into it in greater depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Sully wrote: »
    Interesting game on the side!

A pity that the headline grabbing topics are named, but some of the actual problems aren't mentioned e.g. lack of provision of long-term care beds, lack of uptake of childhood vaccinations, lack of single rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Is it the main difference between this and the American system that the government helps out the poor with insurance payments?

turgon wrote: »
    And why should we be forced to buy insurance?
    Probably for similar reasons to why you're forced to buy car insurance: if you're not insured, someone else is going to have to pick up the tab.

Face it - if you choose not to purchase health insurance, and you are (let's say) in a serious accident, you're not realistically going to be left on the side of the road, which means that there will have to be some form of acute care of last resort for the uninsured - which removes the incentive to be insured.

• Advertisement

John_C wrote: »
    Is it the main difference between this and the American system that the government helps out the poor with insurance payments?
    That, and risk equalisation and strong regulation of the insurers.

turgon wrote: »
    Once again, why should the government have to hold my hand?

So if you take a nasty fall and split your head in a life-threatening way, the hospital should turn you away, in this case?

John_C wrote: »

No. The insurers are heavily regulated. They cannot turn down an insurer and they cant wriggle their way out of paying valid claims.

The wikipedia article above tells ya all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I don't see anywhere for prevention orientated healthcare system.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I was no fan of the PD's in their day, and the co-location plan is a sham of epic proportions, but shouldn't I/we have a choice? Surely if a private facility can provide good quality care and do so profitably then it's not a bad thing?

More importantly when that hospital provides the same care to those who have their insurance paid for them as those who pay their own insurance you have a private hospital system with all the benefits of a government owned one.

Universal access through universal insurance is what makes this kind of system work. Private medical care doesn't have to end up with the mess they have in the States.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

What difference does it make who pays for the healthcare if the care is delivered? I'd be quite happy knowing people were profiting from the fact that I was admitted to hospital on time, tested with equipment that's working properly, correctly diagnosed, treated and discharged MRSA-free. If, on the other hand, I waited months for a scan, eventually got the wrong result due to broken equipment (not that it would matter because my cancer would now be terminal due to the delay), and was left to die on a trolley in a corridor while every superbug in the hospital had a party in my body, I doubt I'd be taking comfort from that fact that the fat cats had a few quid less.

Pride Fighter, I normally agree with you here, and respect your well thought-out opinions, but in this case I think you're being completely blinded by ideology. Surely a system where everyone is treated equally and has access to excellent healthcare is far better than the current two tier BS? If you want to see the result of a real disgusting system, pop into the Mater A & E ward sometime. Careful you don't trip over a patient though.

Breezer wrote: »
    What difference does it make who pays for the healthcare if the care is delivered? I'd be quite happy knowing people were profiting from the fact that I was admitted to hospital on time, tested with equipment that's working properly, correctly diagnosed, treated and discharged MRSA-free. If, on the other hand, I waited months for a scan, eventually got the wrong result due to broken equipment (not that it would matter because my cancer would now be terminal due to the delay), and was left to die on a trolley in a corridor while every superbug in the hospital had a party in my body, I doubt I'd be taking comfort from that fact that the fat cats had a few quid less.

Pride Fighter, I normally agree with you here, and respect your well thought-out opinions, but in this case I think you're being completely blinded by ideology. Surely a system where everyone is treated equally and has access to excellent healthcare is far better than the current two tier BS? If you want to see the result of a real disgusting system, pop into the Mater A & E ward sometime. Careful you don't trip over a patient though.

Yup. Ideology tends to do that to people. I find its better to think first, then make your mind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭eoinbn

One big difference betweeen here and holland is hollands extremely high popualtion density. I image that is much easier to "shop" around for the best hospital when their is 3-4 within 15-20km, where as in many parts of ireland there is little to no choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

A pity that the headline grabbing topics are named, but some of the actual problems aren't mentioned e.g. lack of provision of long-term care beds, lack of uptake of childhood vaccinations, lack of single rooms.

Have another look bigjim:
    Fine Gael recognises that significant bed capacity in hospitals could also be freed-up if patients facing delayed discharge or requiring rehabilitation could be treated in the Community. We will publish specific proposals on this issue over the next few months to address the current deficits in long-term care and rehabilitation.

And listed under "New Costs," which are later balanced against "Additional revenues":
    Expansion of primary care and upgrading of hospital infrastructure (private rooms, etc.)

Nothing in there about vaccinations though, although the idea is that a slimmed-down HSE would remain and be allowed to focus on Public Health.
    eoinbn wrote:
    One big difference betweeen here and holland is hollands extremely high popualtion density. I image that is much easier to "shop" around for the best hospital when their is 3-4 within 15-20km, where as in many parts of ireland there is little to no choice.
    True enough, but a big part of the plan is to improve primary care in the community (and have it covered by the health insurance), thereby getting people out of hospitals altogether, allowing them to be more efficient. Therefore, we wouldn't need as many hospitals.

• Advertisement

Breezer wrote: »
    I'd be quite happy knowing people were profiting from the fact that I was admitted to hospital on time, tested with equipment that's working properly, correctly diagnosed, treated and discharged MRSA-free.
    An excellent point.

Advertisement