Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lady owner, renting room to a male

Options
  • 27-04-2009 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭

Hi, i have a room to rent in my house and im just wondering has anyone rented a room in their house to a male when they are the only person living in the house, ie lady owner occupier, and if so how did you find it?

I had a girl living with me but shes just moved out, and i havent had much interest and at this stage i just really need to find someone, but just wasnt sure about getting a male in, just being bit wary i suppose.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

have you tried dropping the rent to make it more attractive?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sorry, i dont get what you mean?? I asked about living with a male, nothing to do with price of rent, what do you mean more attractive?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

andreac wrote: »
    Sorry, i dont get what you mean?? I asked about living with a male, nothing to do with price of rent, what do you mean more attractive?

you said you were not getting much interest in the room right?

So I'm suggesting maybe lowering the rent = more interest = potentially more viewers = increasing chance of a female viewer

The rental market is continuing to be flooded and is increasing at about 10pc a month so you really have to make the price of the rent more "attractive" competitive etc especially if you want to be somewhat choosy in who you let it to.

Sorry, I have no horror stories of being a woman sharing with a guy, so I'm trying to offer an alternative suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

Hey, ive rented been the renter and rentee if there is such word! with both male and female. found that it works better with females. only ever lived with one other person. just go with your gut feeling and you will be fine. end of the day its money in...

Oh right sorry, thanks.
    The price i have the room at is a lot lower than all the rooms in the area so it should be attracting people, but maybe i just need to wait and see if people start calling,its only up 3 weeks and ive only had 1 caller, a male which i think is coming to view on tues, so just wondered if people had any experience of living with a male if they are female.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

shouldn't the personality of the person make more of a difference than their sex?

I've lived with both and found men tidier and less stressfull tbh.

They don't leave make up marks everywhere, there is toilet paper left and they don't have erratic mood swings.

Oh of course, i am more thinking about a female on her own sharing with a strange male, thats where im coming from. Just wondering how females found it if they rented out a room to a male for first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MadgeBadge

I've lived with both and found men tidier and less stressfull tbh.

They don't leave make up marks everywhere, there is toilet paper left and they don't have erratic mood swings.

I'm stressing your own point Incognito but doesn't that depend upon the personality of the person rather than their sex?

OP, I've lived with alot of different people, all men (it just worked out that way, not a preference), in the past and it all boils down to the individual. I'd suggest trying to get an impression what he'll be like to live with when he comes to view the place.

Good luck :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i have to say when i was renting out a room in my house

i was very wary of inviting a men into my house but as it turned out, i got a female and everything was grand.

i know where you coming from and i have heard some horror stories but i dont want to scary you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

OP: you will get strange females and you will get strange males. You will get messy females and you will get messy males. You will get horror stories and you will get succes stories.

You need to judge each potential renter individually yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I think it depends on you as a person.

I rented to a girl, brilliant I loved it.

I rented to a fella, I just wasn't as mad on it. He was absolutely fine. Silly things started annoying me - the smell of his deodorant/aftershave, I began hating that my apartment smelled of a fella rather than me/or a girl.

Anyhoo, as for wariness - I think obviously if you get a bad vibe from a male or a female don't rent to them. But it really depends on you who you want to rent to male or female. Saying that, I ended up renting to the fella cos I just wanted anyone in at that stage which may be the case with you as well. (But as I said before, he was fine, it was just me! :))

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I am a male and I typically share my apartment with females, although I have lived with males in the past.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Personality clashes can happen regardless of sex.

You really need to take people on a case by case basis. I assure you women can be just a crazy - or crazier - then men. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I see where you are coming from, as back some months ago I pondered the same thing, and am now looking for either male or female. The best way is to trust your gut. I have been looking since end Jan, even with reducing rent etc. to no avail - looking in the other properties in the area, it seems none of them are shifting either. In the current climate I have had a messer who kept saying yes I will take it, and then saying I'll let you know next week etc, where after over a month of this, I have decided even if he says he will take it, I am not taking him on, as if he is like this now, what will he be like down the road - a lot more to the story than what is written here by the way, but don't want to say too much in case it identifies me, if he happens to be on here too.

Basically, ensure that you do get references, and follow your own instincts, is the best way forward.

Thanks everyone, yeah think i just need to be a bit more open minded and get a feel of the person, whether male or female. I was just being bit nervous and the thought of a male but maybe it will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm not sure if you are hinting at concerns for your personal safety or not.

Now, there are no 100% guarantees, but I doubt he'll be paying visits to your bedroom in the middle of the night. Remember, as tenant he will have to respect you as the authority figure.

You do need to assure your self that he isn't a drunk, junkie, light-fingered, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Be careful, you might end up marrying them! Happened a friend of mine who let a room in her house to a guy...and I also married the owner of the house I rented a room in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

I had to laugh when I read this because it is so true in my experience!

Advertisement