Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Klinnsman sacked by Bayern Munich.

• 27-04-2009 10:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭

The 1-0 loss to Schalke over the weekend was obviously the last straw. Wonder if he'll look for a job in the Premiership. My money would be on a big money move to Man City during the summer. Watch this space...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Silly move, he was appointed less than a year ago so really he hasn't has a chance to make his own team just tweek someone elses, they should have given him another year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Seaneh wrote: »
    Silly move, he was appointed less than a year ago so really he hasn't has a chance to make his own team just tweek someone elses, they should have given him another year.
    Not to mention the fact that Bayern still have a realistic chance of winning their league. They are only three points behind with five games to go.
    You'd think they would have given him til the end of the season to see how the title challenge would pan out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Wow, what a stupid move for the reasons stated above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

What a stupid move. 3 points off with 5 games to go, and you sack your manager. Might as well throw in the towel. Beyond that, because there's still a chance, I'd say that they'll rush the appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Now all we need to do is get rid of Rafa and get Jurgen in to replace him. But how?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lol! :D

Silly stuff, Bayern have the whiff of Real about them in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

As a Bayern fan I'd probably represent a large proportion of the fans (online anyway) who are in two minds about this. Klinsmann was dedicated to the team and obviously had lofty idea's on how to coach the team (he was introduced with a brand new training facility etc.). No doubt, with time, he'd get the team to a good place. The problem is that he's going to loose some vital players this year, and could loose more if he's not careful. World class players won't stick around in a team that looses key games, or even easy games.

The other problem is who do you replace him with? Fans liked him, most of the players seemed to like his relaxed style, but it just didn't click fast enough. Despite losses the team are in a massively profitable situation right now, so they can afford pretty much anyone out there...

Yeah, bayern are one of about 4 teams in Europe who can realistically spend 100million this summer and not be left in massive debt, Klinsman would have spent the last 9 months identifying posistions in the first team he would like to improve and players he felt could do this, whoever comes in will only have a few months to replace anyone they lose and mould a squad to his system, will leave bayern ever weaker IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Bayern more or less had the league won at this stage last season, and eventually won it by 10 points, you can see why they might have lost patience.

The mind does your username when reading that post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Very odd move. As somebody said, a touch of the Real about it. Though at least they wait till someone's won the league or Champions League before firing them :p

Klinsmann seems a decent manager with the right bunch of players - not sure he'd be at his best with a team of big stars (as City will plan on being next year) but he did a smashing job with Germany for the '06 WC which won't be forgotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Klinnsman will definitely be in the premier league by this time next year no doubt Possible clubs Chelsea,City and Depending on how spurs start next season......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Boggles wrote: »
    Bayern more or less had the league won at this stage last season, and eventually won it by 10 points, you can see why they might have lost patience.

1221020552628.gif

Anyone know if Mark Hughes contract is "sturdy"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Don't think Hughes knows if his contract is sturdy it all depends on whether the owners can wait to build a proper team or if they're going to change manager every year.

mike65 wrote: »
    Anyone know if Mark Hughes contract is "sturdy"?
    I'd say it's about as sturdy as Daniel Cordoba was in the 11th round against Bernard Dunne.

One can imagine the Arabs being seduced by the idea of a Klinsmann led Fantasy Football
    team.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

cant see him in the premership soon to be honest. He was very reluctant to leave the states in the first place and Munich seemed like a perfect fit but they are mad to let him go without giving him time Munich need to get there house in order to try and become a force In the c.League. the are losing a few players but are a well run club with a huge fanbase so attracting players should never really be difficult except of course that they would have to live in Germany.

I would say back to the states and only a really nice offer to get him back to europe. Coventry city will prob need a new manager soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

This weekend just keeps getting better, even when its over.:D

Hopefully Klinsmann comes begging for the VfB job. He won't get it, and I'll have a little laugh. He just isn't cut out for club management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Silly indeed. Pretty bad move when they're not far off the top.

I think Liverpool should do the same.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Stupid move.

Don't really see where all the support for Klinsmann is coming from.

He has not proved himself as a manager in any regard.

He inherited a double winning side and has been mediocre this season, losing 7 in the league, knocked out of all cups.

Add to that he has split the dressing room and the Munich fans.

He fúckéd up, simple as. Should he have been given until the end of the season, god knows, maybe things had got so bad it wasn't tenable.

Boggles wrote: »
    Don't really see where all the support for Klinsmann is coming from.

He has not proved himself as a manager in any regard.

He inherited a double winning side and has been mediocre this season, losing 7 in the league, knocked out of all cups.

Add to that he has split the dressing room and the Munich fans.

He fúckéd up, simple as. Should he have been given until the end of the season, god knows, maybe things had got so bad it wasn't tenable.
    Jaysus, give the lad a chance Boggles! He's only been in the job less than a season and it was far from beyond the realms of possibility that he could have won them a league title.

Fair enough they got hammered by Barca but in fairness the way Barca are playing this season that could happen to any team. Nah, they should have given him another season. This culture of instant results is a pox on football.

Pighead wrote: »
    Jaysus, give the lad a chance Boggles! He's only been in the job less than a season and it was far from beyond the realms of possibility that he could have won them a league title.

I'm being hard on him because he was the wrong choice for the job in the first place.

For me he is no different to Staunton, he just had a bigger gene pool of talent to choose from.

Ex pros going directly into the highest echelons of management straight away really grinds me gears.

I admit though, I have a bastard of a headache and it might be preventing at the very least some clarity on the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Fair enough they got hammered by Barca but in fairness the way Barca are playing this season that could happen to any team. Nah, they should have given him another season. This culture of instant results is a pox on football.
    Getting hammered by Barca is one thing, while getting hammered by Wolfsburg is another.
    I'd say their Bundesliga form has more to do with his sacking than European form tbh
    ..Bayern actually started reasonably well, it was mid-season that they started playing badly- no 'culture of instant results' there.
    Klinsmann made some wacky managerial decisions too. Playing Van Bommel at Right-back in a few matches and playing Toni 'in the hole' or as a second striker is madness IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Eriksson to Munch mebbe ?

Getting hammered by Barca is one thing, while getting hammered by Wolfsburg is another.
    I'd say their Bundesliga form has more to do with his sacking than European form tbh
    ..Bayern actually started reasonably well, it was mid-season that they started playing badly- no 'culture of instant results' there.
    Klinsmann made some wacky managerial decisions too. Playing Van Bommel at Right-back in a few matches and playing Toni 'in the hole' or as a second striker is madness IMO
    He's been in the job for less than a season! And yet again I'll say that he still had a chance of winning the league! Of course it's instant. I reckon there is something more to this than just results.

Vokes wrote: »
    Eriksson to Munch mebbe ?
    The only thing Eriksson will be munching is Ulrikas new boobies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

The only thing Eriksson will be munching is Ulrikas new boobies

She's 41? Wow. Didn't know that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

This culture of instant results is a pox on football.

Pighead speaketh the sense.

He's been in the job for less than a season! And yet again I'll say that he still had a chance of winning the league! Of course it's instant. I reckon there is something more to this than just results.

Isn't there 5 or 6 teams in with a chance of winning that league?

Public fighting with players and the generally accepted view he hadn't a clue what he was doing saw him get the P45.

In fairness to him though, Munich are just as much to blame by hiring him in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Maybe a mass exodus from Bayern now during the Summer. Some french guy there I wouldn't mind at United :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I'm so glad he's gone. Anyone who says this puts Bayern up there with Real in terms of sillyness probably doesn't follow the Bundesliga very closely and quite frankly doesn't know what they're talking about.

Klinsmann has no experience, no charisma and no respect from the players. That he tried to replace with some sort of formalized, half-baked 'scientific' approach to coaching and tactics and it didn't earn him any respect from the players and also it didn't give him any results either.

No matter how ambitious and conceptual in Munich you simply have to pair it with at least decent short term results too. That he failed to do. And anyone who says 'they can still win the league, that's not so bad' doesn't know the Bundesliga/Munich very well. To be successful in Munich you have to dominate the league, be on for the 'double' and make a very reasonable bid for Europe. (Reasonable means you can go out in the quarter finals but not in the fashion they did go out this year. They don't take humiliation very well in Munich.) Anything less than that you're a goner. Magath was sacked after two 'doubles' in two consecutive seasons because they were 4th at the halfway stage the year after that.

Also anyone who thinks he was great in 2006 with Germany is being mislead I believe. He had a staff of experienced coaches then and all he would do then was the 'motivation bit' (as if you'd need that in the WC in your own country), the press conferences and the 'Hampelmann' at the sideline.

I don't like him. He's a fool, he was overrated as a player, he is overrated as a manager and when I hear people saying 'bring him to Anfield' all I can say is 'Haha, good luck with that'.

realcam wrote: »
    I don't like him. He's a fool, he was overrated as a player, he is overrated as a manager and when I hear people saying 'bring him to Anfield' all I can say is 'Haha, good luck with that'.

WTF? NO ONE who follows Liverpool wants Jurgen Klinsmann over Rafa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

realcam wrote: »
    I'm so glad he's gone. Anyone who says this puts Bayern up there with Real in terms of sillyness probably doesn't follow the Bundesliga very closely and quite frankly doesn't know what they're talking about.

Klinsmann has no experience, no charisma and no respect from the players. That he tried to replace with some sort of formalized, half-baked 'scientific' approach to coaching and tactics and it didn't earn him any respect from the players and also it didn't give him any results either.

No matter how ambitious and conceptual in Munich you simply have to pair it with at least decent short term results too. That he failed to do. And anyone who says 'they can still win the league, that's not so bad' doesn't know the Bundesliga/Munich very well. To be successful in Munich you have to dominate the league, be on for the 'double' and make a very reasonable bid for Europe. (Reasonable means you can go out in the quarter finals but not in the fashion they did go out this year. They don't take humiliation very well in Munich.) Anything less than that you're a goner. Magath was sacked after two 'doubles' in two consecutive seasons because they were 4th at the halfway stage the year after that.

Also anyone who thinks he was great in 2006 with Germany is being mislead I believe. He had a staff of experienced coaches then and all he would do then was the 'motivation bit' (as if you'd need that in the WC in your own country), the press conferences and the 'Hampelmann' at the sideline.

He does however have great contacts in the Adidas marketing department.

*I kid you not, this was one of the reasons our beloved American custodians wanted him. Quite frankly, unbelieveable & truely terrifying*

• Advertisement

WTF? NO ONE who follows Liverpool wants Jurgen Klinsmann over Rafa.

See post #6 in this thread. Got a thanks even. But maybe they were being sarcastic or maybe they're United supporters...

That was humour, hence my LOL :D reaction and the ironic thanks from highsider :)

That was humour, hence my LOL :D reaction and the ironic thanks from highsider :)

I had that feeling alright. Not even Liverpool supporters are that deluded...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I'd side with the couple of posters who can understand this decision.

On the face of it seems ludicrous with Bayern only 3 off the top with 5 games left, but Klinsmann had lost the dressing room. They probably see this move as galvanising the players so they'll push on and snatch the title. I think they'll do it, whereas I couldn't see them doing it if he stayed until the seasons end.

The situation at Bayern the last few weeks has been interesting as an outside observer. For example I've started to see Ribery in a different light the last few weeks. Some of his behaviour has been a disgrace tbh...like coming off at half time in the Nou Camp swapping jerseys with Henry while covering his mouth as he was most likely saying disparaging things about his own club. Then last weekend getting stupidly sent off with Bayern trailing...the exasperated look on Uli Hoeness face said it all.

....oh and Klinsmann is hugely over estimated as a manager. The set up at Bayern is such that they can now just have Hoeness step in for the run-in, with The Kaiser having his say too. They are very comfortable with that.

Advertisement